• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Nvidia 4090RTX

RedFox 1

Forum Admin
Kind of old news but since I still haven't seen any 3090's in stock in my region i might go for that one instead lol. Oh and did you know that the rumored max TGP (power consumption) is said to be 450 or 550w for the basic Nvidia edition

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Kind of old news but since I still haven't seen any 3090's in stock in my region i might go for that one instead lol. Oh and did you know that the rumored max TGP (power consumption) is said to be 450 or 550w for the basic Nvidia edition

Yes I read all the reviews on the new Alderlake 10nm CPU and the new Nvidia 4090, The price of 2999.00 retail, puts it out of my league anyway, I couldn't afford it, and even if I could I wouldn't give that kind of money for any video card. Total Graphic power on any of the big cards is out of control, they are so heavy they need a GPU brace support. I don't even play video games. At those prices a decent new z690 motherboard and 12900K CPU and that GPU has to cost upwards of 6000USD. I just had to replace my PSU and it cost a bundle, those cards require a 1000W PSU.

Last edited:
Oh I got the PSU covered already. Bought the current worlds most efficient PSU for the sadly imaginary strict 3090 oc. That's the Corsair AX1600i, yeah not a typo. A 1600W capable PSU, just under double the wattage of my current ax860i.

Now if only i had something to power with that bad boy. Can't wait to see what the scalper prices are gonna be though lol, but I'll do the same then as I do now. I WILL NOT but from a scalper or any store above MSRP.

What makes you think the new cards are going to be different in terms of availability? I did warn you back when the 30x0 cards were released that they were going to be impossible to find and you assured me it wasn't a problem because you had one guaranteed. With the current supply issues coupled with opportunistic scalpers which is still a problem a year later, any talk of 40x0 cards is a sick joke. They already stopped production of the 30x0 cards so they can push out more expensive cards with barely bumped specs. I'm disgusted with the entire thing. To the point where I may not even rebuild my htpc at all given that it sits in a corner completely dead. What's the point?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

What makes you think the new cards are going to be different in terms of availability? I did warn you back when the 30x0 cards were released that they were going to be impossible to find and you assured me it wasn't a problem because you had one guaranteed. With the current supply issues coupled with opportunistic scalpers which is still a problem a year later, any talk of 40x0 cards is a sick joke. They already stopped production of the 30x0 cards so they can push out more expensive cards with barely bumped specs. I'm disgusted with the entire thing. To the point where I may not even rebuild my htpc at all given that it sits in a corner completely dead. What's the point?

Well I am over 80 years old and I live on SS, so its out of my range completely, I am still in debt from my eye operation.

What makes you think the new cards are going to be different in terms of availability

Absolutely nothing, i didn't say i had one guaranteed (i think). I had one pre-ordered since day one on a shop that has never let me down, and to be fair they havent here either. This was a situation beyond their control. I can wait but i will get a top of the line GPU once in my life, whether its the 3090 OC, 4090 OC or 5090 OC i don't care. I WILL GET ONE, that's all i'm saying :)

And yes i'm kinda disgusted about how the whole thing was handled by nvidia for founders edition (didn't want one of those) and aftermarket suppliers. They supposedly implemented "anti-bot/scalper measures" between official selling release of the different models, and not a damn thing changed between them. Sold out and scalped within moments of selling began.

Last edited:
And it's still happening now. Even Newegg with their lottery system doesn't really help. No retailer has figured out how to handle scalpers. This situation isn't going to be solved any time soon and with supply chain issues continuing well into next year at the earliest, the situation is pretty dire. What absolutely infuriates me beyond belief is if I wanted a 30x0 card right now I could I fact get one. Go buy a pre-built system. But I'm not paying to do that.

There is little motivation for AMD or NVIDIA to alter anything that's going on. Their products are selling like hot cakes, for inflated prices and they are making money hand over fist. At what point that stops is when things will change.

I completely disagree with that statement. There's EXTREME motivation for AMD and nVidia to alter the landscape and we're already seeing it with nVidia. What they have done should piss every single person who's interested in their cards off royally. And for me, it does. They killed production of the 30x0 line of cards. Why? Because the retail prices are too low. So now what's happening is that an already limited supply is dwindling, driving prices up further for every card out there. What that's going to do is when the super cards are released starting in January, the retail prices are going to be 30-40% over the retail prices for the non-super cards. So yes, they have learned a lesson and they are changing the landscape...for the worse. They're going to raise prices because they can, and they're going to let consumers play blood sport with the scalpers to attempt to get cards from an already limited supply. IOW, this is moving in the wrong direction for consumers and putting a big smile on nVidia's face. I've seen the arguments that "oh no, they're not doing that because they make far more money selling more cards at lower prices." Oh yea? It's far easier to pump out fewer cards in a supply crunch with the cost of materials to make cards being high all while raising their base price to make up for lost sales. And that's what they're doing.

I completely disagree with that statement. There's EXTREME motivation for AMD and nVidia to alter the landscape and we're already seeing it with nVidia. What they have done should piss every single person who's interested in their cards off royally. And for me, it does. They killed production of the 30x0 line of cards. Why? Because the retail prices are too low. So now what's happening is that an already limited supply is dwindling, driving prices up further for every card out there. What that's going to do is when the super cards are released starting in January, the retail prices are going to be 30-40% over the retail prices for the non-super cards. So yes, they have learned a lesson and they are changing the landscape...for the worse. They're going to raise prices because they can, and they're going to let consumers play blood sport with the scalpers to attempt to get cards from an already limited supply. IOW, this is moving in the wrong direction for consumers and putting a big smile on nVidia's face. I've seen the arguments that "oh no, they're not doing that because they make far more money selling more cards at lower prices." Oh yea? It's far easier to pump out fewer cards in a supply crunch with the cost of materials to make cards being high all while raising their base price to make up for lost sales. And that's what they're doing.

I think the only thing that will cause them to push in a direction for the consumer is when the chip supply gets so bad they cannot really make enough cards to turn a real profit and no one is interested in a $10k mid-range card. Then they will advocate for something consumer friendly.

I think for know they are fairly happy to Scrooge McDuck it up in their money vault and blame the market.

Unfortunately, this tiresome topic runs through all areas, whether graphics cards, game consoles (XBox SX, PS5), AVR or whatever and one thing is certain, they only want our best - our money :mad:

Here is one thing i know at this point in life. Bad and or greedy people will NEVER allow a crisis to pass without taking advantage of it.

You got that right. Yes, there's a pandemic causing supply chain issues. But a lot of what you're seeing is greed masked as "pandemic issues".

I'm not holding my breath anymore to get a GPU, chances of scoring one this year are just about less than zero. The super series IF nvidia gets their act together MIGHT (which i doubt) improve if they got the supply & demand crap figured out and proper anti-bot measures in place (another strong doubt), and by that time it'll likely be halfway next year and i might as well wait for the 4000 series

I don't see any of this having a happy end result. Which is why I've pretty much given up on the idea of building a new HTPC. I could drop 3 grand on a new alder lake with 3080 ti, but....why? As much as I love madvr for tone mapping, the reality is that it's mostly a platform for enhancing the very expensive Envy platform. JRiver has JRVR being worked out now and it'll run on more than just Windows platforms. Once that matures a little bit, I may look at putting together a couple small linux boxes to drive that on each screen in the house. As it is lately, I've been using my SHIELD and ATV more and more and while madvr can be tweaked to look really good, the reality is that it's not so much of an improvement that it's worth the expense and aggravation anymore. What I really, truly want from a device is very simple, actually. Tone map the goddamn content to 1000 nits (870 would be better but I'm not being picky here) and call it good. For my OLED needs, that'd be more than enough. Oh shocking shocker of all shocks, my UB820 already does that. :rolleyes:

I don't see any of this having a happy end result. Which is why I've pretty much given up on the idea of building a new HTPC. I could drop 3 grand on a new alder lake with 3080 ti, but....why? As much as I love madvr for tone mapping, the reality is that it's mostly a platform for enhancing the very expensive Envy platform. JRiver has JRVR being worked out now and it'll run on more than just Windows platforms. Once that matures a little bit, I may look at putting together a couple small linux boxes to drive that on each screen in the house. As it is lately, I've been using my SHIELD and ATV more and more and while madvr can be tweaked to look really good, the reality is that it's not so much of an improvement that it's worth the expense and aggravation anymore. What I really, truly want from a device is very simple, actually. Tone map the goddamn content to 1000 nits (870 would be better but I'm not being picky here) and call it good. For my OLED needs, that'd be more than enough. Oh shocking shocker of all shocks, my UB820 already does that. :rolleyes:
Get an OPPO clone and move on. No expensive graphic cards needed and a really good picture. Yes, I'm picky.

I am gonna say this and then leave it alone. What makes a good movie? Is it the CGI? The graphics? The effects? Or is it the story. Answer? The Story. Everything else is window dressing. Sure the graphics can help a story but they don't make it.

I am gonna say this and then leave it alone. What makes a good movie? Is it the CGI? The graphics? The effects? Or is it the story. Answer? The Story. Everything else is window dressing. Sure the graphics can help a story but they don't make it.
You are right. That OPPO clone is maybe not perfect but close to. MadVR might be a bit better but I just go the convenient way and avoid these PC based issues. Just my 2 cents. Other opinions of course accepted.

Seeing it as the director intended. Video and audio don't make the story. They inform it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Back