• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

OPPO .... firmware and related stuff. And also unrelated stuff.

I know other people have reported that his firmware works for them. Maybe it doesn't work in USA players? Or maybe it doesn't work in players manufactured in March 2018?

Last edited:
I got a response from him, he said he will be in contact tomorrow, "I am out." Meaning he's out with friends or something for the weekend, not "I'm done with you." :p

Still feel doubtful at this point that this is going to work though.

Last edited:
SOLVED! I think.

He sent me an e-mail today with two activation files attached. (One for each player I paid him for so far.) These two files had different SHA-1's from the previous one, which he sent as a download link. He had told me to rename the download link's file name to my MAC address for each player. That doesn't make sense to me, as then I could install his custom firmware on as many players as I want... I'm pretty sure the activation file is unique for each player. So I'm not sure why he sent me that. This was over the weekend and it appears he was responding to me from his phone, as he was "out," which I think means he wasn't at his normal computers.

So now, when using these new activation files he sent (each was already named to each players' MAC address), it appears to have worked. Except for .iso...

I tested region change. It works! You go to the "Disc Menu Language" and select "English" for region A, "French" for region B, and "Chinese" for region C. Then you power off and power back on the player. I tested it with a region B only original BD-ROM. It works.

I did not have time to test Cinavia yet.

I tested DVD ISO. Although the player now shows the .iso file from the USB drive (it didn't before), when I try to play it, I get a message, "File is not supported".

I only tested the one ISO. It's about 3.3gb, on a 32gb USB stick (exFAT formatted) inserted into the Oppo 205's front panel.
Update - The issue was with my .iso file, not with the custom firmware. CloneDVD couldn't even open it when loaded through Virtual Clone Drive. Sorry about that. :p

Update # 2 - Reauthored the disc by making the ISO with CloneDVD with quality settings at 100%. New ISO plays fine with custom firmware! :)

I also have a 3.3gb .mkv file on the same USB stick. It can see and play that with no problem.

I made the ISO from an original DVD using ImgBurn only, as the DVD did not have CSS.

Here is the info from the ISO that I tested:

GREENERDVDMASTER.ISO

https://pastebin.com/a9KVaHBf

Last edited:
So here is the summary for all the steps involved for flashing custom firmware for the Oppo 205 from http://www.bd-mod.com:

Follow "OPPO 20X downgrade Guide" first, then, follow activation instructions.

-> Plug FAT32 USB stick with UPG/MAIN20XCN.bin from oppo-20x56-0224.rar into front of Oppo
-> Connect Oppo to computer with USB to TTL
-> Connect Power wire to Oppo
-> Start MtkTool with downgrade.bin per guide
-> Power on player
-> Success
-> Disconnect power wire
-> Reconnect power wire
-> Put MtkTool to log mode per guide, hold down enter key on computer keyboard
-> Power on player, wait for "mt8581_base # ..." repeating, release enter key
-> Type upg into box, click Send
-> Upgrade Success
-> Press Oppo power button to power off
-> Start MtkTool with upgrade.bin per guide
-> Power on
-> Success
-> Power off
-> Put MtkTool to log mode
-> Power on

-> If flashed firmware version is newer than player's previous firmware version, front panel should say "Hello" , "No Disc"

-> If flashed firmware version is older than player's previous firmware version, there will be message at the end of the log, "version check fail! version not allow!"
-> Run flash again, this will make version check match the previous version, which is what was just flashed

-> Power off
-> Start MtkTool with downgrade.bin per guide
-> Power on player
-> Success
-> Disconnect power wire
-> Reconnect power wire
-> Put MtkTool to log mode per guide, hold down enter key on computer keyboard
-> Power on player, wait for "mt8581_base # ..." repeating, release enter key
-> Upgrade Success
-> Start MtkTool with upgrade.bin per guide
-> Power on
-> Success
-> Power off
-> Power on, player now boots with firmware from oppo-20x56-0224.rar (version 20XRU-56-0224, previous version and new version are now the same)
-> Front Panel "Hello" , "No Disc"
-> Power off, remove power wire, disconnect serial, pack player
-> Reconnect Oppo to television, power wire and HDMI cable connected
-> Power on, wait 1 minute
-> Insert FAT32 formatted USB drive in front of Oppo with only activation file in root, named XXXXXXXXXXXX.da1, where "XX.." = player wired LAN MAC address in all CAPS
-> Player shows volume bar on TV screen
-> Power off
-> Remove USB Drive
-> Power on

You should probably reset the player to factory default settings before doing the activation file. Power off and power back on after reset (player will show volume bar on TV screen after reset, wait for it to disappear). Menus will be in Russian after powering back on. Change back to English after activation. (Power off / Power on after changing to English.)

Tools I used:

- Good quality Phillips #2 screwdriver (only one needed for all screws)
- Adafruit Industries 954 USB-to-TTL Serial Cable (Wires: Black - Ground, Red - Voltage [not used], White - RX [connects to TX on Oppo], Green - TX [connects to RX on Oppo])
- HiLetgo 200pcs/5x40pcs Breadboard Jumper Wires Kit
- USB 2.0 Extension Cable

Prolific PL2303 Drivers for Adafruit 954 cable with Prolific PL2303 Chipset

Newer Adafruit 954 USB-to-TTL cables might come with the Silicon Labs CP2102 chipset. I didn't test this version because that's not what I have, but Adafruit says they switched to this because it's supposed to be better.

Silabs CP210X Drivers for Adafruit 954 cable with Silabs CP2102 Chipset

Last edited:
If anyone has an Oppo that can play back ISO files, if you feel like helping me with this, you could PM me and I'll send a link to the ISO file I tested with so you can check to see if it plays on your player. I'll post back if I find anything further out about the ISO issue, and also when I get a chance to test Cinavia. Update - The problem with with my ISO file, not the custom firmware. Sorry about that. :p

Last edited:
You didn't need to PM, you said that you can't play an ISO on an Oppo 103D. That's expected. Oppo removed ISO playback support with an update to the BDP-93/95 players at the beginning of 2012. Some people didn't update their firmware to keep ISO support. There is also custom firmware for 103/105 players that can play ISO.

So what I am saying is, if anyone has an Oppo player that can play an ISO, please PM me if you want to test the ISO file that I couldn't play back in the 205 with the custom firmware from bd-mod.com.

Last edited:
I have the jailbreak firmware on an Oppo BDP-103D, if that helps you in any way let me know. It plays ISO well enough but does have some other bugs. It uses the MAC address from the player, but its encrypted into either a DAT file or the firmware itself, or both.

Rdgrimes was nice enough to check my ISO on his equipment. He reports that it doesn't play on his Oppo, or in Fab Media player, or in his Dune player.

So, it's a problem with the ISO, not the custom firmware. Actually a good thing, because it means it's not the custom firmware. :p

Dune player says, "Playlist is empty."

I tested it here in VLC Player and CloneDVD, those also couldn't open it. I didn't expect that. Not sure what the heck happened to it.

I'll test again with an ISO that I test first before trying it on the Oppo.

Hey Pelvis,
You really are going the last mile on testing this software mod. I'm going to give it a try as well. I've just ordered the cables you specified.

One question. I think you change the player region by changing the disc menu language ? Does this actually still change the language as well as the region ? Don't think I want all my menus in French :eek:

It's a player setting. For region B, you would change "Disc Menu Language" to French, then power off, then power back on. (Region C is Chinese for "Disc Menu Language".) So if the disc actually has both English and French menus, and the disc doesn't offer the user to change the menu language, I believe you can change the Disc Menu Language on the Oppo back to English after you power back on. The player should stay at Region B until the player is powered off then back on again, when it will go back to A, if the Disc Menu Language is left on English. I haven't actually tested that, but I believe that's how it works.

It's a player setting. For region B, you would change "Disc Menu Language" to French, then power off, then power back on. (Region C is Chinese for "Disc Menu Language".) So if the disc actually has both English and French menus, and the disc doesn't offer the user to change the menu language, I believe you can change the Disc Menu Language on the Oppo back to English after you power back on. The player should stay at Region B until the player is powered off then back on again, when it will go back to A, if the Disc Menu Language is left on English. I haven't actually tested that, but I believe that's how it works.

Thanks ! I hope that's how it works. I've ordered the cables and firmware. I hope I will have it all by the weekend and I'll have a go on Saturday. I'll post how I get on but it's hopefully going to be plain sailing now that you have done all the hard work :coolman:

When you buy the firmware, make sure you do it from http://www.bd-mod.com/ (www in front) or it might give an error when you click "Go."

After you pay via PayPal, if you click "Return to Merchant" it will give some Chinese characters that translate to "Payment failed." It didn't actually fail. Forward the PayPal confirmation e-mail to the "rong@" address from the bd-mod website, along with your the player's wired LAN MAC address. Tell him you need the custom firmware link and the .da1 activation file for the Oppo 203/205. He might want to wait to make sure you flashed OK before he sends the activation file, as he did me.

When you buy the firmware, make sure you do it from http://www.bd-mod.com/ (www in front) or it might give an error when you click "Go."

After you pay via PayPal, if you click "Return to Merchant" it will give some Chinese characters that translate to "Payment failed." It didn't actually fail. Forward the PayPal confirmation e-mail to the "rong@" address from the bd-mod website, along with your the player's wired LAN MAC address. Tell him you need the custom firmware link and the .da1 activation file for the Oppo 203/205. He might want to wait to make sure you flashed OK before he sends the activation file, as he did me.

Yep, I did have the Error 10 issue with the other link. I emailed him and he sent me the same link you quoted above. I've now received the rar file with the various files in it but no activation file yet. As you say, he seems to want to wait until the purchaser confirms that they successfully flashed their player.
I should get the cables today so should be ready to have a go either tonight or tomorrow.

I just purchased his custom firmware for my Oppo 105 players that I had been waiting to do for like forever. Like the 205, it has to load via TTL. I loaded and activated his firmware on my 105 players successfully.

The firmware version shown after loading his custom firmware is: 10XRU-83-1226

It should have the same features... ISO playback, automatic DVD region switching, manual Blu-Ray region selection, and no Cinavia detection.

The procedure to flash is nearly identical to the 205. The guide states only one sound board needs removed (because it isn't L shaped like in the 205), but it has a ribbon cable that I don't think is really possible to re-attach properly unless both sound boards are removed. It's pretty easy and nearly the same setup as the 205.

The flash procedure (only requires one bootloader to be loaded once, where the 205 had two):

-> Plug FAT32 formatted USB stick with UPG/MAIN10XCN.bin from Oppo10x-83.rar into front of Oppo
-> Connect Oppo to computer with USB to TTL
-> Connect Power cable to Oppo
-> Start MtkTool with oppo10xbl.bin per guide
-> Power on player
-> Success
-> Disconnect power wire
-> Reconnect power wire
-> Put MtkTool to log mode per guide, change baud rate to 115200 per guide, hold down enter key on computer keyboard
-> Power on player, wait for "mt8580_base # ..." repeating, release enter key
-> Upgrade Success
-> Start MtkTool, put in log mode
-> Power on player, should say, "Hello" , "No Disc" and log should show player successfully booted.
-> Power off, remove power wire, disconnect serial, pack player
-> Reconnect Oppo to television, power wire and HDMI cable connected
-> Reset player to factory defaults via setup menu

Activation on the 105 players is NOT done with a USB stick. It is done over the Internet. The player's custom firmware will look for an activation file on an Internet server. Make sure you contact the e-mail address on bd-mod.com and ask him to make sure the activation file is on his server. Once he gives the OK:

-> Power off
-> Connect LAN cable to player, make sure player is connected to the Internet
-> Power on (menus will be in Russian, change back to English after activation).
-> Wait 7 minutes
-> Power off
-> Power on, change menus back to English or your language.
-> Test ISO playback, test region switching

Region switching is the same as for the 205: Change "Disc Menu Language" ... English for Region A, French for Region B, and Chinese for Region C. Power off and power the player back on after changing.

I used the same jumper wires, USB to TTL cable, and software drivers that I did for the 205.

I attached the guide he includes for the 103/105. Again it was a .docx, I converted to .pdf.

Attachments

• OPPO-10X-downgrade-Guide.pdf
    350.6 KB · Views: 45
I finished by e-mailing him to keep me informed if he can of any future updates he might release. He replied and said that Oppo 103/105 is done... 10XRU-83-1226 is the final custom firmware he has released for Oppo 103/105 players. But, he said that he is planning on releasing 203/205 firmware in the future in the Oppo 60 version range. Not sure if that's free to people who already paid or not. We'll find out I guess!

I've pretty much given up on using the jailbreak hack on my BDP-103. Too many bugs, you can't use disc resume or auto-play, when I stop playback it dumps me back to the player's home screen. Indexing files on network shares is buggy and usually incomplete. Bottom line is that there are dedicated media boxes that do a FAR better job with ISO and media files and already ignore Cinavia. The region-free aspect is nice but also readily available in hardware kits. Fortunately its easy to re-flash the Oppo back to OE firmware and be done with it. If there was no other way to get the ISO support I might put up with it.

What version of the custom firmware did you use? Are you using the one from bd-mod.com? I know he's updated it several times.

This outdated page for example is still online, where he had version 80 posted, as well as version 77, tagged as "stable". (Minus activation of course.)

That was back when the custom firmware just loaded from the player menu via a USB drive, and also needed a USB drive with the "activation" to be in the player at all times. The latest 10x firmware from him is 83-1226, loads by opening the player and using the TTL port, and activates once over the Internet.

Last edited:
What version of the custom firmware did you use? Are you using the one from bd-mod.com? I know he's updated it several times.
I got it off eBay from a guy in Florida. Its keyed to the MAC address and runs off a USB drive plugged in during boot. Firmware version is 1226. Its a similar functionality to the autoscript that runs the SACD ripping function. Works the same as what's been described here.

Bought another
NVIDIA Shield TV 16GB Streaming Media Player w/ Controller $155 promo code PRIMO119 on ebay today.
Did not plan on this purchase but now I have 2 shields to cover my whole apartment. This thing will play any HDD I throw at it.

** post edited - Ch3vr0n |unnecessairy large font size & bold text removed **

Back