• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

OPPO .... firmware and related stuff. And also unrelated stuff.

Well, I've tested it with several UHD rips that have Cinavia and it didn't trigger. Haven't tried normal Blu Rays.
Interesting. Did you verify, that these discs indeed have Cinavia on the audio track you are listening to, e.g. with CloneBD?

Well, I've tested it with several UHD rips that have Cinavia and it didn't trigger. Haven't tried normal Blu Rays.
Sorry, not possible. If it plays BDMV for more than 25 min and doesn't trigger then either it doesn't have Cinavia in the first place or it has been removed by a ripping/encoding tool. This has always been the case with the Oppos and BDMV folders.

I just tested one and it triggered.

Wrong. Certain models like the 83,93 and 95 do NOT detect cinavia because they're were licensed for playback BEFORE the mandatory implementation data.

Proof https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/cin...blu-ray-players-disks-and-players-only.41885/

Or simply do a Google search on like 'oppo 83 cinavia' and you'll find dozens of results on it

They don't detect it, even WITH the signal present in the video.

You're not saying what model you're using for testing.

Last edited:
I think the discussion has been focused on the Oppo UHD models, both of which are Cinavia compliant.

Wrong. Certain models like the 83,93 and 95 do NOT detect cinavia because they're were licensed for playback BEFORE the mandatory implementation data.
Those models play a lot of UHD rips, do they?

There wasn't just mentioning of uhd. Also mkv etc, which those players play. That's all I'm saying.

Uhd players will naturally detect cinavia (though they may not do it for all supported formats), because uhd didn't exist yet at the mandatory implementation date. Afaik by the bd standard, detection is only required in disc mode (I suppose this could be interpreted as folders/iso) but not in portable file mode (because hey, they don't expect / want you to make an mkv of movies in the first place).

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

It is supposed to also detect formats specific to optical discs, even if those files are not played back from optical discs. So that would be .m2ts (Blu-Ray) and .vob (DVD). But not .mkv, .mp4, etc. This probably had something to do with Oppo removing .iso playback support.

Some people here said, that if you put those files (.m2ts, .vob, DVD and Blu-Ray folders) into a root directory named AVCHD, then the Oppo 20x players will not detect Cinavia on those files. (On a non optical source, i.e., attached drive or network.) Not sure if that's the case with 10x players.

Oppo 95 and earlier have no Cinavia detection whatsoever because they were made before AACS was finalized to require Cinavia detection.

Proof https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/cin...blu-ray-players-disks-and-players-only.41885/

Or simply do a Google search on like 'oppo 83 cinavia' and you'll find dozens of results on it

They don't detect it, even WITH the signal present in the video.

You're not saying what model you're using for testing.
We are talking about the UDP-203 and the jailbreak firmware.

I'll find out if I'm successful with flashing it. :p

I'm pretty sure it isn't the current one.
He says on the website, it is version 56-0224, which is the current (non beta) firmware.

EDIT:
Sorry, Oppo released a new firmware 60-0625 on June 29. So it is not the current firmware, but one version behind.

Last edited:
Received the proper sized cables today. They fit!

Installed the drivers for the USB to Serial from his .rar. It found the device successfully.

First step is to load downgrade.bin to the player using MtkTool.exe. That worked fine according to his guide.

Second step is to unplug the player, plug it back in, open MtkTool's log window, hold down the ENTER key on the keyboard, and power the player on. You're supposed to let go of the enter key when the following is displayed:

#
#
#

That... did not happen. Holding down the enter key appears to do a step-by-step boot process with the player. My messages stopped with the following:

0x8f500000-0xa0000000 : channel1 continuous
0x987c6000-0x9fe69f00 : channel1 dynamic
0xa0000000-0xaff00000 : channel2 continuous
0xaf030000-0xaff00000 : channel2 dynamic
0x40000000-0x42800000 : channel3 continuous
0x40000000-0x42800000 : channel3 dynamic

According to the guide, once you see "#" you're supposed to send the commend "upg" to the player using MtkTool. If I do that, nothing happens.

So, it appears to have failed for me. Not sure if the problem is on his end or mine. (Update - it was on mine)

Downgrade.bin appears to be the "loader" that loads the firmware. I believe that's what's running when I power on the player. So, it appears that it doesn't complete properly for some reason. Maybe the firmware on my player is the issue? Maybe it's because it's an Oppo 205 instead of a 203?

I tried reconnecting the sound boards to see if that made any difference... it didn't.

The other thing I noticed, is that his guide shows that the baud rate for MtkTool should be set to 115200 x 8. I got a fail message with that. The fastest I can set it to is 115200 x 4. That may be a limitation of the USB to serial device that I'm using. (Update - It was.) However, when I go to the "log" screen it defaults to 115200 x 8. I thought maybe turning down the baud rate there might make a difference... but setting it to anything other than 115200 x 8 results in garbled log window output. (It doesn't produce any baud rate fail messages here.) So maybe I need to be using a USB to Serial that supports 115200 x 8? (Update - I did.) From what I understand, most of them don't.

The only other thing I can think to try is to try it from a different computer. But I'll have to wait a couple of days to try it. It does seem more like it's his boot loader that is the problem.

Of course I tried e-mailing him but I'm not too confident in that because of the language barrier problem.

Oh well, I tried... I hope I didn't brick the player. (The third step is to load an "upgrade.bin" onto the player at the end which SHOULD put it back to normal load state.)

Last edited:
Here's the full dump of the load process, in case that tells anyone anything:

https://pastebin.com/K1QMgmsD
Update - The key line in the above is line 136. That's where the boot process should stop by holding down the enter key so that you can send the upg command to load the firmware from the USB. It appears that the boot process won't stop - even with the enter key held down - if the USB to TTL cable doesn't support a 115200 x 8 baud rate, or maybe due to other issues. Bottom line, is if this is happening to you, try a different USB to TTL cable. I used the Adafruit 954, which worked.

Don't know if these messages are significant:

line 336:
Code:
uvcvideo: Unable to create debugfs directory

line 355 - 356:
Code:
dbg_utility: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint

Last edited:
After many hours, I figured out my problem. I now have a successfully flashed player.

The problem, is with the USB to TTL device I was using. I actually purchased it AFTER receiving the custom firmware because he includes drivers for the CH340 USB to TTL chip. So I figured I should use a CH340 device. I bought and used this one (a KNACRO product). It supports a max of 115200 x 4 baud rate.

On a troubleshooting hunch, I tried using the first USB to TTL device I had, an Adafruit 954 which uses the Prolific PL2303 USB to TTL chip (Prolific PL2303 Drivers). This one supports 115200 x 8 baud rate. This is the one, that I couldn't use before because the connectors were too big. It has 2.54mm Dupont Female 1-pin connectors. The Oppo firmware flash port needs Dupont 2.0mm pin conectors. I was able to use the Adafruit 954 by using this cable kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077X99KX1/. So the way I connected it is: Oppo firmware port to a 2.0mm female -> 2.54mm female cable from the kit, this cable connects to a 2.54mm male to 2.54mm male cable from the kit, which can then plug into the Adafruit 954. It's important to watch the pins. The 2.0mm cable from the kit has double pin connectors, which is fine, since the Oppo port has 4 pins. Just watch which colors go to voltage, RX, TX, and ground pins on the Oppo board, which are clearly labeled. Voltage isn't hooked up, so the 2.54mm male to 2.54mm male cable from the kit only needs three wires. RX wire from Oppo board goes to TX wire on USB to TTL, and TX wire from Oppo board goes to RX wire on USB to TTL. To make things more confusing, the ADAFruit does NOT have its colored wires labeled! :cautious: They are: Black - Ground, Red - Voltage (not used), White - RX (connects to TX), and Green - TX (connects to RX).

After loading downgrade.bin (the "bootloader"), you unplug the Oppo, then plug it back in, then open the log screen on MtkTool, hold the enter key down, then power on the Oppo. I believe, that holding the enter key down interrupts the boot process until you just get repeating "mt8581_base #" lines. (It appears that this process wasn't getting interrupted properly with the CH340 USB to TTL, maybe because of the baud rate?) That's where you let go of the enter key, then type "upg" (without the quotes), then the Oppo will go through and do the firmware flash from a USB drive. The custom firmware has to be under a directory called UPG in the root of the USB drive.

After that's done and the front panel of the Oppo says the flash was OK, you then press the Oppo player's power button to power off. Then you set MtkTool to load the upgrade.bin, then press the Oppo player's power button to load the .bin. Once that shows successful in MtkTool, you should press the player's power button to power off, then again to power on, and make sure the player starts normally, with the front panel showing "Hello" then "No Disc".

I had several mistakes and headaches, even after using the Adafruit USB to TTL. I had loaded the firmware to the root of the USB drive, instead of under a UPG directory. When I got a firmware failed message, I could see in the log that is was looking for UPG/MAIN20XCN.bin. So I plugged the USB drive into my computer to move it to that location, but didn't do a safe removal of the drive (I just pulled it out after moving the file.) So I got a firmware failed message again because the file got corrupted because I didn't click the icon to safely remove hardware. Of course I didn't realize that at first and thought I hit another brick wall.

THEN, the guide that was included with the custom firmware doesn't include any instructions to power off and power back on after the firmware flash is successful. It goes from "then the flash is finished" to "Click the 'browse' in the 1 box, select the 'upgrade.bin', then click the 'Update' in the 2 box, then press the power button to start up." So I knew the player had to be powered off. But I thought I should pull the power cord. When I did it this way, even though upgrade.bin was successful, when testing the player, I got no "Hello" and no signal. I thought I had bricked the player! But, I redid the whole process (starting at the beginning with downgrade.bin), but this time, I hit the power button instead of pulling the power cord when the flash was finished. After upgrade.bin was successful, I hit the power button again and powered back on, and was so relieved to see "Hello" on the Oppo front panel, and also when I tested the player and it worked! So... the ONLY time the power cable should be disconnected is AFTER downgrade.bin loads successfully. Update - using the power button vs. the power cable is not what caused this. It was because the player had a later firmware version than the one that's being flashed. The Oppo player "sees" that the flashed firmware is older than the previous firmware, and halts boot. When flashing a second time, now the player "sees" that the flashed firmware is the same as the previous firmware, and boots normally. So, I'm not sure if the power button or power cable should be used before the "upgrade.bin" step. The guide doesn't say, but it seems to work fine using the power button. :(

Hope this info might be helpful!

Last edited:
Here's the download guide included with the custom firmware. It's a .docx, I converted it to .pdf.

I e-mailed him and suggested the following changes:

==========

On your old web page (http://www.uhd-mod.com/oppo203.html), it had:

"Release the ENTER button,(the UPG u disk must be on front panel) enter the upg (lowercase) in the 2 box"

The .docx file included in your .rar has:

"Release the ENTER button, enter the upg (lowercase) in the 2 box"

Is it no longer needed to plug the USB into the front panel? Otherwise maybe need to change back!

==========

This line:

"The flash port of the motherboard, the red box in the figure below."

I would change to:

"The flash port of the motherboard, the red box in the figure below. (Needs 2.0mm Dupont connectors.)"

==========

This part:

"Release the ENTER button, enter the upg (lowercase) in the 2 box and then return,
then wait. Until there is no more information to be printed, it is about four or five
minutes, then the flash is finished."

I would change to:

"Release the ENTER button, enter the upg (lowercase) in the 2 box and then return,
then wait. Until there is no more information to be printed, it is about four or five
minutes, then the flash is finished. Press power button to power off (do not unplug)." Update - not sure about this now

==========

This part:

"Click the “browse” in the 1 box, select the “upgrade.bin”, then click the “Update” in
the 2 box, then press the power button to start up. Wait for the progress bar two
times.then ok."

I would change to:

"Click the “browse” in the 1 box, select the “upgrade.bin”, then click the “Update” in
the 2 box, then press the power button to start up. Wait for the progress bar two
times. Then press power button to turn off, then power button again to turn on, make
sure player says "Hello" then "No Disc" on front panel."

==========

Finally, this part:

"Until the following content appears:
#
#
#"

I would change to:

"Until the following content appears:
mt8581_base #
mt8581_base #
mt8581_base #
..."

Small update (mostly these are notes to myself posted here for the benefit of others)... from the diagram on the first page of the guide showing what screws to remove... there is no need to remove the screw under the "SL" jack. That's not attached to the sound board you need to remove, and if you remove that screw, the bracket it's attached to might shift slightly, covering the screw hole, which might cause you to have to remove the sound board again in order to shift it back into place so you can put the screw back in.

Attachments

• OPPO 20X downgrade Guide.pdf
    819.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Oh, one more thing I should mention... I did the successful flash AFTER I had reconnected the two sound boards (when troubleshooting). So, the custom firmware can be loaded with the sound boards attached. This means that you can just leave the 2.0mm female -> 2.54mm female cable from the kit attached to the Oppo board, and run it up above the sound boards. I put a piece of electrical tape around the connectors and then secured it to the upper inside part of the player with some black acetate tape. If it needs to be flashed again in the future at some point, there will be no need to remove all the screws and sound boards to get access to the firmware flash port.

ALSO...

The firmware version displayed on the Oppo player, after flashing the custom firmware, is 20XRU-56-0224.

Interesting. Did you verify, that these discs indeed have Cinavia on the audio track you are listening to, e.g. with CloneBD?

Yes, I did verify with CloneBD and the popup appeared saying an audio watermark is detected. I'll try some more today and give you the titles.

OK, so, at this point things don't look so great.

I thought that after finishing his guide, the player was successfully flashed.

But, it's not. It needs an "activation file."

I found this out, when I purchased firmware for my second player. He e-mailed me, giving me the same link (I checked the .rar, it's the same checksum as the one I downloaded for the first player), and he said, "after install . i will give activation file"

I had no idea what that meant. So, I went ahead and flashed the second player. I e-mailed him back, saying both players were ready to be activated. He replied, "use this firmware ,i can send you activation file / easy,and only UPG folder diffrent!" That's all he said... there was no link or attachment with new firmware. I figured he meant the one from the same .rar link he sent for each player?

I replied again saying I was ready for the activation for both players.

He sent me a link to the file, it gets named for the players' MAC addresses and goes to the root of a USB drive. Then, the Oppo 205 should be powered on, wait for 1 minute, then insert the USB drive. The player's volume bar appears, which should mean that it was successful. Then you power off the player, pull the drive, then power on the player.

After I did all this, region change didn't work, and .iso playback didn't work.

I e-mailed him, and he replied, "change the new UPG folder in the front of oppo usb,are you sure this."

I told him I have only one UPG folder and repeated the steps I did. He replied, "maybe you download wrong i am out,i will send file toyou after hours"

I responded listing the files I had (upgrade.bin, downgrade.bin, UPG/MAIN20XCN.bin, and XXXXXXXXXXXX.da1) and their SHA1 values, and if that's all I should have and their checksums are correct.

So now I guess I wait for him to reply, if I haven't pissed him off. It's not looking good at this point unfortunately. :( I feel bad by having to constantly bother him. I know people who develop custom firmware like this hate having to deal with customers who can't seem to get anything to go right.

Previously, I said that after flashing, I pulled the plug on the player after loading the firmware file, then doing upgrade.bin. Even though successful, the player didn't display "Hello" or anything when powering up, and didn't send any HDMI signal. I reloaded the firmware, doing downgrade.bin, firmware flash, then upgrade.bin, but using the power button between firmware flashing and upgrade.bin. So, I thought pulling the power cable was what caused the seemingly dead player.

When I powered the second player back on after the first flash, it still did not say "Hello" on the front screen and behaved just like the first player, even though I used the power button between flash and upgrade.bin. So I looked at the log in MtkTool when powering on, and saw messages that the new firmware version was "not allowed" because it was older then the previous firmware version.

So, it turns out... loading the firmware per his guide a SECOND time succeeds, because now the player sees that the previous firmware version is the same as the one that was just flashed. So now it powers on normally with the downgraded firmware.

I *just* purchased my players. They have a March 2018 manufacturing date. They are all at firmware version UDP20X-60-0601B. So loading the 20XRU-56-0224 firmware that he sent me is definitely an older version. I wonder if that has anything to do with why I was unable to "activate" region change / iso playback / Cinavia Free.

I really wanted this, but I'm not sure I wanted it THIS bad. I've probably spent over 20 hours on this by now, and I'm feeling like it's not going to work out for me. At least my players aren't bricked... but they have Russian firmware now. :p

Last edited:
Gosh Plevis, I feel your pain mate.

I did some more testing of Cinavia detection on BDMV folders for UHD discs. It's not consistent. Some titles detect it and some don't (All flag the watermark in CloneBD). For instance, The Shallows played all the way through but Inferno triggered after about 30 minutes.

So, I really want to be able to rip my UHD's to my NAS and play them properly with DolbyVision, Force Subs et al and this firmware looked like a great solution but now, I'm not sure :(.

I really appreciate you posting your experience with all this - I'm waiting to see how it ends before parting with my cash.

OK, so, at this point things don't look so great.
Oh dear, I really hope, you'll get this working.
Have you tried to reset the player settings to factory defaults & reboot, before applying the key?

Yes, I did try that. Still didn't work. Reset defaults -> Power off -> Power on -> Menus are Russian -> Apply Key per instructions -> Power off, remove USB with key, power on -> Put in USB with DVD .iso, go to "movies", "USB1" -> Nothing displayed

I don't think this is going to happen, clearly he expected his firmware + his activation file to work.

Still not sure what he meant by "change the new UPG folder in the front of oppo usb,are you sure this." Is he referring to the UPG folder in the only file he sent me that had one, or something else? Update - Looks like he was just referring to the UPG folder in the file he sent.

Last edited:
Back