• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

I'm going to do some testing tomorrow and will get back to you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Who said anything about kconan's drive not having it's calibration data? He has only flashed his BH16NS55 using the safe(r) method, which shouldn't touch the drive's calibration data.

I only used the "safer" method. I'll try your suggestion today. So is the calibration data always protected this way?

I just flashed fine but anydvd doesn't seem to like it. I can't play or Rip UHD discs.

Summary for drive J: (AnyDVD HD 8.3.4.0, BDPHash.bin 18-12-06)
HL-DT-ST BD-REWH16NS60 1.00
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.
Total size: 46400224 sectors (90625 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: PACIFIC_RIM
Media is AACS protected!
Drive supports bus encryption!
Disc wants bus encryption!
Failed to send host key (bus encryption)!
¡ERROR al procesar el disco Blu-ray!

Any other suggestion?

The ns60 is not a friendly drive that's why. It's official. It'd work with makemkv but anydvd doesn't support it. And yes flashing with this method protects the encryption and calibration data from being touched.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have done my testing. I'll post on the other thread, as well because I'm sure Alex and Billy will want to know about this. I took my NS60 with 1.00 firmware and flashed it with dosflash 2.0 in my WinPE environment with a modified bin dumped from my ASUS 3.02. Modified in that I took the digital signature from the LG firmware dump I made before I started screwing around with that poor drive a few weeks ago and overwrote the digital signature extracted from the ASUS. So, a firmware bin with all the ASUS 3.02 data, including my calibration data, but, with the one change of replacing the digital signature from the LG drive. Just wanted to make this clear. :) I then wrote an ISO image of a UHD I extracted earlier for another test to a BD-R 25. It's now playing in my UB820 with full Dolby Vision and ATMOS. IOW, my test was successful in replacing the calibration data with that from the ASUS. Now I gotta get this thing back to where it's supposed to be LOL

I have done my testing. I'll post on the other thread, as well because I'm sure Alex and Billy will want to know about this. I took my NS60 with 1.00 firmware and flashed it with dosflash 2.0 in my WinPE environment with a modified bin dumped from my ASUS 3.02. Modified in that I took the digital signature from the LG firmware dump I made before I started screwing around with that poor drive a few weeks ago and overwrote the digital signature extracted from the ASUS. So, a firmware bin with all the ASUS 3.02 data, including my calibration data, but, with the one change of replacing the digital signature from the LG drive. Just wanted to make this clear. :) I then wrote an ISO image of a UHD I extracted earlier for another test to a BD-R 25. It's now playing in my UB820 with full Dolby Vision and ATMOS. IOW, my test was successful in replacing the calibration data with that from the ASUS. Now I gotta get this thing back to where it's supposed to be LOL
Good job :bowdown:

@SamuriHL ,

now you lost me. Did you want to prove that a drive also writes OK with foreign calibration data? If yes, you might have just been lucky.

Please state in a few words what this was all about.

Yea, I've got it back on LG 1.00 and it's writing a BD-RE just fine.

@SamuriHL ,

now you lost me. Did you want to prove that a drive also writes OK with foreign calibration data? If yes, you might have just been lucky.

Please state in a few words what this was all about.

It wasn't luck. You had to follow the discussion about not being able to write discs with a cross flashed drive to understand what's happening here. Putting an ASUS firmware on an LG drive without replacing the LG calibration data caused BD write failures. That's so-called "cross flashing with the patched windows flasher" that is all the new rage. That's wonderful if your goal is only to read discs. However, if you also plan to write them, the patched flasher (aka "safe") method will not work to cross flash a drive. What I did was essentially turn my LG drive into a full blow ASUS drive with all the ASUS calibration data in tact. (Remember, same core hardware in both the LG and ASUS drives). That way the firmware and calibration data matched and I was able to write discs. So no, not luck. Just a confirmation of what I already believed to be true.

It wasn't luck. You had to follow the discussion about not being able to write discs with a cross flashed drive to understand what's happening here. Putting an ASUS firmware on an LG drive without replacing the LG calibration data caused BD write failures. That's so-called "cross flashing with the patched windows flasher" that is all the new rage. That's wonderful if your goal is only to read discs. However, if you also plan to write them, the patched flasher (aka "safe") method will not work to cross flash a drive. What I did was essentially turn my LG drive into a full blow ASUS drive with all the ASUS calibration data in tact. (Remember, same core hardware in both the LG and ASUS drives). That way the firmware and calibration data matched and I was able to write discs. So no, not luck. Just a confirmation of what I already believed to be true.

Just to be clear, SamuriHL is only talking about cross-flashing the WH16NS60. The (safe) method works perfectly fine when cross-flashing other (NON UHD Official) drives for both reading and writing.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, SamuriHL is only talking about cross-flashing the WH16NS60. The (safe) method works perfectly fine when cross-flashing other drives for both reading and writing.

Yes I suppose that's probably true. I don't have any experience with other drives but that does seem to work. If you stay with LG it'll work, too. If you're on an ASUS and flash another ASUS it'd probably work fine.

Unfortunately I don't have the hex editting or dosflashing skills of SamuriHL and company (lol) so my solution was to cross-flash my NS60 to WH16NS40 1.02 with the LG modified flasher.

Worked like a charm!

Have now burned 3 Blu-Ray and 2 DVD discs and counting.... :=).

So my "official" NS60 is now fully AnyDVD-compliant and it burns as it should too.

I had a concern that the firmware may make the drive slower, but I see no evidence of that so far.

I've ripped one Blu-Ray to HD and it was actually faster by a couple of minutes than when I used ASUS 3.02 or even when I was at NS60 1.00 and 1.01.

Burning is taking about the same amount of time as well.

So I'm good and all is right in the world :)

T

I just flashed fine but anydvd doesn't seem to like it. I can't play or Rip UHD discs.

Summary for drive J: (AnyDVD HD 8.3.4.0, BDPHash.bin 18-12-06)
HL-DT-ST BD-REWH16NS60 1.00
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.
Total size: 46400224 sectors (90625 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: PACIFIC_RIM
Media is AACS protected!
Drive supports bus encryption!
Disc wants bus encryption!
Failed to send host key (bus encryption)!
¡ERROR al procesar el disco Blu-ray!

Any other suggestion?
@kconan I had the same result for my new drive ASUS BC-12D2HT. For me the solution was to Exit AnyDVD, go into the System Manager -> Hardware Manager -> Select the drive and set the DVD-Region to my Region. Cause i see you haven't set your Region. Then i started AnyDVD and the program read the Disc without a Problem. I had the Problem with the Matrix UHD and now it reads perfect.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have the hex editting or dosflashing skills of SamuriHL and company (lol) so my solution was to cross-flash my NS60 to WH16NS40 1.02 with the LG modified flasher.

Worked like a charm!

Have now burned 3 Blu-Ray and 2 DVD discs and counting.... :=).

So my "official" NS60 is now fully AnyDVD-compliant and it burns as it should too.

I had a concern that the firmware may make the drive slower, but I see no evidence of that so far.

I've ripped one Blu-Ray to HD and it was actually faster by a couple of minutes than when I used ASUS 3.02 or even when I was at NS60 1.00 and 1.01.

Burning is taking about the same amount of time as well.

So I'm good and all is right in the world :)

T
I have the WH16NS40 and cross-flashed to v1.02. Can I expect to both rip and burn UHDs successfully? I just need to get some reliable UHD media. What are you using?

@kconan I had the same result for my new drive ASUS BC-12D2HT. For me the solution was to Exit AnyDVD, go into the System Manager -> Hardware Manager -> Select the drive and set the DVD-Region to my Region. Cause i see you haven't set your Region. Then i started AnyDVD and the program read the Disc without a Problem. I had the Problem with the Matrix UHD and now it reads perfect.
The drive region is irrelevant in the case of Blu-ray. That only applies to DVD's. BD region is stored in the disc's coding.

What the problem here is, is that's an official UHD drive with matching AACS 2.0 certificate, and those don't work with AnyDVD. Only uhd friendly drives do.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I have the WH16NS40 and cross-flashed to v1.02. Can I expect to both rip and burn UHDs successfully? I just need to get some reliable UHD media. What are you using?

Your WH16NS40 with 1.02 should be fine for both reading & writing. (I'm assuming you mean downgraded from WH16NS40 1.03 to WH16NS40 1.02?)

@testiles had an issue with the WH16NS60 when cross-flashed to ASUS firmware.

You should have no problem ripping UHDs.

I haven't burned any UHDs on this drive, only regular BDs. My LG drive cross-flashed to Asus was having trouble with that.

You should have no trouble burning BDs as I've seen that, and by extension burning UHDs should be ok as well.

If you're asking about reliable BD-R XL discs, I've used these Verbatim in the past and had a good success rate...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGG5ZP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(They were only about $50 for a ten pack at that time. Now over $80? Must be suddenly in demand :=))

One thing I found interesting during my tests with the NS60 when it still had ASUS 3.02 firmware is that it burned DVDs ok.

I tested with them for a while since a DVD coaster is a lot cheaper than a Blu-Ray one (lol).

I thought a burn is a burn.

But I was wrong. No trouble with DVD, but all hell broke loose when burning a Blu-Ray.

Not sure why DVDs didn't fail as well.

I guess I better try burning a BD-R XL and make sure that works....

T

Back