NordVPN uses Google Analytics

Discussion in 'AnyStream' started by Ch3vr0n, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

For those of you that use this vpn. Might be time to reconsider. The whole point of a vpn is anonymity. Google analytics is anything but anonymous.

Ignore the red hue. Red light overlay for night time. 78c761e4077b65a2a375ea7a4e7b30ae.png

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. walstib

walstib Well-Known Member

Indeed. And they are very clear on this too:

https://my.nordaccount.com/legal/privacy-policy/

Kudos to Nord for stating this plainly. Now the decision rests with the consumer as to use or not.

This has also been known since 2019 if you look hard enough.

I’m in no way endorsing this practice; simply stating that it’s not “hidden” or misleading

3. von edmeister 2.0

von edmeister 2.0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Ch3v. Very helpful!

4. Xander

Xander Well-Known Member

Trying out Express vpn later today then, wanted to switch from Nord anyway

5. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Well-Known Member

Yup, sure you are changing your external IP using a VPN but you are essentially connected to a honeypot rife for monitoring and identity correlation. Plus, IP is by no means the only way to track a person across the net, there are a number of fingerprinting methods. In my opinion you are best off using VPN to your own home network when encryption is needed and the Tor network if you really need IP anonymity. I know none of that helps for geo restrictions however, you are left using a VPN service for that but my point is do not use the VPN services for security or anonymity purposes. But all that is just my opinion.

6. Don922

Don922 Well-Known Member

I believe this is just for access to their website and not to their VPN networks. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Might wanna check the screenshot again. It specifically states the android VPN app. GA can be used to fingerprint your browser & device and a lot more.

8. Don922

Don922 Well-Known Member

So I'm confused. How does this relate to connecting to one of their VPN servers. It clearly states -

Cookies, pixels and other similar technologies are usually small text or image files that are placed on your device when you visit our website. Some cookies are essential for our website to operate smoothly; others are used to improve website functionality or analyze aggregated usage statistics to improve website performance (as in the case of Google Analytics cookies).

9. BusyBus

BusyBus New Member

Pretty certain this is correct - the mention of Google Analytics relates to their cookie policy which comes into play when you are connecting to their website. As you do not need to use a browser to use the VPN of NordVPN, your best bet to deal with google analytics is to simply use one specific browser on one specific machine that never browses anywhere but the nordvpn website. https://my.nordaccount.com/legal/cookie-policy/

If I am wrong, please correct me with evidence - particularly where the VPN itself is despite blocking or never visiting sites using google analytics.

10. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Well-Known Member

Analytics are EVERYWHERE. It's "free" data companies can use to make oodles of cash with (it's essentially Google's and Facebook's entire business model). The best thing anyone can do is avoid software/sites that use them when possible and then block the sh!t out of them whenever you can between browser add-ons and filtering firewalls.

I only recently started to use a VPN and really just for AS and to play around with it for fun but I went with ProtonVPN.