• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

new version, not recognizing blanks

Indyrod

never had this problem before, and not sure what is going on. after I installed v7.1.9.0, my system period is not recognizing the blank as even being there. so, can't provide any kind of log, and no titles are involved. I tried rebooting and all of that, but the only thing that worked was to disable anydvd, and then the blank disc was recognized and imgburn worked just fine. after the burn, and starting anydvd up again, it recognizes the newly created burned disc. I'm lost, and it doesn't seem to matter what brand I use.

Anydvd doesn't need to recognise blanks at all. It doesn't burn. It's a decrypter. What brand of blanks are you using atm (and which ones have you used)?

this time it was Memorex, but the same thing with Verbatim and TDK, so not sure what brand has to do with it, and why all at once. never had it before.

the thing is, after I did burn the backup to disc (Memorex), and then started anydvd up again, it recognized that same disc just fine as the movie. the only difference, is it is now a burned disc, and not a blank disc. not really sure I see what's going on, and I'm pretty much a seasoned veteran of anydvd, so to speak from a user standpoint. I'm thinking about going back a version, and see if the problem still exists.

That's normal that anydvd doesn't recognise blanks. Why would it, there is no video data on it to decrypt. Once the movie has been burned onto the blank and is reinserted anydvd sees it as a video discs and checks it. This time it doesn't take any action again because the video has already been decrypted (or you wouldn't have been able to burn it on to the blank in the first place)

The fact remains that both TDK and memorex are crappy blank brands. Verbatim is the only 1 in those 3 brands that is a top notch brand. But even with that brand anydvd still disables itself if a blank is inserted, there's nothing on it to decrypt or it wouldn't be a blank :p

right, I know that, but even though anydvd has nothing to do with a blank disc, the least it could do is make it available to the OS. that's the problem, from my POV, that yea, anydvd is not doing anything with the blank, it is also not making it available to the computer. as I said, I never noticed this issue until the latest released version. doesn't make any difference what brand of blank, how does anydvd know that anyway?

That's normal that anydvd doesn't recognise blanks. Why would it, there is no video data on it to decrypt. Once the movie has been burned onto the blank and is reinserted anydvd sees it as a video discs and checks it. This time it doesn't take any action again because the video has already been decrypted (or you wouldn't have been able to burn it on to the blank in the first place)

now come on. you are telling me, that even though there is nothing to decrypt, that it should be invisible to Windows 7. nope, not buying that. there is a problem, or an issue, on one end or the other. I can get around it, but I shouldn't have to. knowing when and when not to disable anydvd, is something I probably missed. :bang:

Anydvd doesn't "hide" blanks from the OS either. afaik Process is like this

user inserts (blank) disc in drive > drive detects disc > anydvd detects disc in drive and decrypts it > windows gets to see the decrypted disc

if something goes wrong with step 2 (which is likely your issue), it is the DRIVE that doesn't see the blank, so neither does anydvd and neither will windows.

Sounds like dead/dying drive to me.

and no i didn't say that because there's nothing to decrypt, that the disc gets hidden from windows. When that happens it's usually because the drive doesn't "see" the blank and as such can't tell anydvd or windows "Hey i've got a blank disc inside here, what do you want to do with it". I insert blanks on a daily occasion, only use 1 brand (Verbatim) and 1 brand of drives. LG. Not a single issue. My blanks & burned discs get detected every single time, anydvd is active at all times. I don't disable it ever unless i need to test something specific.

Last edited:
right, I know that, but even though anydvd has nothing to do with a blank disc, the least it could do is make it available to the OS. that's the problem, from my POV, that yea, anydvd is not doing anything with the blank, it is also not making it available to the computer. as I said, I never noticed this issue until the latest released version. doesn't make any difference what brand of blank, how does anydvd know that anyway?

It does if you have Autoplay on. If I insert a blank disc, AnyDVD scans the disc, sees it is blank and does nothing. After a few seconds, the Windows "Autoplay" box will pop up and ask if I want to "Burn files to disc", etc. If you have Autoplay turned off, nothing will happen as the OS sees it as blank also and doesn't see a need to do anything either, as there is no program verifying the presence of a blank (ie. CloneDVD, Nero, ImgBurn, whatever).

Last edited:
yes, Windows does come up with the Autoplay box after anydvd releases the drive I guess, and makes it visible in Windows Explorer. but the Autoplay box is not appearing, because the blank dvd is not being recognized as even being there unless I disable anydvd. in otherwords, it appears like anydvd is not releasing the drive like it does after a dvd scan and it is not showing up in Windows Explorer. I don't understand how it could be the drive, when I disable anydvd, and it works fine. :confused:

Why do you need AnyDVD for a blank disc? :confused:
Disable or exit the software.

Why do you need AnyDVD for a blank disc? :confused:
Disable or exit the software.

If you read post #1 again, he said that after installing AnyDVD 7.1.9.0, his system doesn't see the blanks.

Therefore, other software does not see a blank in the drive.

Hence why Indyrod has to disable AnyDVD.

Last edited:
If you read post #1 again, he said that after installing AnyDVD 7.1.9.0, his system doesn't see the blanks.

Therefore, other software does not see a blank in the drive.

Hence why Indyrod has to disable AnyDVD.

Yes, after installing AnyDVD 7.1.9.0, I know. ;)
However, why does he need AnyDVD for burning purposes?
He did only say that disabling AnyDVD solved the problem, so I guess closing AnyDVD in the system tray would also help that any other software (e.g. ImgBurn) sees a blank in the drive.
Of course, it would be interesting to figure out why version 7.1.9.0 doesn't recognize his blanks anymore provided that AnyDVD is running in the background, but there is no reason not to shut down AnyDVD.

whoa, I owe you guys an apology, and I'm here to give it. I couldn't get my drive to recognize anything this morning, and took it to a tech guy that does about everything. he thought at first it was something that can get clicked out of place with the drive hardware, if you screw around with it. but after further checking, it was the drive itself going out, or finally gone out, which of course is what you guys suggested, and I would too. I've never seen a rom drive go out like this, which made me think other things were going on. anyway, he had an extra drive only a year old and popped it in, and so far, everything is working. $45, drive and labor.

and the stuff with the blanks... that was I think because the drive was in the process of going out, and giving me a lot of weird crap, so just forget that, and I truly do apologize for the fuss.

However, why does he need AnyDVD for burning purposes?

The point is, AnyDVD shouldn't need to be disabled or exited when a blank is inserted into the drive for it to be visible by the system.
Blanks should be visible with AnyDVD running ;)

Anyway, good to hear the problem is sorted :clap:

Somewhere, maybe on this forum, I thought I read under some circumstances, anydvd needs to be disabled for I thought the burn process which doesn't make sense, so I'm probably wrong (may have had to do with BD). but I know I saw that under some combinations of software, anydvd should be disabled, but I forget what. :confused:

The point is, AnyDVD shouldn't need to be disabled or exited when a blank is inserted into the drive for it to be visible by the system.
Blanks should be visible with AnyDVD running

You're right. ;)
My suggestion was a temporary solution at best.

Anyway, good to hear the problem is sorted :clap:

:agree:

Somewhere, maybe on this forum, I thought I read under some circumstances, anydvd needs to be disabled for I thought the burn process which doesn't make sense, so I'm probably wrong (may have had to do with BD). but I know I saw that under some combinations of software, anydvd should be disabled, but I forget what.

I would say bootlegs, which are not CSS or AACS protected. :D

Somewhere, maybe on this forum, I thought I read under some circumstances, anydvd needs to be disabled for I thought the burn process which doesn't make sense, ....

Yes, don't believe everything you read. ;)

Back