• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New member: Question on downloading AnyDVD HD

Crower

I just purchased a new Windows 7 laptop, and would like to add AnyDVD HD capability to it so I'll be downloading AnyDVD HD with a lifetime sub. My only problem is that I won't have the new computer connected to the internet for some time. My question is, can I download on my older computer (which is connected) and transfer the download file to my new? I would use AnyDVD HD on my older machine but it lacks a certain degree of sophistication (it's Win ME). Also, how large is the download for AnyDVD HD? Thanks.

PS: Great forum look - works well on my legacy system! Don't change it!

I just purchased a new Windows 7 laptop, and would like to add AnyDVD HD capability to it so I'll be downloading AnyDVD HD with a lifetime sub. My only problem is that I won't have the new computer connected to the internet for some time. My question is, can I download on my older computer (which is connected) and transfer the download file to my new? I would use AnyDVD HD on my older machine but it lacks a certain degree of sophistication (it's Win ME). Also, how large is the download for AnyDVD HD? Thanks.

PS: Great forum look - works well on my legacy system! Don't change it!
Answer to your first question, yes, but you may only use AnyDVD HD on one computer at a time.
Save the download file to a flash drive or what ever you like so you're able to move the file around.

Also know that AnyDVD HD probably won't function at all with Windows ME _ I'm surprised anything functions on that ancient operating system _ how do you even get a browser to work ?

Here's the critical part, in some cases AnyDVD HD has to connect to the internet to decrypt a disc on the fly, so you really should find some way for your new W7 machine to connect to the internet.

The latest Beta is 10.6 MB and took 14 seconds to download on my W8.1 laptop _ the file size isn't that big, but I guess it would depend on how fast you connection is and how capable the laptop is running ME.

I had an old machine running ME and just for the fun of it I tried to make use of it, I couldn't even find a browser that would work. FireFox for example needed a critical component so it would run, to which there was no critical component available _ I just gave up after a while...

It had a whopping 1 Gb of RAM (maxed out), a 60 GB IDE hard drive and a single core processor _ nothing would run on that thing.

Check out the minimum system requirements _ you may try it, but I don't think it will work.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

Last edited:
Many thanks Jeff for your reply. Actually, it's a desktop that's running the ME system and I have so many legacy programs on it which are really valuable to me, that I just don't want to give it up. Other than wearing out one hard drive, it's always been exceptionally reliable for me and handles 90% of the internet well. For example, this website works great other than taking a bit long to load (well that could be my dial-up connection - I know, your wondering if I'm for real about now:agree:). My browser is the last ME compatible version of Firefox (2.0.0.20) and works well except with sites that have adopted all the new Flash based components. Those probably need the missing browser components you referred to. The laptop is the start of a slow transition to more current operating systems though I've heard some really bad things about Windows 8 handling legacy programs (missing drivers and the such), which is the reason I went with Windows 7 to see if it will work so I can migrate some things.

My new laptop is at a location that doesn't have an internet connection (way up in the mountains), and that's why I wondered about the download. I might get a connection at some point, but not right now. I most certainly can download AnyDVD HD and move it to that computer with a thumb drive though, so you answered my question about that. I doubt that I'll even try AnyDVD HD on my old machine but it might be interesting as an experiment.

If I'm using AnyDVD HD without a connection, will it give me an indication or warning if it runs into a disk that needs a file download for decryption? I wouldn't want to have something stop the process and not know what caused it. Of course, if and when I get internet to that machine, the question is irrelevant.

Thanks again.

I doubt that I'll even try AnyDVD HD on my old machine but it might be interesting as an experiment.
Recent AnyDVD versions won't run on Windows 9x (ME).

If I'm using AnyDVD HD without a connection, will it give me an indication or warning if it runs into a disk that needs a file download for decryption?
Most of the time, yes.

After clicking "Submit Reply" it occurred to me - I don't have a Blu-Ray reader/writer in my ME system so that would make it quite an "experiment" to rip a Blu-Ray.

On the other hand, I have a Panasonic UJ-265 unit in my laptop so I guess I'll be doing my share of AnyDVD HD work from there. I might have to "go to town" and visit an internet cafe if I need the internet connection for a given Blu-Ray;)

You may also find you need to buy an external Blu-ray drive as the Panasonic UJ-265 isn't a very good model, so don't be surprised if it gives you issue on both Blu-rays and DVD's

You may also find you need to buy an external Blu-ray drive as the Panasonic UJ-265 isn't a very good model, so don't be surprised if it gives you issue on both Blu-rays and DVD's

Thanks for that input Adbear. In looking at internal BDs for laptops, it was one of the few available, and I found some good reviews on it and the price was right, but it does look rather insubstantial (as do most laptop internal drives). What are your specific experiences with its issues, and can you suggest a good external drive?

Thanks for that input Adbear. In looking at internal BDs for laptops, it was one of the few available, and I found some good reviews on it and the price was right, but it does look rather insubstantial (as do most laptop internal drives). What are your specific experiences with its issues, and can you suggest a good external drive?
I have an LG external Blu-ray drive and re-writer _ it's old _ it's still HD DVD capable and still works well.
Many here agree that a desk top internal Blu-ray reader/writers are good, so I would assume that the external ones are too

As for an internal laptop Blu-ray drive, I can only suggest form experience. Mine are all HP branded drives, some new and some used that I bought from eBay pulled from dv7/HDX18/16 laptops.
They just keep working...
Stay away from Sony Optiarc drives, they all seem to need a firmware update that doesn't exist _ lots of people complaining that the newer Blu-ray movies won't play because of that.

Last edited:
I use Pioneer, Samsung and LG internal Blu-ray drives for laptops. I wouldn't bother with the HP ones as they are overpriced for what you get and will just be another make re-branded.
As to the Sony drives, Sony stopped making laptop drives that's why they aren't bothering to update them.

Last edited:
I use Pioneer, Samsung and LG internal Blu-ray drives for laptops. I wouldn't bother with the HP ones as they are overpriced for what you get and will just be another make re-branded.
As to the Sony drives, Sony stopped making laptop drives that's why they aren't bothering to update them.

Thanks again Adbear. I'll pop a thread in when I get to using the Panny, and let folks know how it's working with SlySoft ADVD. In the meantime, I'll take a look at externals and see what's popular in reviews.

If I'm using AnyDVD HD without a connection, will it give me an indication or warning if it runs into a disk that needs a file download for decryption?
Most of the time, yes.
Eek...not all of the time? Can you provide any guidance as to when it might be silently needed? My machine isn't normally connected to the internet, and I was hoping it would bark at me when that won't work.

Eek...not all of the time? Can you provide any guidance as to when it might be silently needed? My machine isn't normally connected to the internet, and I was hoping it would bark at me when that won't work.

Very few "playlist obfuscated" titles nobody knows or cares about. :)

The problem is only with some discs, where AnyDVD has no way to check, if playback works or not.

Very few "playlist obfuscated" titles nobody knows or cares about. :)

The problem is only with some discs, where AnyDVD has no way to check, if playback works or not.

Got it. So the extent of the problem would be the wrong playlist selected.

Back