• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

NEWBIE needs help !!!

coyotesupergenius

Hi !

I'm a "newbie" to this forum, having recently purchased AnyDVD & Clone DVD2
on Dec. 31st.

Been pleased with the quality & user-friendly operation of the two packages, but am having a recurring problem.

Whenever I burn to DVD+ DL, the copied disc freezes or hangs about halfway through the film, forcing me to advance the disc a few seconds to resume playback. This occurs every time.:bang::bang::

I'm assuming this is an issue with the layer switch as any copies burned to single layer DVR-R do not have this problem.

Media for burning is Verbatim DVD+R DL. I'm running a Dell Inspiron 9300 with 2gig Centrino processor & 1gig DDR2 RAM. Burner is an NEC ND-6650A, firmware version 103D(latest version, to my knowledge), this came with the computer. Using Windows XP Pro SP2, with all patches & updates installed.
Ditto for latest Slysoft/Elby software.

Any advice would be appreciated. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.:bowdown:

Thanks,:)

Jim H.
St. John's, Newfoundland-CANADA
The oldest city in North America!

Yes, this does sound like bad burn quality around the layer break.

1. a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original movie disc in your optical burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"

2. What version of Clonedvd are you using? Use version numbers please.

3. At what speed are you burning your blank media?

4. Try this method with Clonecd instead (I don't use Clonedvd to burn +R DL blank media; I prefer using Clonecd) just to see if it works: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

5. I would also try another burner to see if that resolves your problem

Last edited:
NEWBIE needs help!!!

Hi, Webslinger...

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly....

A bit alarmed that I seem to have purchased the wrong software. I naturally assumed that CLONEDVD2 would be the correct software. Is there no way around the issue I'm having using the existing software ???:(

To answer some of your questions, I am using the latest ANYDVD/CLONE DVD 2...versions are:6.3.1.5 & 2.9.1.5 respectively.

Tried the latest Nero CD/DVD speed...the options were greyed out so d/l's the latest Imgburn..ver. 2.4.0.0. Tried to change book type but received the error message..."(UNKNOWN) FAILED ! REASON: invalid command operation code", whatever that means.

Blank media used is: Verbatim DVD+R DL disc ID:MKM-001-00

Using the software almost exclusively to back up my library, which is fairly extensive. i have tried the occasaional rental disc for comparison, but encounter the layer freeze every time regardless...:bang:

I will try to create a logfile & submit it to the forum if this is OK.

Thanks again for your patience.:bowdown:

Jim H.

The oldest city in North America !

A bit alarmed that I seem to have purchased the wrong software. I naturally assumed that CLONEDVD2 would be the correct software. Is there no way around the issue I'm having using the existing software ???

Clonedvd should work fine, provided you select "dvd+/-r DL" near the quality bar and selected a 2x or a 4x burn speed.

I just have far less issues when using Clonecd with +R DL blank media, and Clonecd also retains the original layer break position in addition to backing up PC files that may appear as bonus features (wallpapers, screensavers, etc.) Clonedvd doesn't retain the original layer break position, and it only backs up video.

But you can certainly try the free trial of CLonecd to see if your issue goes away.

To answer some of your questions, I am using the latest ANYDVD/CLONE DVD 2...versions are:6.3.1.5 & 2.9.1.5 respectively.

Do this please:

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original movie disc in your optical burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"

Tried the latest Nero CD/DVD speed...the options were greyed out so d/l's the latest Imgburn..ver. 2.4.0.0. Tried to change book type but received the error message..."(UNKNOWN) FAILED ! REASON: invalid command operation code", whatever that means.

Yeah, you may be out of luck, as I don't believe your burner supports bitsetting changes. You may want to ask here: click http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/first-firmware-nec-nd6650-slimline-dvd-burner-137796/index10.html

I would try another burner; yours may be slowly dying or simply incapable of burning Verbatim +R DL blank media properly (which, by definition, would mean the drive is defective since Verbatim +R DL is typically the standard burner companies use to ensure their burners are working properly).

i have tried the occasaional rental disc for comparison

I cannot help you with rentals, and asking for help with rentals is against forum rules.

Last edited:
Hi, Webslinger....

Thanks again for the speedy reply,

I will try the CLONE CD trial as you suggest & also attempt to upload an error log over the next few days to see if there's an improvement.

The NEC ND-6650A burner is a Dell OEM, and while it's less than two years old, I guess that precludes me from trying Liggy's flash mods. DELL seem to be very slow with firmware updates, as there seems to be a newer version on NEC's own website. Everything I've read about OEM vs. retail box burners advses to update from the OEM provider only. Does this make sense ?

Hope it's not failing.....

My computer is a laptop which would preclude another burner. I do have a desktop, but not sure if Slysoft would allow me to run a trial on another computer from the same IP address ???

Didn't mean to infer that I was "pirating" rentals. Merely tired it a couple of times to see if there was a difference out of frustration. My collection is quite large & I'm anxious to preserve it.

Would you know if it's possible to make 1:1 quality backups of a DVD spread over two DVD-R's as opposed to DVD+-R DL ? Can't seem to find any instruction on thr software.

Thank you again for your assistance !:bowdown::bowdown:

Jim H.

The oldest city in North America!

Everything I've read about OEM vs. retail box burners advses to update from the OEM provider only. Does this make sense ?

Yeah, because in some cases retail burner firmwares cannot be used with OEM burners

My computer is a laptop which would preclude another burner. I do have a desktop, but not sure if Slysoft would allow me to run a trial on another computer from the same IP address ???

Yeah, you can. Just don't use Anydvd and Clonedvd at the exact same time on both systems.

Would you know if it's possible to make 1:1 quality backups of a DVD spread over two DVD-R's as opposed to DVD+-R DL ?

Yes. Just select "dvd+/-R DL" near the quality bar in Clonedvd, and use the scissor icon in Clonedvd to split the main movie over two single layer discs. If you want to split the movie over two single layer blanks, use the scissor icon towards the bottom of the screen and select the beginning and end chapters that you want to burn. This feature is pretty easy to figure out. Clonedvd2, unlike Shrink and Recode can retain the original menus while splitting across two single layer discs. Just ensure the quality bar is showing 100% if you do want to split across two discs.

Back