• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New PowerDVD Ultra build 3319f

Don't get an 'open with' option in windows explorer for folders

but then mine doesn't give me an 'open with' option just a play using windows media player

The "open with" option doesn't usually work. You can play the file from the hard disk but there's only one audio stream available (in most movies I tested it's the stream with commentary) and you can't change any settings of the movie. Unfortunately.....

just read cyberlink response on avsform,its a 2 finger response,we should all request a refund,(when we can find another player) and stop knocking any dvd,apart from the odd prob its a bloody brilliant programme.

Until another player comes along that can beat PowerDVD, my solution is to just use my PS3 to create ISO images for Blu-ray and ImgBurn or Nero to create ISO images for HD DVD and mount them with Daemon Tools. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned for my particular setup. The fact that they're removing functionality IS complete BS, however, it's not going to impact my particular situation. I've hated PowerDVD Ultra from the very beginning and my opinion of it has only gotten worse and worse. Unfortunately for us HTPC people, it's the best option we have currently.

I don't entirely place the blame on Cyberlink, however. Like others, I believe the problems with PowerDVD Ultra are a result of the AACSLA coercing them into making sacrifices in design and usability of their product. They're also being forced into programming more difficult security measures to prevent hacking of the MKB's rather than focusing their development efforts on fixing bugs. HDCP requirements also fall heavily on them as their hands are (mostly) tied, there, as well. The key revocation threat hangs over them every 90 days. Either they play ball or watch their key get revoked and have a *LOT* of really pissed off people when that happens. THIS, btw, is an EXTREME example of why DRM is pure unadulterated BS. When a company can walk into another company's office and basically knock over a potted plant and say "you know....it'd be a real shame if anything were to happen to your license", I find that to be ridiculous. The point I'm making here is that I have a lot of anger towards the current state of PowerDVD Ultra, as I have since the beginning, but, we need to focus that anger correctly and direct it at the right target. Cyberlink's hands are mostly tied. Could they do things better? Sure. But given the circumstances, would we do any better than they have? I doubt it.

Really good post, SamuriHL.
But I think AnyDVD can do someting to prevent PowerDVD seing that the data has been changed on the disc...

This is probably not the best place to put this as it might not really be related to a build 3319f problem, but...

I don't seem to be able to make Power DVD Ultra recognize my Dell 3007 as HDCP compliant. I've had problems before with Power DVD telling me it wasn't going to let me run in 2560x1600 to playback HD material but this seems to be something different.

Anyone else experiencing this with a Dell 3007 or have run across similar posts?

Seems enjoying HD content on your computer is a perilous journey these days... :(

Really good post, SamuriHL.
But I think AnyDVD can do someting to prevent PowerDVD seing that the data has been changed on the disc...

Yes, it probably can. The question is...why should it have to? Slysoft shouldn't be forced to make workarounds for absurdities in other programs. Yes, they've already done so in the past with other software, but, this can easily spiral out of control. You make a concession for PowerDVD Ultra. Next you need a different "fix" for Arcsoft's product, etc. I just don't want to see this kind of stuff become pervasive. PowerDVD should not have had that functionality removed, plain and simple. And because they are likely being pressured, it was not 100% their fault. However, now Slysoft has to counter with some more ridiculous code. So the game of cat and mouse will forever continue. This nonsense takes away resources from both sides that could be put to better use IMO.

Last edited:
Yes, they've already done so in the past with other software, but, this can easily spiral out of control. You make a concession for PowerDVD Ultra. Next you need a different "fix" for Arcsoft's product, etc. I just don't want to see this kind of stuff become pervasive. PowerDVD should not have had that functionality removed, plain and simple.

Exactly. It's becoming more of "Fix PowerDVD's stupid problems since everyone uses it" instead of "beating BD+ fully and completely". I'd love to know how the resources of Slysoft are being divided, and this isn't a slam against them, I love them, but having to spend time to fix a problem caused by a retarded move from a 3rd party, which happens to be the only semi-decent way to play back HD material, seems a bit self defeating.

Might as well begin to call the program "AnyPowerDVD".

I think the best solution to this problem is for someone or some company to release a HD disc player that does not have AACS keys. Such a player would require the user to decrypt the disc in some way, either with AnyDVD or other free tools, and then it could work. That way it would not be tied down with all the AACS restrictions, including HDCP. That way, those that want to play by all the rules and bend over backwards for graphics cards and HDCP displays can just buy PowerDVD and be done. Those of us who want to backup our discs, or run movie servers on our home networks, can use the unliscensed player along with AnyDVD.

If only there was already a company who made such an amazing product as to decrypt AACS, and remove protection from the discs... seems like that would be the logical company to make such a marvelous, HD-playing product... :D

Don't worry - there are solutions to this and they are already in the pipeline. No dirty hacks, nothing mean, simple solution, just plenty of work on our side.
Be patient :)

With all due respect, but would it surprise you if I told you that this ticks me off royally?! I bought PowerDVD primarily for playing (legal) HD content off my hard disk; and now it's useless. I'm not sure which doped-up exec came up with this brilliant plan, but you can tell him from me that he's an idiot. Way to keep your customers!!

Way to keep your customers!!

If you're annoyed with Cyberlink for changing the way PowerDVD works, then complain to them. Slysoft didn't force this change on Cyberlink. If PowerDVD doesn't play legally generated HD content from hard disk, then they may be breaching advertising standards, as (as far as I am aware), they still advertise this capability. Either way, the Slysoft forums aren't the place to get action from Cyberlink about PowerDVD.

If you're annoyed with Cyberlink for changing the way PowerDVD works, then complain to them. Slysoft didn't force this change on Cyberlink. If PowerDVD doesn't play legally generated HD content from hard disk, then they may be breaching advertising standards, as (as far as I am aware), they still advertise this capability. Either way, the Slysoft forums aren't the place to get action from Cyberlink about PowerDVD.

Fair enough. It's ultimately a PowerDVD issue.

With all due respect, but would it surprise you if I told you that this ticks me off royally?! I bought PowerDVD primarily for playing (legal) HD content off my hard disk; and now it's useless. I'm not sure which doped-up exec came up with this brilliant plan, but you can tell him from me that he's an idiot. Way to keep your customers!!

How come you think, I'd have that kind of connection with Cyberlink, so I could tell them that kind of thing ? :confused:
You should be complaining to cyberlink, not us.

I think he was just blowing off steam like the rest of us.
He's not really expecting you to make any phone calls.

I don't think anybody here is misguided enough to think that this was cyberlink’s decision. It was however cyberlink’s decision to sneek this out in an update and call it a feature.
They could have fessed up and said that the big bad is forcing this and they don't have any options. (rose tinted glasses perhaps)

But hey its happened, nothing we can do about it but wait for a fix which will most likely use virtual drive technology. Slysoft have developed this in other progs so hopefully it won't take to long.

In the mean time I'm using 3104 and avoiding new Blu-ray disks

Last edited:
I think he was just blowing off steam like the rest of us.
He's not really expecting you to make any phone calls.

I don't think anybody here is misguided enough to think that this was cyberlink’s decision. It was however cyberlink’s decision to sneek this out in an update and call it a feature.
They could have fessed up and said that the big bad is forcing this and they don't have any options. (rose tinted glasses perhaps)

But hey its happened, nothing we can do about it but wait for a fix which will most likely use virtual drive technology. Slysoft have developed this in other progs so hopefully it won't take to long.

In the mean time I'm using 3104 and avoiding new Blu-ray disks

Thanks for sayin'. Yes, I was just blowing off some steam; and it was the middle of the night for me, and I now see I expressed myself very clumsily. My apologies for that. If anything, I look to SlySoft to save us. :) And I think they will -- they always have in the past. So, by all means, keep up the good work!

And yes, I'd rather they came out and said, "Sorry, RIAA and thugs are breathing down our neck, and we have no choice but to comply," then this little stunt they pulled. Well, way it is is the way it is.

P.S. I read (on this forum, *g*) that they're gonna release a new patch, come the 16th of this month, allegedly 'fixing' something. I hope by then sanity has gotten the better of them again, but can't say I'm struck with an overabundance of confidence in the matter.

P.P.S. PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra 3319a still works, too. And it still plays BD+ content from harddisk as well! Very luckily for me I still had that one my XP partition (I only got me the upgrade because PowerDVD ain't exactly rock-stable in Vista Ultimate).

Last edited:
P.S. I read (on this forum, *g*) that they're gonna release a new patch, come the 16th of this month, allegedly 'fixing' something. I hope by then sanity has gotten the better of them again, but can't say I'm struck with an overabundance of confidence in the matter.

The new patch has not been claimed to "fix" anything.

-W

Back