• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

NordVPN uses Google Analytics

Ch3vr0n

Translator NL
For those of you that use this vpn. Might be time to reconsider. The whole point of a vpn is anonymity. Google analytics is anything but anonymous.

Ignore the red hue. Red light overlay for night time.78c761e4077b65a2a375ea7a4e7b30ae.png

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Indeed. And they are very clear on this too:

https://my.nordaccount.com/legal/privacy-policy/

Kudos to Nord for stating this plainly. Now the decision rests with the consumer as to use or not.

This has also been known since 2019 if you look hard enough.

I’m in no way endorsing this practice; simply stating that it’s not “hidden” or misleading

Trying out Express vpn later today then, wanted to switch from Nord anyway

Yup, sure you are changing your external IP using a VPN but you are essentially connected to a honeypot rife for monitoring and identity correlation. Plus, IP is by no means the only way to track a person across the net, there are a number of fingerprinting methods. In my opinion you are best off using VPN to your own home network when encryption is needed and the Tor network if you really need IP anonymity. I know none of that helps for geo restrictions however, you are left using a VPN service for that but my point is do not use the VPN services for security or anonymity purposes. But all that is just my opinion.

I believe this is just for access to their website and not to their VPN networks. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might wanna check the screenshot again. It specifically states the android VPN app. GA can be used to fingerprint your browser & device and a lot more.

So I'm confused. How does this relate to connecting to one of their VPN servers. It clearly states -

Cookies, pixels and other similar technologies are usually small text or image files that are placed on your device when you visit our website. Some cookies are essential for our website to operate smoothly; others are used to improve website functionality or analyze aggregated usage statistics to improve website performance (as in the case of Google Analytics cookies).

I believe this is just for access to their website and not to their VPN networks. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty certain this is correct - the mention of Google Analytics relates to their cookie policy which comes into play when you are connecting to their website. As you do not need to use a browser to use the VPN of NordVPN, your best bet to deal with google analytics is to simply use one specific browser on one specific machine that never browses anywhere but the nordvpn website. https://my.nordaccount.com/legal/cookie-policy/

If I am wrong, please correct me with evidence - particularly where the VPN itself is despite blocking or never visiting sites using google analytics.

Analytics are EVERYWHERE. It's "free" data companies can use to make oodles of cash with (it's essentially Google's and Facebook's entire business model). The best thing anyone can do is avoid software/sites that use them when possible and then block the sh!t out of them whenever you can between browser add-ons and filtering firewalls.

I only recently started to use a VPN and really just for AS and to play around with it for fun but I went with ProtonVPN.

For those of you that use this vpn. Might be time to reconsider. The whole point of a vpn is anonymity. Google analytics is anything but anonymous.

Ignore the red hue. Red light overlay for night time.View attachment 56842

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Is AdGuard embedded or linked with NordVPN?
  • Embedded meaning that it is part of the application and not just an integrated feature that can be enabled/disabled in Settings...?
  • Linked meaning it's a service tied to NordVPN outside of the desktop/mobile application but part of the NordVPN (online) service...?

I use NordVPN and I don't see it in the Settings as a Feature.

Neither, it's a seperate ad-blocking tool in your browser for example. It's the google analytics that's embedded in your nordVPN

I only recently started to use a VPN and really just for AS and to play around with it for fun but I went with ProtonVPN.

Same. For security related products, business reputation is eminently important. Few companies out there have a better reputation than the Proton team. So ProtonVPN is what I went with as well.

I tried proton too, but they're more expensive than ExpressVPN and don't allow as many devices as EVPN does on a single license.

But as the screenshot stated it's only an issue with " Android Apps", so I am guessing it will not affect Anystream.

True, but that's not the point really. If they're already using analytics in the android app (which goes against the whole idea of a vpn), what's to stop them from adding it in their computer versions as well? Analytics don't belong in a vpn app. End of story.

I tried proton too, but they're more expensive than ExpressVPN and don't allow as many devices as EVPN does on a single license.

For me, relative cost was the lowest factor of consideration. I weighted security and features above all else. Anyone considering a VPN will have to decide for themselves which factors are most important to them and choose appropriately.

True, but that's not the point really. If they're already using analytics in the android app (which goes against the whole idea of a vpn), what's to stop them from adding it in their computer versions as well? Analytics don't belong in a vpn app. End of story.
For me, relative cost was the lowest factor of consideration. I weighted security and features above all else. Anyone considering a VPN will have to decide for themselves which factors are most important to them and choose appropriately.
Well, they were honest enough to tell you that they were adding it to Android apps, I suspect they will also tell you if it is added to windows apps also.

Back