Now it's dragging (HELP)

Discussion in 'CloneDVD' started by beammeup, Apr 5, 2007.

1. beammeup

beammeup New Member

I have been been using CloneDVD and it have always finish in 25-35 min. but lately it's now taking a 90 min or more to work. I have windows XP PRO, a 1GB ram and CPU 14Ghz.

2. sockeye

sockeye Well-Known Member

Your drive may be operating in PIO mode rather than DMA.
    Here is a link to help you. It says Photo Backup, but the principles are the same. Read it and make the changes if necessary.
    http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

3. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

he did say it used to do it in 25-30mins,so why would he suddenly find it in PIO mode??rather than DMA.i cant see beammeup suddenly altering the settings.

4. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Something has obviously changed, and what sockeye suggested is an excellent place to start looking.

Checking free space on the harddrive, ensuring other programs you don't need aren't running in the background, defragmenting the harddrive, and checking for spyware are other things to consider doing.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  5. Whisperer

Whisperer Well-Known Member

Mike,
    From Windows XP onward, when Windows detects a certain number of "errors" in the transfer of data from a DVD drive, it will "automatically" lower the transfer mode from DMA to PIO. This is considered a "feature" of Windows. So when there is a sudden drop in read or write speeds, checking the transfer mode (in Device Manager) is a valid suggestion.

Best regards,
    Whisperer

6. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

no problemo.i didn't know that.you learn something new everyday.