• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

NVENC on different hardware comparison

Uhh, a chance to test new technologies AND being compensated ... where do I sign up? :dance:
You actually don't sign up, I have been doing this for many years, compensation is not always in the form of money, thats not complicated.;)

If we look at the timeline for HEVC, it was standardised mid-2013 and first appeared in NVIDIA chips early 2015 (GTX 960), so two years for VVC (standardised mid-2020) sounds realistic indeed. Nice. :)
I hope it happens with the upcoming RTX 4000 series. I'm waiting until VVC is supported to upgrade my 1050 Ti.

just wanted to jump in and thank this thread for introducing me to vidcoder. now i can finally shrink and deinterlace my DVDREMUXes. even with my anemic 2400ge and NVIDIA T400 (the mighty 2gb version) i get roughly 20-25% smaller files (NV HEVC and AAC - will try AC3 as well since most REMUXes are AC3), nicely deinterlaced (no longer am i dependent on player SW deinterlace in kodi and potplayer/smplayer) and it takes only a 60-75sec for a 22min episode! NNNNOICE!

tried adding deblocking but picture is always worse and more blocky, dunno why. maybe im missing something. tried ultralight, light, heavy, small 4x4, medium 8x8, large 16x16 but its the same - from worse than source to absolutely horrible. so i ended just adding chroma smooth (ultralight/medium - lol, dont even know what chroma smooth does, so i could be placeboing here), deinterlace (bdecomb/default/fast) and denoise (hqdn3d/ultralight). tried looking up documentation but couldnt find anything but a section about constant bitrate. if anyone has any suggestions, id be grateful. need to fix roseanne, will&grace and homicide REMUXes as well as try getting better quality from crime story WEB-DLs (in other words, im talking about some extra, super duper serious and important work here, mkay). mostly im looking for deinterlacing but am also interested in adding some deblock, but as mentioned before i tried in vidcoder but it just looks awful. cheers!

I must admit, the only Videofilter I use is the Denoiser, if the source material is very noisy and would result in a huge filesize.
Picture is a bit mushy than, but hey ... at a quarter of size.

I must admit, the only Videofilter I use is the Denoiser, if the source material is very noisy and would result in a huge filesize.
Picture is a bit mushy than, but hey ... at a quarter of size.

yeah, im thinking of doing the same. but im having also issues with deinterlacing. i REMUXed will&grace and while i was able to get rid of interlacing between scene switches, which before i had to do in my video player (plex, fortunately does deinterlacing very good, but still it was irking me that other players were hit and miss), i still have serious isuess with objects with horizontal lines. for example, bamboo curtains. lol. a bunch of tightly ordered horizontal bamboo sticks (S01E06 iirc). i mean, i get jittering when the camera pans and it is somewhat distracting. i mean, i can live with it, but it is irking me. also, edges of certain objects in the scene (same episode, same scene, a bunch of books on the shelf with gold lettering). also, the lettering starts to jiggle and jitter when the camera moves. i thought maybe the source DVDs were to blame, but i still have the VOBs and nope. they play nice. i then turned off all the filters and deinterlacing and then those are good, but then interlacing between scene switches is back.

tried different deinterlace setting, default, fast, less agressive, different types etc and although some work better than the others, nothing can come close to source VOBs. weird. i guess ill just cut losses and be happy with the fact that even my anemic PC can handle an episode in less than 90s. heh. cheers!

Below comparison between NVIDIA and AMD GPUs
Features and encoding quality teste with
Code:
rigaya NVEncC and VCEncC
Kindly note that NVIDIA drivers seem to be enabling bframes by default while AMD is not.

upload_2022-10-11_13-18-47.png

upload_2022-10-11_13-19-15.png

moved from 1080ti to 3090fe card, was about double the nvenc performance. about to upgrade again tomorrow with a 4090. will let you know. I'm expecting a dramatic increase as they specifically touted a entire version higher nvenc chip. But I also wanted to upgrade my card to get the av1 encode capabilities as well.

moved from 1080ti to 3090fe card, was about double the nvenc performance. about to upgrade again tomorrow with a 4090. will let you know. I'm expecting a dramatic increase as they specifically touted a entire version higher nvenc chip. But I also wanted to upgrade my card to get the av1 encode capabilities as well.
The dramatic speed increase is probably due to two encoders instead of one ;)

need help. as mentioned, i want(ed) to deinterlace s01 of will&grace, since i have the VOBs. i did that, but upon reviewing it looks horrible. now im trying again and i did manage (dunno how) to fix both interlacing and jaggedness of horizontal lines issues, but for the love of god i cant seem to get the same overall quality that i get from just MKVing the VOBs with makeMKV. i tried higher bitrate, x265 NVENC, x264 NVENC, plain vanilla both x265 and x264, highest bitrate MPEG2 (thinking maybe if both input and output codec is the same, vidcoder wont transcode, but nope). now, with all these i do a 30s preview every time before i encode, and in preview clip the quality looks great and by quality i mean artefacting when objects in motion is minimal just like in MKVs from makeMKV. i thought this would be a bitrate issue, so i went from original 750mb file (s01e02) down to 600, back to 900 and all the way up to 1.2gb (i always use constant quality ranging from 11 up to 16 - default is 22). preset is low, profile and level automatic, framerate i tried both fixed and variable (same as source both) and i even turned off all the filters except deinterlacing (bdecomb/EEDI2 bob/less sensitive) since all i actually want is deinterlace done right and although it would be great if i could get the filesize down, at this point i dont care if the end file is 2x the size, lol.

so, question: is this thing like ffmpeg where i have to manually tune stuff commandline style or am i missing something e.g. trying variable bitrate? are there any guides for vidcoder you could recommend with focus on encoding old TV stuff (since newer stuff is waaaay easier to encode) i presume. thank you. cheers!

edit: ditched vidcoder since i couldnt get deblock to work, and am now on staxrip. went through one season of roseanne and one of will&grace and the results are much, much better. took like 25min for each episode only to discover how to enable NVENC, so now im getting 300-650fps instead of like 40fps max, lol. still have issues with deinterlacing, sometimes i get i right, most of the times i dont.

Last edited:
Back