NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by MartyMcNuts, Feb 19, 2019.

1. TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar Well-Known Member

[I have not posted here in quite a while. I have been having issues with my internal drive in a SATA2USB enclosure. My PC does not have a 5.25" drive bay] Anyway... Can someone recommend a USB UHD Blu-Ray writer? Either a drive that is already UHD friendly or one that can be cross-flashed. If it can found at MicroCenter that would be a bonus as I live near a MC.

2. TheEmpathicEar

Or, could someone point me to a thread here where folks are posting about USB Blu-Ray Writers that are UHD friendly and can be cross-flashed?

3. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

Just get a vantec case and stick an LG drive in it. NS40 (made after 2015), NS55, NS60...whatever. Then flash a friendly firmware to it.

DrinkLyeAndDie likes this.
  4. TheEmpathicEar

[Vantec?] I have confidence in my WH16NS40 because I used it as an internal drive for a long time. It's the USB2SATA interface I would like to remove from the equation. IOW, I am willing to spend some $$ to get a USB UHD friendly Blu-Ray writer. And I am just looking for a recommendation?

5. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

DrinkLyeAndDie likes this.
  6. TheEmpathicEar

My bad for any confusion. Above, I was talking about a USB interface external UHD friendly Blu-Ray writer. No SATA2USB enclosure. I want to remove the SATA2USB from the equation.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  7. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

That's a nice lofty goal but the reality is all USB drives are internally sata to USB. In any case, I don't know of any USB friendly drives. The bu40 is an official drive.

8. TheEmpathicEar

Thanks for being patient with me. I was not aware that an external drive, HDD or Optical Writer, still used a SATA interface. I just assumed that there were USB interfaces in externals that bypassed the SATA interface.

9. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

Not usually, no. They're almost always SATA drives just in a case. Which is why I recommended a Vantec case with a desktop drive.

10. TheEmpathicEar

11. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

Yup that's it. The reason I chose that case myself is cause it supports flashing the drives. Not all USB cases do.