• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Okay, what is higher quality...Bluray or upconvert DVD?

The comparison you're posting is hardly valid considering the difference in file sizes.
Regardless, Blu-ray is always better.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=125259&postcount=58

Which is the image from a Blu-ray and from a regular dvd upconverted by an Oppo DV-983H?

attachment.php

attachment.php

source:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/...oppo-dv-983h/video-measurements-viewing-tests

The top picture is from the Oppo DV-983H. Sure, the Blu-ray image looks better, but I'm not sure that it looks tons better.

To compare the images objectively, they should be in the correct resolution (HDready 1080p).

To compare the images objectively, they should be in the correct resolution (HDready 1080p).

I'm pretty sure they were and then reduced using the same method. I own an Oppo dv-983HD, a Toshiba HD-A35, and a LG GGC-H20L that I output over HDMI via a Radeon 4870 using Powerdvd Ultra. I've also tested a PS3. HD-DVD and Blu-rays always look better. They do not always, however, appear significantly better depending on the source material (U2's Rattle and Hum on HD-DVD and Blu-ray is not exceptional to say the least, for example), and the Oppo dv-983HD is pretty damn impressive and produces better output than the PS3, Toshiba, and Powerdvd Ultra with SD material. Also, software dvd players have a history of being problematic:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

I've become so fed-up with software solutions for HD playback that I will probably take a very hard look at Oppo's new blu-ray player, when it's released.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they were and then reduced using the same method.

With its reduced size is like comparing apples with pears. Nearly 80% of the picture information has gone in the pictures you did post. This is not a template for comparisons.

With its reduced size is like comparing apples with pears.

No. Since they are reduced using the same method, it's still a useful comparison (if you reduce something that holds more detailed information than something else with a lossy compression method, the item with more detailed information even when compressed will still be more detailed than the item that wasn't originally--all other things being equal). I can still tell the Blu-ray is better in the pics. And at 1080p, I can still see the same relative difference.

Regardless, most people are not viewing this forum at 1080p, and I'm not about to upload uncompressed pics at that size.

Last edited:
Back