• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New U.S. Copyright Office ruling says it's illegal to copy DVDs.

tehloxely

Recently the U.S. Copyright Office in response to a request to provide a copy exemption for consumers wanting to watch legally-owned DVDs on non-disc devices, has ruled it's illegal to bypass copy-protection in order to make digital copies for playback on hard drives, tablets, phones, and non-disc devices.

The DVD Copy Control Association was able to argue that when a consumer purchases a DVD, they only have the rights to play that DVD. In essence this ruling shuts down the legal availability of software/hardware devices that allow you to copy a DVD onto hard drives.
Quote:
“While copyright owners are taking tentative steps to link motion pictures purchased on DVD to digital versions playable on new devices [UltraViolet and other digital copy initiatives], there is no indication that this program — if successful and sustainable — would apply retroactively to the millions of DVDs already lawfully owned by consumers and purchased when DVD was the only format available to them,” Public Knowledge argued.

Public Advocacy group Public Knowledge argued legal DVD owners should be able to bypass the Content Scrambling System (CSS) in order to “space shift” content to other devices because emerging technologies, such as tablets, do not come with disc drives.
Quote:
“DVD CCA alleges that the proposed exemption would harm the market for works distributed in the DVD medium as well as that for works offered in other digital media, explaining that the proposed exemption would displace sales from existing and forthcoming digital offerings that the DMCA was meant to encourage and create ‘public confusion’ as to what is permitted activity,” the ruling reads.

So what was Public Knowledge’s Michael Weinberg response to this ruling?
Quote:
“ridiculous that such activity is illegal.”

Keep in mind this ruling doesn't apply to legal Disc-to-Digital copy options out there, such as Ultraviolet and other services. So what do you think?

Source: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436730/new-ruling-confirms-copying-dvds-is-illegal

i think that they they should keep quiet. Imo consumers should ALWAYS have the right to backup their movies (dvd, blu-ray or whatever future and past carrier) so they wouldn't have to go out and buy more copies of movies they already have.

I don't see a primary source whatsoever, only a link to a blog/forum that links to an online magazine that has no link to what they are allegedly quoting. The second to last paragraph seemingly implies that all this "end of the world" info is from a blog. Meh.

So supposedly the US government will call me a criminal for exercising what I deem to be my rights. A bad ruling is a bad ruling is a bad ruling is a bad ruling. Won't change one whit what I do in the privacy of my own home.

The copyright office is tasks to come up with exemptions to the DMCA every three years, which is what their statements pertain to. They do NOT define what the laws are. That is the job of congress (at least in the US). It is beyond their mandate to say that time and format shifting are illegal (especially when the supreme court has ruled that they are not).

I don't see a primary source whatsoever, only a link to a blog/forum that links to an online magazine that has no link to what they are allegedly quoting. The second to last paragraph seemingly implies that all this "end of the world" info is from a blog. Meh.

So supposedly the US government will call me a criminal for exercising what I deem to be my rights. A bad ruling is a bad ruling is a bad ruling is a bad ruling. Won't change one whit what I do in the privacy of my own home.

See page 65276 of http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2012/77fr65260.pdf (17th page of the document. Center column, about a third of the page down.)
Link to document is on the Copyright office website: http://www.copyright.gov/1201/

To be clear, this ruling does not make it illegal to copy DVDs not does it claim to do so. The DCMA makes it illegal to bypass the copy protection in order to make the copy. Copying is legal. Bypassing copy protection to make the copy is illegal.

The Library of Congress is tasked with the job of granting exceptions/exemptions to the DCMA. There was a request for an exemption for the purpose of "space shifting". This ruling simply stated that
proponents failed to establish that the prohibition on circumvention is imposing an adverse impact on noninfringing uses and [LOC] declined to recommend the requested exemptions for space shifting.

Thanks for the links, whurlston, now I can investigate the claims being made. Too bad the person originally writing about this didn't give links; poor reportage IMO.

Unless the very equipment and software you use to do it is made illegal and unavailable to you.

Like that is going to stop privacy and hackers from doing what they always do just laugh at the US copyright laws..... while the US copyright does this :bang: to the law abiding citizens...

IMO, there really is nothing surprising here. It's basically just a restatement of the legal confusion the studios try to create for consumers that has persisted since betamax.

Until they start actually winning legal cases against fair use, everything they do is just smoke and mirrors meant to try and prevent the normal evolution of how consumers consume technology.

It's always good to keep talking about this stuff though because you better believe that the studios will try to do stuff in the dark away from consumers eyes to limit their choices.

They can't do anything about it short term really, but they can long term through indoctrination by teaching it to kids in schools starting from 1st grade. ("Only bad evil people copy.") It will change verrrry slowly, but, it will change, and 50 to 100 years from now when we're all gone our grandchildren will likely live in a world we won't like.

I don't think so. Kids are very smart with technology. If they make it illegal to make backup copies of the movies you own, then, these "rebellious" kids (teenagers), will do the oposite. Now they don't have to protest against the Draft, they can protest against the right to make backup copies. But as long as mommy and daddy are willing to shell out the money to get new movies, why should they care until they go out on their own.

We can all put a stop to this in the USA, by VOTING this Tuesday, November 6, 2012! Remember, allot of Hollywood supports Obama.

I have to apologies if this offends anyone. I'm only stating the facts, as I see them.
:rock:

I do agree with you. Kids are very intelligent by now to do back-up copy.

:clap::clap::rock::rock:

lmao....they think were still in the stone age or something everything is now internet connected or connected this is the very reason why they are loosing market shares but fails to even see what is coming....

:clap::clap::rock::rock:

lmao....they think were still in the stone age or something everything is now internet connected or connected this is the very reason why they are loosing market shares but fails to even see what is coming....

True. I was in college over a decade ago when Napster was illegal, and the college students there taught me how to use it, and download music.

Nowadays, I'm legit with all of my downloading, because with the problems you can get, such as viruses, trojans, and the like.

Amazon or iTunes is what I do for MP3s now, and Slysoft for backing up my legit and paid for movies/TV shows.

I'm glad that I paid for some legit copies of all the Slysoft suites available.

Legit is the way to go.

Back