• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New Weapon To Fight Piracy.

Hawk

Metal detectors and night-vision goggles are turning up in Calgary movie theatres as the film industry attempts to crack down on pirating.

This year, Calgary has become a major sources for pirated films recorded in the theatre using camcorders or cellphones, said Serge Corriveau, vice-president of the Canadian Motion Picture Distributors Association, which works with major film studios to protect their copyright in Canada.

Moviegoer Sharanpal Ruprai recently went to an advance screening of the film Becoming Jane where security staff took cellphones and laptop computers from ticket-holders.

"They were really checking, and one guy seemed to have a metal detector," she said. "Halfway through the movie, I looked up and [saw] another security guard had what seemed to be night-vision goggles. He was sort of scanning the audience for cellphones or cameras, that sort of thing."

Each print of a film carries an identifying watermark so pirated films can be traced to the very movie theatre they were filmed in, said Corriveau.

The industry is turning to a combination of high-tech and low-tech procedures to combat the problem, he said: "Having people searching knapsacks and people going up and down the aisles once the movie's started to see if they can spot somebody camcording. You can see also people with night-vision goggles searching through the crowd trying to see if they can find something."

Corriveau said that during special pre-screenings, metal detectors will also be used.

New legislation meant to catch pirates

New legislation meant to crack down on film piracy was introduced by the federal government in June, two days after former action star and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger met with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Currently, under the Copyright Act, a person who commercially distributes a movie they filmed in a theatre can be prosecuted, but Justice Minister and Attorney General Robert Douglas Nicholson said in June there is a gap in the law.

"Sometimes, many times, the individual who is actually doing the camcording is not in the business of commercial redistribution. Afterwards, that individual may be just paid for that particular activity," he said.

A report by a U.S. group trying to combat piracy estimates movie copying costs Hollywood more than $6 billion US a year.

Canada is on a "priority watch list" for countries with high rates of piracy. In May, Warner Brothers announced it would cancel preview screenings in Canada of its summer blockbusters until Canadian law is changed to prohibit taping in theatres.

Source: http://technology.sympatico.msn.cbc...r=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc

Personally I think they have gone too far, what do you have to say about this.

Metal detectors and night-vision goggles are turning up in Calgary movie theatres as the film industry attempts to crack down on pirating.

This year, Calgary has become a major sources for pirated films recorded in the theatre using camcorders or cellphones, said Serge Corriveau, vice-president of the Canadian Motion Picture Distributors Association, which works with major film studios to protect their copyright in Canada.

Moviegoer Sharanpal Ruprai recently went to an advance screening of the film Becoming Jane where security staff took cellphones and laptop computers from ticket-holders.

"They were really checking, and one guy seemed to have a metal detector," she said. "Halfway through the movie, I looked up and [saw] another security guard had what seemed to be night-vision goggles. He was sort of scanning the audience for cellphones or cameras, that sort of thing."

Each print of a film carries an identifying watermark so pirated films can be traced to the very movie theatre they were filmed in, said Corriveau.

The industry is turning to a combination of high-tech and low-tech procedures to combat the problem, he said: "Having people searching knapsacks and people going up and down the aisles once the movie's started to see if they can spot somebody camcording. You can see also people with night-vision goggles searching through the crowd trying to see if they can find something."

Corriveau said that during special pre-screenings, metal detectors will also be used.

New legislation meant to catch pirates

New legislation meant to crack down on film piracy was introduced by the federal government in June, two days after former action star and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger met with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Currently, under the Copyright Act, a person who commercially distributes a movie they filmed in a theatre can be prosecuted, but Justice Minister and Attorney General Robert Douglas Nicholson said in June there is a gap in the law.

"Sometimes, many times, the individual who is actually doing the camcording is not in the business of commercial redistribution. Afterwards, that individual may be just paid for that particular activity," he said.

A report by a U.S. group trying to combat piracy estimates movie copying costs Hollywood more than $6 billion US a year.

Canada is on a "priority watch list" for countries with high rates of piracy. In May, Warner Brothers announced it would cancel preview screenings in Canada of its summer blockbusters until Canadian law is changed to prohibit taping in theatres.

Source: http://technology.sympatico.msn.cbc...r=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc

Personally I think they have gone too far, what do you have to say about this.
They haven't, I wouldn't appreciate people pirating movies either if I was in their position.

I wouldn't mind these security measures. If you aren't doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about. However with WB refusing to screen pre releases in Canada in an attempt to force us to change our laws I think IS going too far.

"The industry is turning to a combination of high-tech and low-tech procedures to combat the problem, he said: "Having people searching knapsacks and people going up and down the aisles once the movie's started to see if they can spot somebody camcording. You can see also people with night-vision goggles searching through the crowd trying to see if they can find something."

How do we know it's not just some dudes looking for "hot" chicks... :D

Maybe movie theaters should lower their stupid prices, and maybe movie studios should start releasing films worth admission price.

I like having a film before the DVD comes out

Back