• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

No Sound after transcoding?

cdb

I have a movie that I ripped with CloneDVD2, with the result being VOBs.

I used CloneDVD Mobile (1.2.0.1 - had broken pipes with other versions) to transcode this for the PS3 into MP4 format.

After transcoding though, while the movie will play, there is no sound? Tried this twice with same result and yes I had the soundtrack checked?

Before I bug support thought I'd check here to see if anyone has any solutions?

Thank you in advance!!

How are you trying to playback? Have you got the AAC decoder codec installed on your PC?

I tried playback of the MP4 with both WMP11 and with VLC. Same result. (Windows 7 system)

I tried playing one of the VOBs and that wasn't a problem.

Not home at moment, and don't know how to confirm if I have AAC installed, but note that VLC does support it http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

btw - thanks for the quick response!!

Okay, I've confirmed I have AAC playback (downloaded an AAC file to test)>

Can anyone suggest any other reason for no sound after it is transcoded to MP4?

Download GSPOT and check how your system plans to render the audio stream (or not as perhaps is the case)

Okay, downloaded Gspot and pointed the path at the vob file. I'm not sure what you need, but here is information that I think might be relavent:

Container:
DVD "VOB" format
MPEG-2 Program Stream<<{1 vid,1 aud}
Sys Bitrate: 10080 kb/s VBR

Audio:

Codec AC3
Codec(s) Installed

Under "Status" it says "Codec(s) are Installed"
Pic w 352 x 480 seq 352 x 480

I also tried the "Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests" at the bottom. Not sure what I'm doing, but it looks like the Audio 1 and Audio 2 don't work, but Audio 3 does --- MPEG-2 Demultiplexer>--B-->ffdshow Audio Decoder >--> Default Direct Sound Device

It is working but also has a line that says "Failed to connect OUtput pin 0x07dc33c4 ("Output") on ATI MPEG Multiplexer to input pin 0x0736e2cc ("Input") on filter 0x046f59ef ("ATI Time Shift Splitter") Connect DIrect () failed Error: 0x80004002 (unknown)"

Hope that means something to you? Once again, thank you.

Step #2 - Pointed it at the MP4 file created with CloneDVD Mobile:

Size of file is 2.84Gb

Container:
isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [ISO 14496-12-2003]
-avc1: MP4 Base w/AVC ext [ISO 14496-12-2005}

Audio:
mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

Video:
H.264/MPEG-4AVC

Proposed Codec Solutions:

GSPot is not yet capable of attempting to render this audio/video type. Try using the MS A/V button 1

Trying MS A/V Button 1 I get:
Rendering failed. Following is the error reported by DirectShow:
0x80040265: [unknown]

Acording to this

0x80040265 isn't really "unknown". Strictly, it is VFW_E_UNSUPPORTED_STREAM, which means that your AVI files contain at least one stream (e.g., the video) that you do not have the right codec for.

Mike -thank you for that information.

I'm a little puzzled though; why would CloneDVD Mobile transcode into an MP4 with a sound codec I don't have? Particularly when I've used the same PS3 selection for other movies, without issue?

Is there a codec pack I should normally install with CloneDVD Mobile?

I'm fairly new to putting my DVDs on the hard drive, so excuse my newbie ignorance.

Thanks again for the help.

I tried this myself. GSPOT also says that AAC-LC cannot be rendered, I've not installed any special codec. Windows Media Player on Windows7 simply plays the files.

Mike - thank you for your continued assistance.

Is AAC-LC different than plain old AAC, which MEncoder appears to support?

Can I install a codec for this, that CLoneDVD Mobile can use with a codec pack like CCCP?

Ok, so I downloaded CCCP codec pack.

Now Gspot reports:

"Render OK. The following combination of filters was used:"

... but doesn't list any filters. The movie plays within Gspot, but again with no sound. I have a second foreign film, and am encountering the same issue with that now too :(

Argh .. there was a time it seemed so simple :)

Installing DirectShow should play it on the PC, but if it uses the Apple tagging scheme for AAC, which is pretty much universal now, the PS3 will never play it!

Hi Spanky:

To clarify, I've been trying to play the MP4 on my PC and get no sound. Haven't even tried it with the PS3 yet.

When I get home tonight I'll try Direct Show and see if that plays on the PC.

If it does, then I'm wondering why CloneDVD Mobile would convert it to that format, instead of the formats it normally uses for sound when I convert using the PS3 presets?

I could be off base here but I think most all movies use an AC3 audio stream rather than an AAC. Music and movies downloaded from iTunes have an AAC audio stream and won't play on the PS3 and probably never ever will. Can you check your DVD's audio stream?

Well you can't be more off base than me :)

A few messages up I analyzed the original file using Gspot and it said it was AC3 ... and then the MP4 that CLoneDVD had converted it (not that it worked) into, and was an AAC LC.

I used the PS3 profile.

I've managed to solve my problem -sort of. Handbrake (although slow as hell, worked). Hurray, I guess, but it would be nice if Mobile did the job:(

One more thought ...

I noticed that both the movies that I was having issues with, were quite long. One was 3 hours of playing time.

Is there an issue with CloneDVD on large movies, perhaps? Longshot, but thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Back