• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New WinDVD BD/HD-DVD does not work with Anydvd HD

In Search of the Holy Grail

Just to clarify - The story so far-

1) WinDVD V8 does NOT play backed-up blu-ray files from the Hard Drive?

2) WinDVD V8 does NOT work with graphic cards less than series 8xxx?

3) WinDVD for Vaio BD will only play back-up files if burned to a BD ROM?

4) PowerDVD Ultra stutters with Blu-ray but will play backed up Blu-ray files from the Hard drive?

Is this correct?

Just to clarify - The story so far-

4) PowerDVD Ultra stutters with Blu-ray but will play backed up Blu-ray files from the Hard drive?

Is this correct?
My experience is, that I can't get WinDVD8 to reliably play BD / HD DVD at all. And no, it doesn't play BD / HD DVD files from harddisk.
PowerDVD Ultra plays from Harddisk, and it doesn't stutter at all.

Hi there!

1 & 2: Nope and nope! The newly released WinDVD fon Nvidia is not the much aniticipated new full release of the prog, but just another OEM version simply to push Nvidia's 8xxx cards (Just as WinDVD BD for Vaio is nothing but a specialized OEM for Sony). A full fledged new release for both BD & HD from Intervideo is yet to come!

Seems so. But so far (and this applies only to Vaio PCs I guess) it is the only player-software that delivers splendid & stutter-free Blu-ray playback (from commercial discs).

Again this might apply only to Sony Vaio notbooks, but yes, as for my (and some friends') experience, PowerDVD Ultra does everything it should do, but it suffers from stutters while playing back Blu-ray discs. The newer the version, the less is the stuttering experienced. With the newest 2911 version, the stuttering is almost gone (but it is still far from a smooth playback).

But bear in mind, that the whole PowerDVD issue might well just have to do with some weird (in)compatibility problem with the Vaio structure and the supplied cards.

My experience is, that I can't get WinDVD8 to reliably play BD / HD DVD at all. And no, it doesn't play BD / HD DVD files from harddisk.
PowerDVD Ultra plays from Harddisk, and it doesn't stutter at all.

This is the weirdest thing of all... and so I guess it must truly be a Sony Vaio thing. I don't know about HD DVDs, but on any BD-equipped Vaio I've seen, WinDVD BD for Vaio delivers the best Blu-ray playback. No stuttering, no sound issues... just smooth. (That's why I was trying to find ways to stick with it region-code wise). On each Vaio I've tried (both my VGN-AR31S and 3 others - a 21S and 2 31S from some friends), PowerDVD Ultra has playback problems and suffers from shaky Blu-ray playback full of stuttering. And that with all possible configurations.
The stuttering only occurs when the HDMI-out is being used to playback on HD-TV. As long as playback only happens on the notebook screen, PowerDVD is also smooth.

Go figure...! :confused: Like I wrote above, I guess it has something to do with the nvidia cards used on these Vaios, and how they interact within the whole Sony structure. Nvidia also has a tough time to provide with reliable drivers that support the HDCP-enabled HDMI-output of the Vaios.

It is all just a mess!!!

Just letting the whole Blu-ray business die might indeed just be the easiest solution!! Maybe I'll just do that after all...

Best regards

Petros

Thanks Petros - That's pritty much what I thought - I will wait for Peer and the SlySoft Team to sort out playback from the Hard Drive with WinDVD for BD - Seems Sony are keeping us where they want for the moment!

Captain Harlock

I hae sent you a PM re BD for Vaio issue

Hope you can help

Last edited:
Thanks Petros - That's pritty much what I thought - I will wait for Peer and the SlySoft Team to sort out playback from the Hard Drive with WinDVD for BD - Seems Sony are keeping us where they want for the moment!

Huh? How could Peer and I sort that out?

Well here's me a (very) Junior Member thinking you and Peer could sort out just about anything regards 'backing-up' playable video content to hard drive - not let yourselves (and your excellent program) be restricted by the likes of Sony? :doh:

Last edited:
How can they fix what someone else's software broke?

Is their software 'broke' or is it intentionally not allowing playback of backed-up content from the Hard drive - maybe not? (perhaps I see Sony Conspiracies everywhere) however bottom line is AnyDVD HD usefulness is restricted! - If I had the obvious talent and resources of the SlySoft Team I would want to find a work-around so as my excellent program would produce content that allows for the best quality of playback of BD material from the hard drive with the widest range of existing available playback software.

Last edited:
Is their software 'broke' or is it intentionally not allowing playback of backed-up content from the Hard drive - maybe not (perhaps I see Sony Conspiracies everywhere) however bottom line is AnyDVD HD usefulness is restricted! - If I had the obvious talent and resources of the SlySoft Team I would want to find a work around so as my excellent program would produce content that allows for the best quality of playback of BD material from the hard drive with the existing available playback software.

The problem is that, WinDVD does not allow you to select files on harddisk. It only plays back from optical media.

OK James - Sorry if I was a bit slow on the uptake - now it's much clearer to me what's going on - I guess I need to wait to see if WinDVD (ever?) gets round to playing BD content from the Hard Disk or to see if PowerDVD improves or maybe just junk the BD hardware? - Thanks for your patience :eek:

Last edited:

Actually I think you could do several things:

1) Figure out why WinDVD does not play BDs modified "on the fly" by AnyDVD. It could probably be either because of "Book type" (BD-ROM) or because of the "SLY!" folder. You said before it was "a piece of cake" to change AnyDVD so that it changes "Book type", i.e. makes BD-ROM look like BD-R or BD-RE. I'm going to check "SLY!" folder theory tonight - will burn it to BD-RE in addition to BDMV folder and see whether WinDVD will still play the disc.

2) Change Virtual CloneDrive so that when Blu-ray image is mounted with it, it reports it as Blu-ray to programs accessing it, not DVD.

I was doing some experiments with Blu-ray images recently - was creating them from BDMV folders using Nero Burning ROM, and also was saving them back to HDD after burning something to BD-RE. When I was checking BD-RE disc or images with IsoBuster, it was showing "BD" as Track type, and "BD" (for images) or "BD-RE" (for disc) as disc type. But when I was mounting images with Virtual CloneDrive or Nero ImageDrive, IsoBuster was reporting them as "DVD"...

3) Create Virtual CloneDrive "Plus", which will create images "on the fly" from folders on hard drive.

I think, at least 1) and 2) are quite feasible.

Thank you!

Hello, SuperGoof and other programmers,

I would like to repeat my question whether someone could write and upload a free little BD-Region reset tool for PowerDVD Ultra and WinDVD Platinum--especially the process for resetting WinDVD sounds complex, so a tool would be a great help.

Many greetings, :)

A Friend

Actually I think you could do several things:

1) Figure out why WinDVD does not play BDs modified "on the fly" by AnyDVD. It could probably be either because of "Book type" (BD-ROM) or because of the "SLY!" folder. You said before it was "a piece of cake" to change AnyDVD so that it changes "Book type", i.e. makes BD-ROM look like BD-R or BD-RE. I'm going to check "SLY!" folder theory tonight - will burn it to BD-RE in addition to BDMV folder and see whether WinDVD will still play the disc.
I will immediately, if I *ever* get WinDVD to work at all. And no, I will not buy a Vaio just for this purpose.

2) Change Virtual CloneDrive so that when Blu-ray image is mounted with it, it reports it as Blu-ray to programs accessing it, not DVD.
Will do.

Hello, SuperGoof and other programmers,

I would like to repeat my question whether someone could write and upload a free little BD-Region reset tool for PowerDVD Ultra and WinDVD Platinum--especially the process for resetting WinDVD sounds complex, so a tool would be a great help.

Many greetings, :)

A Friend
I'll pass. You should repeat your request at the doom9 forums, this is not the right place.

And no, I will not buy a Vaio just for this purpose.

No need to go to that expense, just get yourself an Nvidia 8xxx series graphics card :)

The latest WinDVD works fine with both HD DVD and BD, picture quality is on par with PowerDVD with no playback issues for me at least.

However it seems to be very much a mouse driven UI which I don't like with only basic controls having keyboard shortcuts which is not much use if you like to use a RC with your HTPC.

I Have A 7800gtx

I have a 7800GTX in a Dell XPS Gen.4 system, it was top of the line when I got it two years ago, its still fairly powerfull.

I hooked up XBOX HD DVD, Vista 32-bit installed UDF drivers automatically.

I installed AnyDVD HD.

I installed PowerDVD Ultra HD.

PowerDVD works great with AnyDVD (expcept I can't get subtitles to turn off when playing back the ripped files).

WInDVD 8, the absolute latest version, will simply NOT play the DVD or the files ---> WinDVD8 just aint happenin with this setup.

So that's what's up with a 7-Series GPU user.

appdevman.

No need to go to that expense, just get yourself an Nvidia 8xxx series graphics card :)

The latest WinDVD works fine with both HD DVD and BD, picture quality is on par with PowerDVD with no playback issues for me at least.

However it seems to be very much a mouse driven UI which I don't like with only basic controls having keyboard shortcuts which is not much use if you like to use a RC with your HTPC.

Does it *really* require Vista?

PowerDVD works great with AnyDVD (expcept I can't get subtitles to turn off when playing back the ripped files).
How do you play back the ripped files? Do not start a single file, always use playback from folder (Yes, PowerDVD behaves different if you do).

Back