• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Optical Quantum Blu-Ray Media opinions?

color43

I'm considering jumping into world of Blu-Ray backups finally. I'm trying to decide on some blank media. I know Verbatim's are the best, but the following link seems to have better reviews on Newegg. Has anyone tried this media?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817607025

The media code is PHILIP-R04. At first I thought, "Oh, it's made by Philips, must be good...". Then I looked at this site:

http://www.blu-raydisc.info/licensee-list/discmanuid-licenseelist.php

This site says that it's really Moser Baer. They're getting pretty sneaky it looks like...but everyone on Newegg seems to really be praising it.

It's always difficult to say when it comes to cheaper media. Some on here will just say 'use Verbatim' whereas some of us on here have had no end of problems with Verbatim. I personally use PiiData discs for SL and have had no issues with them but the only way I found out was by buying some in and using them. My back ups are still going strong 3 years down the line unlike my TraxDATA and Verbatims written 3 years ago.
Also never let the burner write to them faster than their rated speed, this will help reduce burn failures

I can't seem to find PiiData media anywhere. Where did you get yours? Do you mean RiData/RITEK?

Last edited:
Blu-ray Player Compat

It's better to burn a disc with ImgBurn with UDF 2.50 and keep file structure with the two folders and with verify. Then play the movie in your stand alone blu-ray player and make sure you watch throughout the entire movie, some people have had problems with skipping, or artifacts from these discs. I have bought over 100 of these discs and had about 5% bad or by my mistake.

It's better to burn a disc with ImgBurn with UDF 2.50 and keep file structure with the two folders and with verify. Then play the movie in your stand alone blu-ray player and make sure you watch throughout the entire movie, some people have had problems with skipping, or artifacts from these discs. I have bought over 100 of these discs and had about 5% bad or by my mistake.

I can corroborate. I have had the Philip R04 in service for up to 1.25 yrs with similar results and following the same burn time strategy as slee02. I had two out of 142 total that were retired with artifacts during testing of my entire library I did a month or so ago. Those two were 9-12 months in age. I've had a similar write failure rate of up to 5% at burn time.

Keep in mind that Optical Quantum purchases from numerous manufacturers so there's no guarantee that you'll get the Philip R04 disk. Caveat Emptor applies.

I use kodak bd-r 25gb and i have not had one coaster in about 85 backups

Back