• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"No drives" after installing AnyDVD

Frank

SlySoft Support Team
This thread will show the most probable causes and solutions for the "no disc drive" problem after AnyDVD version 7150.

We are getting more reports in Support about AnyDVD not "seeing" the DVD drive(s) even though these will play DVDs without problem.

Going back to an earlier version works but this is not the desirable solution. Once again, it appears an anti-virus tool runs amok and prevents AnyDVD from properly executing.
There is a difference in the way this problem appears as opposed to DVD drives totally going "off-line".
Typically, this software/driver error will show a message as if you do not have a DVD drive installed at all.

nodrives.jpg

NOTE: The key difference with this symptom is you will still be able to PLAY DVDs. It's just that AnyDVD will not try to access it.

Norton / Symantec users

One error scenario was caused by "symantec power eraser rootkit".
Once these items were deleted under safe mode anydvd at the latest level is now working (boot the machine, pressing the F8 key until the menu appears and select SAFE mode)
http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...-to-uninstall-norton-power-eraser/td-p/498096
OR
http://www.windowsuninstaller.org/w...n-power-eraser-2-0-0-52-uninstaller-info.html

OR

SMR (Symantec Maximum Repair) DLL. IF you have this tool from Symantec then de-install it. Contact Symantec for assistance.

See this for removing that Symantec software:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH201909

Kapersky

We have gotten feedback from the field that Kapersky Anti-Virus also can cause this symptom.
We do not know as yet what function in Kapersky causes this but stopping the program allowed AnyDVD to "see" the DVD drive again.

AVAST Users

AVAST may also be an interfering program. Stop it and try to start AnyDVD again. You have to permanently disable it while you are installing 7.1.6x or 7.1.7x or later version.
Right click on the AVAST Icon and left click on AVAST shield controls. Then click on permanently disable.
It will restart after you reboot your computer after you install AnyDVD.

Un-install/install

Some users report removing AnyDVD totally and then re-installing 71xx will reset the condition.

======================================================
We have put AnyDVD 7.1.5.0 here:
http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD7150.exe

Remove your existing version
Install 7150, reboot and verify the DVD drive works
Install 7190 now and reboot.

======================================================

One W8 x64 user reports:

- Updating "Definitions" for the "Windows Defender"
and/or
- one of the 3 security updates.

Also: Turn off Malwarebytes and Spybot too.

Things to look for if this symptom appears:

- you get the "disabled" message from AnyDVD
- the drive shows "checked" on the drives list in AnyDVD
- the drive plays DVDs while AnyDVD is in this "no drive" state

Stop your anti virus program and then insert a DVD again.
PM me if this solves your problem and is not Symantec or Kapersky

As more info becomes available we'll add it here

I am briefly opening this thread for input.

Last edited:
We are getting more reports in Support about AnyDVD not "seeing" the DVD drive(s) event though these will play DVDs without problem.

NOTE: this error is NOT the same as the drive not being enabled!!

Going back to an earlier version works but this is not the desirable solution.

Once again. an anti-virus tool runs amok and prevents AnyDVD from properly executing.

The error was caused by "symantec power eraser rootkit".

Once these items were deleted under safe mode anydvd 7.1.x.x is now working
(boot the machine, pressing the F8 key until the menu appears and select SAFE mode)

A technical explanation:

Some security tools make copies of the AnyDVD.sys and ElbyCDIO.sys drivers for no logical reason. Even worse, they add these copies to the registry, so they are started. Whoever did this needs to be hung!

If the drivers are updated (like with the last versions) *two* different driver versions are running at the same time. This is not good. This could lead to fatal system errors. The "old" version created by some incredibly brain dead security tool *must* be removed.

EDIT:
I have no idea, why this "symantec power eraser rootkit" (sounds scary, doesn't it? Hell yes, it is!) does this. Maybe to have backups of essential drivers, in case those required to start the machine are infected?
Nice idea. But the execution of this idea is more an epic fail.

EDIT2:
And please ask Symantec, how to proceed. Maybe there is a simple button "don't do this" or "disable this". I have no idea, because I don't know. Symantec must have some kind of customer support...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you did an internet search for older versions you'd find quite a few links. Slysoft doesn't maintain access to older versions of their software for sound business/support reasons.

Rolling back is not a good idea because it makes decrypting newer DVDs/BDs virtually impossible, and a lot of older discs need fixes as well. Why roll back to horse/foot travel when there are better modes of transportation available? Rolling back to an older version of AnyDVD is much the same.

One thing you might want to consider is creating a "System Information" log file and attaching it to your post so the developers can see what is going on with your computer. Not many people are having problems with "no drives" and so far most are having the problem with hyper-aggressive anti-virus software, Norton/Symantec is the worse offender. Providing a system info log file will assist the devs in tracking down a fix, not a band-aid situation that rolling back to an earlier version presents.

no drive detected

I don't have Norton installed. I use Comodo.

I regularly update Windows Defender and perform scans.

I use Sony Vaio notebook with Matsushita dvd burn drive.

After uninstalling and installing latest anydvd download, upgrade works for that post install session. When computer is shut down, opened at later time -- no drive detected message comes up. Go to "Computer" window and dvd drive is not displayed and Windows Vista Business doesn't recognize drive as existing. Dvd drive is totally unusable. Disable anydvd, restart Windows Vista and dvd drive is recognized by Windows with full functionality of dvd drive restored.

To use anydvd, I have to continually uninstall/reinstall anydvd software from downloads folder.

I hope a fix is found for this soon.

Thanks!

You failed to provide an anydvd logfile aswell. Without it we can't begin to solve your issue.
Please read this, specifically step 5 and provide the logfile. We can't do anything till you do.

Having this problem with 7.1.9.0/7.1.8.0 worked

I had this problem with 7.1.6.0 and rolled back to a previous version to correct it (7.1.5.0). Then I waited for the next update. When I installed 7.1.7.0 AnyDVD worked as flawlessly as ever. And so did 7.1.8.0. But installing version 7.1.9.0 caused the problem to reoccur.

AnyDVD reports that I have no DVD drives but both drives appear under Status [with the message "AnyDVD is disabled for Drive E:!"] and are checked under Drives|Selection & DVDs play normally. I don't use any of the listed commercial antivirus and have tried all suggestions in the post including updating windows and defender.

so:
7.1.5.0 drives
7.1.6.0 no drives
7.1.7.0 drives
7.1.8.0 drives
7.1.9.0 no drives :confused:

I have attached a log file.

Any suggestions? I am rolling back in the meantime.

{The rollback to 7.1.8.0 worked.}

Thanks

Last edited:
I had this problem with 7.1.6.0 and rolled back to a previous version to correct it (7.1.5.0). Then I waited for the next update. When I installed 7.1.7.0 AnyDVD worked as flawlessly as ever. And so did 7.1.8.0. But installing version 7.1.9.0 caused the problem to reoccur.

AnyDVD reports that I have no DVD drives but both drives appear under Status [with the message "AnyDVD is disabled for Drive E:!"] and are checked under Drives|Selection & DVDs play normally. I don't use any of the listed commercial antivirus and have tried all suggestions in the post including updating windows and defender.

so:
7.1.5.0 drives
7.1.6.0 no drives
7.1.7.0 drives
7.1.8.0 drives
7.1.9.0 no drives :confused:

I have attached a log file.

Any suggestions? I am rolling back in the meantime.

{The rollback to 7.1.8.0 worked.}

Thanks
I don't see the "double driver" issue here. Can you please post a *logfile*, not a sysinfo file? (You can make one from empty drives, too)
Also the "drives / no drives" AnyDVD versions seem pretty random. I don't think it has much to do with AnyDVD itself. Probably the load order of the driver, and installing the same version twice can already change that.
Please try it.

Probably the load order of the driver, and installing the same version twice can already change that.
Please try it.

Do you mean install the newest version, reboot and then install it again? Or install it, uninstall it and reinstall (with reboots in between)? Because I tried that. The second thing, I mean.

And, oops, I'll try the real logfiles for the newest version when I try it again tomorrow. It's too late to start this now. In case it helps, here are the logfiles for the roll back.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.1.8.0_Info_F_EMPTY_DRIVE.zip
    37.3 KB · Views: 2
  • AnyDVD_7.1.8.0_Info_E_EMPTY_DRIVE.zip
    37.2 KB · Views: 2
W8 x64 user here. I had the no drives problem until I ran Windows Update and installed everything to get me up to date. I don't run Windows Defender though, so I think re: the W8 mention in the first post above, the defender updates are not related. It must be one of the security updates. I had quite a few missing so I'm unable to narrow it down unfortunately.

Steve

No DVD Drive detected

I just installed AnyDVD version 7420 and received the above error message stating no DVD drive detected. Also, the drive does not show up in Control Panel and will not play DVD's at all or recognize them. I do have Symantec Antivirus but have had it the last three years and had no issues until this last update. I have attempted the step 4 in the fix listed by uninstalling AnyDVD and reinstalling (three times). This sticky post began in March of 2013, it is almost a year later - why would AnyDVD be working for the last year since this problem was discovered with Symantec and now it is not? I can not get it working, can anyone offer me any help?
Thanks!

no drive w8 64 avira

hi
i was directed here by sly support . soooo

i have this problem .
w8 64 bit all os updates
windows defender all updates
Avira all updates .
my problems started 3 updates ago and continues
i rolled back to different versions but problem continues
i always have drive accesible in explorer but not in anydvd

the first problem i had in your directions was
logfile .... did as instructed popup msg appeared told me log file name BUT no logfile existed for my dvd drive and yes i know how to find it .. it also popped up the folder it was in .. empty folder .. so i will start here and solve that problem first ..
thanks
frank

It was fine yesterday, and now it is not fine. The exact same problem as this thread speaks of.
View attachment 24742

The AnyDVD driver is not installed. Please re-install AnyDVD and reboot.

EDIT: And you have an unidentified driver running located in your temp directory, which is highly suspicious.

Last edited:
Lower Filters

I found out that that by removing the lower filters via Filtercheck.exe, which asked to remove AnyDVD. When I removed AnyDVD, and re-installed, it solved the problem temporarily. Unfortunately, it recurred withing a few weeks, causing me to repeat that process. I was running Avast, Malwarebytes and Spybot(the last two are only on demand. Perhaps, SlySoft should look into this, as this seems to be only from the latest iteration on the program. That being said, I can't imagine not having this program on my computer!

I was running Avast, Malwarebytes and Spybot(the last two are only on demand. Perhaps, SlySoft should look into this, as this seems to be only from the latest iteration on the program.
Nope. AnyDVD hasn't changed in this part for years.

My "No Drives" Story & Advice Needed

I had no problems with AnyDVD HD until the recent AnyDVD HD update. I'm running Windows 8.1 with all the current updates, and my antivirus is Vipre Internet Security 2015 with all of the current updates. I read this forum and did the uninstall/reinstall advice. Did not work. I lost count of how many timer I tried that "fix" without any results. I came back here and there were more postings and ideas. I tried turning off Vipre - nothing. So next I used Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall AnyDVD HD and then had Revo scour my PC for every trace of AnyDVD HD on my system. Then I installed an older version that I still had in my archives - version 7.3.5.0. After rebooting I clicked on my key to register (while the AnyDVD taskbar icon alerted me to the problematic update) and then I opened up AnyDVD - once again I got the big window saying that I had no DVD drives on my PC. That really threw me.

I planned on including the requested log file, but every time I've told AnyDVD to create one according to the directions on the "PLEASE read this before you post" page, AnyDVD did not do so. I never received any pop-up as it said that I should.

Any help or ideas?

My next step is to uninstall AnyDVD HD - scrub my system of it - and then do the same with Vipre Internet Security 2015. Reinstall AnyDVD HD and see if it will see my drives - and then reinstall Vipre IS. Does this sound like a good thing to try? I'm really flummoxed why AnyDVD would not create a log file.

I had no problems with AnyDVD HD until the recent AnyDVD HD update. I'm running Windows 8.1 with all the current updates, and my antivirus is Vipre Internet Security 2015 with all of the current updates. I read this forum and did the uninstall/reinstall advice. Did not work. I lost count of how many timer I tried that "fix" without any results. I came back here and there were more postings and ideas. I tried turning off Vipre - nothing. So next I used Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall AnyDVD HD and then had Revo scour my PC for every trace of AnyDVD HD on my system. Then I installed an older version that I still had in my archives - version 7.3.5.0. After rebooting I clicked on my key to register (while the AnyDVD taskbar icon alerted me to the problematic update) and then I opened up AnyDVD - once again I got the big window saying that I had no DVD drives on my PC. That really threw me.

I planned on including the requested log file, but every time I've told AnyDVD to create one according to the directions on the "PLEASE read this before you post" page, AnyDVD did not do so. I never received any pop-up as it said that I should.

Any help or ideas?

My next step is to uninstall AnyDVD HD - scrub my system of it - and then do the same with Vipre Internet Security 2015. Reinstall AnyDVD HD and see if it will see my drives - and then reinstall Vipre IS. Does this sound like a good thing to try? I'm really flummoxed why AnyDVD would not create a log file.

Do you see your dvd drives in windows explorer, and device manger ?

With AnyDVD running in the background, in device manager, remove or uninstall your dvd drives, then click on the name of the computer, and scan for hardware changes, and allow windows 8 to re-install the device. Exit AnyDVD , and launch it again. See if this works for you. This is the step I did when my laptop reported no DVD drives installed after installing 7540.

Do you see your dvd drives in windows explorer, and device manger ?

With AnyDVD running in the background, in device manager, remove or uninstall your dvd drives, then click on the name of the computer, and scan for hardware changes, and allow windows 8 to re-install the device. Exit AnyDVD , and launch it again. See if this works for you. This is the step I did when my laptop reported no DVD drives installed after installing 7540.

Yes I have drives and they work fine. I forgot to add that to my post. Should I update AnyDVD to the newest problem version or do what you suggest with the 7.3.5.0 version that I currently have installed?

Thanks!

Yes I have drives and they work fine. I forgot to add that to my post. Should I update AnyDVD to the newest problem version or do what you suggest with the 7.3.5.0 version that I currently have installed?

Thanks!

I always use the most current version as there are fixes in there that supports new discs.

I do not believe it is an AnyDVD issue. I think it has something to do with windows 8.1 I have four (4) workstations. All have the most current version. The no drives issue only appeared in this laptop because it fell and the DVD drive was ejected from its seat. Once I re-installed it, it's had it's problems of disconnecting. However, I always resolve it by uninstalling the DVD drives from device manager and re-scan for hardware changes. As I mentioned earlier/above, Exit AnyDVD, and launched it again, and it always finds my dvd drive.

Back