• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Over $80 for10, over $8 per disc. These, https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-100GB-White-Inkjet-Printable/dp/B00POY826G/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3OTBW9QRNF4GT&keywords=bd-xl+disc&qid=1551226021&s=gateway&sprefix=BD-XL,aps,165&sr=8-2, are about $4.50 per disc. I just wonder about the quality. I might have to give them a try. What do you think?

Well, I'll tell you, there is NO way I would pay over $80 for 10 discs.

At least with these discs the price is closer to right. And they are Verbatim.

I would give 'em a shot to see if they work out.

T

I have been trying to get more detailed information about the above discs at Amazon and so far - Nada.

Hi. Just wanted to bump and say thanks to the OP for doing this. Just applied this to a WH14NS40 (SVC NS50 code) drive that came pre-installed with 1.03. The downgrade worked perfectly. Ripped a couple of UHD discs without any issues. This is way better than the other method, which even I thought was really sketchy (and I'm willing to do a lot of legwork to figure things out)!

It's not sketchy, it's just a pain in the ass. :) And more inherently dangerous because it erases the firmware and then flashes the ENTIRE thing by bypassing the drive's update process. This process, however, uses the drive's update process with all the checks involved making it MUCH safer. The downgrade enable part of this equation was the key.

Hi. Just wanted to bump and say thanks to the OP for doing this. Just applied this to a WH14NS40 (SVC NS50 code) drive that came pre-installed with 1.03. The downgrade worked perfectly. Ripped a couple of UHD discs without any issues. This is way better than the other method, which even I thought was really sketchy (and I'm willing to do a lot of legwork to figure things out)!

No problem. Cheers!

Using the media I mentioned previously, I have ripped and copied, "The Fifth Element" and "Ghostbusters 2" [1989]. I am using ImgBurn with the same settings as for dual-layer Blu-Rays for the writes. In both discs, it seems there is a "hiccup" about 1 hour or so into the films [about half way through] - video stutter of freezing. I am using the LG UBK80 for playback. The issues seem to clear up after powering On/Off or cycling the disc tray. It is possible the LG is having trouble with a layer break? Or, something else? Just throwing this out there... :notworthy:

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Just to give you all another option, I have modified the official ASUS ODD FW Flasher tool to allow the user to flash or cross-flash their drive to a "UHD Friendly" firmware.

Included with the ASUS Flasher, is the 'DE' (downgrade enabled) UHD friendly firmwares we are currently using with the LG Flasher tool.

Also, if you happen to use a clean firmware file that hasn't been 'DE' (downgrade enabled), this app will automatically make the file 'DE' enabled and save it.

It is very easy to use:

1. Run ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe.
2. In popup window, select a firmware file to flash. (If you click CANCEL, the auto default firmware is ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02)
3. When the main interface opens, select your drive (if not already selected)
4. Hit "START" button. The drive tray will open. Once firmware flash is completed, drive tray will close again.
5. Done.

Attached is the modified ASUS FW Flasher + Downgrade Enabled Firmware:

PS: I've also attached just the modified ASUS Flasher for those who already have the 'DE' enable firmwares. Just unzip it in to the folder with your 'DE' firmwares.

Have fun guys!!

First of all thank you for the new firmware and development. What exactly is the difference in the 2 firmware flashers. If i buy a new BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.03 what is the different in using the data mover method or there is 2 firmnware flasher here. What is the difference in the one that is not UHD friendly?

First of all thank you for the new firmware and development. What exactly is the difference in the 2 firmware flashers. If i buy a new BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.03 what is the different in using the data mover method or there is 2 firmnware flasher here. What is the difference in the one that is not UHD friendly?

Ok, we should discuss this carefully. :) So Marty patched the ASUS windows flasher so it can be used to flash LG and ASUS firmware bin files and even allows cross flashing. Someone else previously patched the LG windows flasher to do the same thing. Both of those patched windows flashers perform the same function. NEITHER OF THEM use the data mover tool. That was required when people were flashing with the "old" method using dosflash. That is inherently dangerous as it bypasses the drive's "self-update" mode. The patched ASUS and LG windows flashers use the drive's self-update mode to flash, and are as a result WAY safer. The dosflash method should NOT be used. Use the ASUS or LG flasher in windows. No sata configuration nonsense required, just connect the drive to the machine (even in a usb case is fine) and run the flasher, select the firmware bin, and off you go.

That all being said, for this drive I *HIGHLY* recommend using Mike's MK 3.10 firmware (Mike from MakeMKV). It restores the downgradability if you ever need it, plus the UHD friendliness of the drive. Plus ASUS put a bunch of fixes into that firmware. It's considered the best UHD friendly firmware out there right now. If you need help with any of this, let us know.

Ok, we should discuss this carefully. :) So Marty patched the ASUS windows flasher so it can be used to flash LG and ASUS firmware bin files and even allows cross flashing. Someone else previously patched the LG windows flasher to do the same thing. Both of those patched windows flashers perform the same function. NEITHER OF THEM use the data mover tool. That was required when people were flashing with the "old" method using dosflash. That is inherently dangerous as it bypasses the drive's "self-update" mode. The patched ASUS and LG windows flashers use the drive's self-update mode to flash, and are as a result WAY safer. The dosflash method should NOT be used. Use the ASUS or LG flasher in windows. No sata configuration nonsense required, just connect the drive to the machine (even in a usb case is fine) and run the flasher, select the firmware bin, and off you go.

That all being said, for this drive I *HIGHLY* recommend using Mike's MK 3.10 firmware (Mike from MakeMKV). It restores the downgradability if you ever need it, plus the UHD friendliness of the drive. Plus ASUS put a bunch of fixes into that firmware. It's considered the best UHD friendly firmware out there right now. If you need help with any of this, let us know.
Thank you very much for a well explained answer can you please give me a proper download link for the 3.10 firmware and proper flasher from Mike.

I really appreciate help from the forum

Sorry one more thing the new 3.10 software from Mike works with libre drive, UHD friendly and Asus update availability is still there?

A big thank you for your kind explanation but where can I get download link for 3.10 software for BW-16D1HT.

Thanks

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113

The link to the firmware are in that post. The link to the patcher should be in this thread. I'll verify that and post it here if needs be.

EDIT: Yea, see the original post in this thread from Marty...he threw his patched ASUS flasher in there and that's all you need to flash it.
I looked at the link and downloaded yes the flasher is there but the 3.10 software is not and the next post is locked see picture

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190320-195830_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190320-195830_Samsung Internet.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Uh huh? That's a picture of the website I sent you to where the download link is for the firmware bins for the MK versions that Mike created.....

Back