NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by MartyMcNuts, Feb 19, 2019.

1. TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar Well-Known Member

Does this method of downgrading the firmware reset the region for the drive? I just noticed that the region on my drive is not set. I have only been working with Blu-Rays since I flashed it.

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

I told you in that other topic, drive hardware regions have zero impact on Blu-ray discs. It only comes into play for DVDs

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar Well-Known Member

I was trying to find out if the drive region is not set at factory. Or, if this method of upgrading/downgrading firmware changes the region setting.

4. Ch3vr0n

It never is, drives always come region 0 (unset) out of the factory. Flashing firmware doesn't change drive hardware region either.

TheEmpathicEar likes this.
  5. Marty S. McFly

Marty S. McFly Well-Known Member

I'm from Canada and all my drives that I purchased were set to region 1 before I got them.

6. Ch3vr0n

That shouldn't be happening, because it effectively used up one of your allowed region changes (max 5). What if you wanted to use the drive for region 2 imported discs, you'd have to use another change.

If that were to happen to me I'd send it back, it's pretty much the same as a used drive. Never before (until now) have I heard about drives coming with a preset region (except laptop matshita drives, but that's a whole different cookie jar).

7. Marty S. McFly

I can play back Region 2 just fine with AnyDVD running and Region 1 set on Drive.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  8. Ch3vr0n

Playing isn't the same as decrypting and ripping.

9. Marty S. McFly

Can do all that. I actually play them back on my HDD.

10. Ch3vr0n

I'm not saying ripping doesn't work, but a mismatched (or unset) region forces anydvd to do a brute force crack method. An unset region makes it just more prone to fail.

But playing still isn't the same as ripping (esp not if you only watch the main movie, vs ripping entire disc)