• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Norton AntiVirus 2008 can cause problems

plato

Hi!
Recently I have made a very bad experience with Norton AntiVirus 2008 and CloneDVD 2.9.2.0. My hard disk contains two partitions and I wanted to read in some DVDs with CloneDVD on the second, the bigger one. CloneDVD obviously had no problems with reading the discs and it always told me: "ISO/UDF image was successfully created".
So I burned every image on a separate "Verbatim DVD+R DL" disc and CloneDVD always reported a successful burning process.
After that I wanted to watch the DVDs on my standalone player and in about the middle of the movies the player did not manage to continue to play the disc correctly and jumped automatically to further chapters or stopped.
Astonished at this phenomenon I made a "Read test" with "Nero DiscSpeed" and the test always stopped at 50%.

I made also a small experiment with other original DVDs and while CloneDVD was reading, I noticed that the hard disk always made some noise and the DVD burner did lower the speed. The "Windows Task Manager" told me that "LuComServer.EXE" was the most active process at that time. I found out that "LuComServer.EXE" is part of "Norton AntiVirus".

After uninstalling "Norton AntiVirus 2008" and rebooting, I made the same experiment again, and there was no process that influenced the reading process and the burned DVDs just played fine on the standalone player. Also "Nero DiscSpeed" could manage to finish the "Read test" successfully.

With this thread, I do not intend to appeal to boycott "Norton AntiVirus", but if you experience problems with your backups and you are using "Norton AntiVirus" it's possible that this "intelligent" programme is responsible for the issue.

With "Norton AntiVirus 2007" (and previous versions) I never had such problems. I am not able to tell you, how "Norton AntiVirus 2008" was able to influence the reading process, but I think that "LuComServer.EXE" is capable of controlling every other application according to its needs.

Now I am using "avast!" and I am quite happy with it. I also didn't experience any inconveniences so far.

Last edited:
Ugh, yeah... Norton products are usually a disaster no matter what you're trying to do. I had Internet Security 2004, and 2006... incredible memory hogs, and that's probably their best quality.

The only acceptable product I've found from the company is Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.

The only acceptable product I've found from the company is Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.

You should check out Symantec Endpoint Protection v11...it's basically the Client Security (which included SAV Corp Edition) + Anti-Spyware.

Of course I still run SpyBot S&D from time to time. :agree:

If I were you I would use ESET, It is the best one out there. I use on my secondary computer.

Back