• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Optical drive gone missing completely

Fritzner

Hello everyone.
This is the first time i post in this forum, so i do sincerely apologize if i do anything wrong.

In short (for those of you who can't be bothered reading the whole thing):
After completely uninstalling AnyDVD and CloneDVD from my computer i realized my optical DVD-drive (RW) had gone missing. It does not show under This Computer, nor under the device-manager. I'm using Vista Home Premium

My problem is as follows:
A while back i installed AnyDVD and CloneDVD on my computer, the trial version. I was very happy with the program for as long as it lasted, it had been the most sufficient for my needs i had ever stumbled upon. Now after the trial period i didn't feel that i had money to buy the full version so i decided to just uninstall it completely so i did this. I didn't wan't anything left in the registry because i read somewhere that it was bad for the system to leave unused strings in the registry. So anyway i got help from one of my friends to completely uninstall it all and a while later i realized that my DVD-drive (RW) had disappeared completely off the face of the computer. I tried a million different things, so many that i can't even remember half of them but still no result.

I have tried reinstalling the programs no luck. I really don't want to reboot the whole thing, since this is my work computer and as a professional photographer i really can't live without it for very long.

I hope someone can help me, otherwise i just have to send the whole thing in to get repaired and do without it for 3-4 weeks. Hopefully i can borrow another computer meanwhile.

Thank you in advance for you help

In short (for those of you who can't be bothered reading the whole thing):
After completely uninstalling AnyDVD and CloneDVD from my computer i realized my optical DVD-drive (RW) had gone missing. It does not show under This Computer, nor under the device-manager. I'm using Vista Home Premium

Your registry's filter stack is messed up.

a) Download imgburn. It's a free program: click http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)

b) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Click "Clipboard". Then paste the information you pasted into your clipboard into your next post (ctrl-v).

Thank you for your quick reply. Here is what the program came up with:

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.0.0

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]
Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD
Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Filter Name: GEARAspiWDM
File Name: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys
File Version: 2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
File Description: CD DVD Filter
Product Name: CD DVD Filter
Product Version: 2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
Company Name: GEAR Software Inc.
Copyright: Copyright (C) GEAR Software Inc. 1997-2009

Filter Name: PxHelp20
File Name: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
File Version: 3.00.83a [3.0.83.0]
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name: AnyDVD
File Name: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
File Version: 6.5.9.5
File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 6.5.9.5
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
Copyright: Copyright 2002 - 2009 SlySoft, Inc.

a)Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
b) Reboot

i) Create a backup of your registry: click http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 (scroll down for Vista instructions)
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program in my opinion)
iii) In Imgburn, go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "Anydvd". Click "remove selected filter". Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

Really Anydvd shouldn't even be listed in Filter Driver Load Order at this point, but if it is then remove it, and reboot.

Now, at this point if your drives are still missing it had absolutely nothing to do with Anydvd. Anydvd isn't on your system at all.

3. Now repeat step 2, but do remove both Gearaspiwdm and PXhelp20 using imgburn

4. Reboot.

Your drives should be back at this point. Now you'll have to reinstall Itunes and your Sonic software or whatever was using PXhelp20.

Hello again. I have done the above steps. I didn't make a back-up of the registry since i know that my CCleaner did this just last week :)
After uninstalling AnyDVD it didn't show up in ImgBurn. So i rebooted and uninstalled the two other things.
Still no luck, i'm still missing my optical drive :(

Any other ideas?

This is what ImgBurn is stating right now:

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.0.0

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]
Upper Class Filter: [None Found]
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: [None Found]
Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Thank you for your help :)

Still no luck, i'm still missing my optical drive :(

Okay, the problem had nothing to do with Slysoft programs then.

You've got some sort of driver or hardware issue on your system.

Go into device manager, are there any exclamation marks?

Other than trying http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html
I'm out of suggestions.

But the problem you had was never associated with Slysoft products. The problem occurring after uninstalling was coincidental.

Moving thread . . .

Thank you for that. Unfortunately my computer isn't running XP :)
Thank you for your effort though

Back