• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New To CloneDVD2 Questions about Settings for Best Quality and Output Differences

XenosagaLover

Ok so I just downloaded the trial version of CloneDVD2 and I had a couple questions being new to this software and well copying DVDs in general:

1. In the Quality settings which is the best option to choose from to not lose any quality? When I look at the bar it seems DVD+/-R DL is the best at 100% but I don't really know what the difference is between that and the other options besides that the quality meter goes down on the others. Is there some difference besides quality between the options?

2. For the output method which is the best for lossless quality DVD Files or ISO/UDF Image? What is the difference between the two? I am confused on this.

3. In the Audio and Subtitles Settings what is the difference between English Dolby AC-3/6 or 3/2? Does one need both for the dvd to run fine?

Thanks so much for your time I hope someone will be willing to help me on this. :)

PS sorry if these are newbie obvious questions.

1. DVD+/-r DL naturally which means double layer disc. If the original disc is DVD 5 (single later) you could technically change it to dvd5 and keep the quality the same.

2. Output method has no impact at all on the quality, as the name suggests, it only affects in which format you want the output. DVD files or files within an iso.

3/6 are main movie audio while 3/2 in most cases is commentary audio

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Ok so I just downloaded the trial version of CloneDVD2 and I had a couple questions being new to this software and well copying DVDs in general:

1. In the Quality settings which is the best option to choose from to not lose any quality? When I look at the bar it seems DVD+/-R DL is the best at 100% but I don't really know what the difference is between that and the other options besides that the quality meter goes down on the others. Is there some difference besides quality between the options?

This depends on the DVD format was it DVD5 or DVD9 if DVD5 using DVD9 will not improve quality you need to do a 1:1 match as close to the commerical dvd format. For DVD5 movie you use DVD-5 to match to DVD5 format and for DVD9 you use DVD+/-R DL. But if you should also check to make sure to use DVD+R and DVD+R DL media and your burner can booktype or bitset to DVD-ROM to make it more compatible with standalone players.

2. For the output method which is the best for lossless quality DVD Files or ISO/UDF Image? What is the difference between the two? I am confused on this.

DVD files is only if your going to use a dvd authoring software for just the movie - if you want full menu functions as the original you want to make a ISO file this will preserve the menu and movie format. Also you can burn the ISO file back to DVD and it will be exactly like the original DVD in playback. But ISO does take up more space so if your saving the movie this format make sure you have plenty of HDD space. DVD files is for some that want to stream the movie itself or re-author the movie but I haven't done this myself.

3. In the Audio and Subtitles Settings what is the difference between English Dolby AC-3/6 or 3/2? Does one need both for the dvd to run fine?

This one I leave for others as when I do a ISO or CloneDVD backup I just keep everything checked as is by default.

Thanks so much for your time I hope someone will be willing to help me on this. :)

PS sorry if these are newbie obvious questions.

This is what I do...for movie backup...

This depends on the DVD format was it DVD5 or DVD9 if DVD5 using DVD9 will not improve quality you need to do a 1:1 match as close to the commerical dvd format. For DVD5 movie you use DVD-5 to match to DVD5 format and for DVD9 you use DVD+/-R DL. But if you should also check to make sure to use DVD+R and DVD+R DL media and your burner can booktype or bitset to DVD-ROM to make it more compatible with standalone players.

Ok so I am confused how do you tell what the original kind of DVD format was? Also if you are just planning on keeping a copy of the dvd on your computer to watch does it matter which format or will that change the quality even just watching it on the computer?

Thanks so much for your time. :D

how do you tell what the original kind of DVD format was?

This information is usually printed on the DVD case artwork (e.g. DVD9/Dual Layer). Sometimes, that info is printed on the actual DVD too.
AnyDVD will show the Layers information after scanning a disc.
Layers: 2 is a DVD9.

LAYERS_20150129_10h31m44s_001_AnyDVDHD_zps35266edb.jpg

if you are just planning on keeping a copy of the dvd on your computer to watch does it matter which format or will that change the quality even just watching it on the computer?

Whatever format you choose, the quality is what you should be looking for.

If you want the original quality of the DVD, aim for 100% Quality:
DUALLAYER_20150129_10h53m33s_002__zpseafe0488.jpg

If it's in the green, overall quality should be acceptable:
DVD5_20150129_10h53m15s_001__zps74e4ebde.jpg

Last edited:
I set DVD+/-R DL for a DVD9 disc, then forgot to change this setting for other dvds. Any reason not to leave it on DVD+/-R DL for best quality if I'll just play the files from my NAS?

Hi XenosagaLover!

I can take a crack at this from my own use of CloneDVD...

The Quality Setting controls the size of the output file and therefore the amount of compression applied to create the output.

If what you're interested in is a lossless backup to just watch on your computer (and not burn to disc), keep the Quality Setting at DVD+/-R DL (it's highest setting) to ensure compression isn't used no matter what size DVD you're backing up.

I set DVD+/-R DL for a DVD9 disc, then forgot to change this setting for other dvds. Any reason not to leave it on DVD+/-R DL for best quality if I'll just play the files from my NAS?

I really don't think so.

I never change mine from DL, unless it's one of the rare times I need to burn a double-layer movie to a single-layer disc. Then the DVD-5 setting will compress the movie so it fits.

But if you're just creating a file to watch on the computer, leaving it at DL should be fine - so you always get best quality.

This depends on what you're trying to do.

BTW, the "lossless quality" aspect is controlled by the Quality Setting just mentioned, not this, the Output setting.

If your interest is to create a backup of the movie that contains just the Main Movie and nothing else, not even the Menu, then you'd probably just create a "DVD Files" output, which is a folder that when played will just play your movie.

If you want basically an identical copy of the DVD disc - menus, extras, and all - to play on your computer then really either option is valid and it's a matter of taste.

First off, before deciding on output method, you'd make sure to click all Titles on the selection screen and make sure "Preserve Menus" is checked. This re-creates the entire DVD.

If you use the "DVD Files" option, then you'll have an output DVD folder which will play in any Media Player. AnyDVD doesn't operate on folders though, just discs, so changing AnyDVD settings while playing a folder will have no effect (... to my knowledge. Someone correct me if this is not entirely accurate).

If you use the "Iso/UDF Image" option, an .iso file is produced. Many Media Players can't play .iso's directly. You'd first have to mount it using VirtualClone Drive. Then it appears as a disc mounted in a "virtual drive". And any Media Player can play it on the drive.

Since this appears as a disc in the computer, AnyDVD treats it like the any other disc. AnyDVD settings in general - and changes made in AnyDVD while it's mounted - do affect how it plays.

The only other consideration I can think of may be time. CloneDVD creates a DVD folder no matter what output option you chose. But for .iso's (and for burning discs), there an additional step to convert the folder to the output specified. So making an .iso would take a little longer than creating a DVD folder.

You got me on that one.

My preference is to have an .iso that is exactly like the DVD disc, so I select all Audio and Subtitles that are available on the disc.

All of this is according to my understanding from working with CloneDVD these years.

If something I've stated is not exactly right, I hope the app experts will sound out and correct it. :=)

T

Last edited:
A good idea is to read the manual, which is included. It answers a lot of questions.

Back