• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.
Ok I tried with PowerDVD 17 and I think it's fair to say my LG BH16NS55 is good enough to play the disc as I get this error:
<snip>
It means it recognizes the disc as UHD-BD and tries to decrypt it
Doesn't mean it'd succeed in decryption it though.
We know that drive can read the disks, we don't know if it can do what's needed to decrypt them.

Satalight encryption was defeated by removing the chip plastic cover exposing the data bus and dumped to desktop. Maybe sgx someone will have to tap into the sgx section of the CPU to get the key. Your talking mico electronics. I saw this in a video.

Doesn't mean it'd succeed in decryption it though.
We know that drive can read the disks, we don't know if it can do what's needed to decrypt them.

A drive is a read-only device, once it reads the disc its job is done: PowerDVD has to decrypt the contents then...

A drive is a read-only device, once it reads the disc its job is done: PowerDVD has to decrypt the contents then...
Nope, if the drive doesn't support the correct AACS then PDVD can't decrypt it, so even though the disc can be read that doesn't prove that they can be decrypted

My LG is BD-ROM 4.0 compatible, that should be enough. I am positive about that until proven otherwise

Looking into sgx and looks like the only way into the debugger is thru the seal key. So if you know the seal key you can find the actual key. 128 bit seal key.Maybe wiki leaks might find a employee that will leak it. Sgx uses enclaves to hide it's executive code. Maybe James can find a way to take the communication key Intel generates based on the first check if you are running sgx. Sgx uses this key after to take encrypted software in to enclave to decrypt run the instructions and send out very little info to control desktop like printer, video and sound. There will be no way to intercept the execution code to attain or bypass the key check. To what I read the most important key is the seal key which allows Intel's SDK debugger to monitor the secure enclave of the program. Just to rest assure anyone reading this I'm not a hacker. To make things even harder each version of forsay DRM can update its own seal key so even if someone finds a way the next DRM version will take just as long to defeat. No one is going to be able to do what was done on Blu-ray. If they do then they are very smart intelligant people. The info did say Intel cannot garranty that some one who opens the chip can tap into the enclave portion of the chip . This goes back to my previous post about satalight chips.

Ummm _ OK - Yeah sure...
I'd rather pay someone to understand this for me and be done with it then to try and understand it.

"Hacking" PowerDVD 17 (I believe you're hinting at cracked versions) is one thing.
The other is cracking UHD discs based on PowerDVD 17.
UHD playback, that has been mentioned here, requires SGX - I'm getting the impression, that some seem to think, SGX is some "flag" that needs to be there, so PowerDVD won't refuse to play UHD.
For the technically savvy ones among you, I suggest you read up on what SGX actually is.
The others - in simple terms: it's a hardware based, tightly sealed black box in the CPU that keeps secrets. Really keeps them.

PowerDVD licensing (so far) does not require SGX (because the handful of people owning a CPU with SGX simply won't do as a customer base).
I was just making "light" of the situation.
On a more serious note, I don't think it will become possible for any one to play UHD Blu-ray on unlicensed software.
I will admit though I simply don't understand enough of it to give a valid opinion, it's just a gut feeling.
I did read the WiKi on it and there were a number of words in there that I didn't understand in the explanation; I'm not going to spend a better part of the day trying to understand it, that, and I don't have the patience for it.

I can only hope that James and company can find a "chink" in the armour that can be used to our advantage so we can do what we want with the discs we own.

With that said, having Power DVD 17 available to try and reverse engineer AACS 2.0 and SGX may be of some help, but in the end I believe the DMR keys are locked tightly away in the Kaby Lake Processors.

It would be like being handed 10,000 skeleton keys or more to a cell and being told to find the right one.
There are probably hidden dll. files with in Power DVD 17 that may give a direction to find the keys, but in the end one still has to find the right one.
Remember the movie where the guy built this crude computer to break the "Enigma" code.

A laymen's explanation...

Last edited:
There are other ways but talking about them breaks the forum rules.

I just copied the link from the OP's first post in this thread ;)
I missed that, never even thought to look if the OP had added the patch.
Most OP's wouldn't have added it...

@Adbear
I have no idea what the patch fixes, I didn't bother paying the subscription fee because I know it won't work for UHD.
My system is from 2014 running a fourth generation i7 processor.

Cyberlink allows these versions as some sort of trial _ would seem logical to assume so.
They know that's there's lots of guys like us that they use as Guinea pigs to play around with it before the public release.

I asked this from NVIDIA:

As for now to play UHD Blu-rays on a computer the motherboard and CPU (Kaby Lake) must be SGX (Software Guard Extension) must enabled on these devices. HDMI 2.0 and AACS 2.2 must also be implemented, but that goes with out saying. The problem is that one is forced to use the on-board graphics in the Kaby Lake processor (630) and that's not very good, I would like to use a dedicated video card. What will it take to use a Pascal card to watch UHD Blu-rays ? Does it have to be implemented in the hardware or a driver update. When will this come about ?

Here's their answer:

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

My name is Jeff, and I will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible.

From the description, I understand that while using UHD blue rays you are forced to use on board graphics card.
I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please follow the steps to install the latest driver
Download the latest driver
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115492/en-us
- Once the installer wizard begin, accept the license agreement.
- Select "Custom (Advanced)" install option and then click Next.
- Put a checkmark in the "Perform clean install" option and then click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Restart the computer
Please follow the below steps to see if this helps to fix the issue.
NVIDIA Control Panel -> from the NVIDIA Control Panel, select the "Manage 3D settings" from the left column -> click on the Power management mode drop down box and select "Prefer Maximum Performance". Click over the "Apply" button at the bottom of the panel to apply the changes.

Please take your time and get back to me at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Jeff
NVIDIA Customer Care

It's hard to tell if the guy is just giving a generic answer or if their is actually an update that will allow the use of a dedicated video card ???

It's hard to tell if the guy is just giving a generic answer or if their is actually an update that will allow the use of a dedicated video card ???
I assume you do not have the hardware to try it out?

I'd say it is generic as @Adbear did try his Pascal graphics with no luck - I'm sure he would of had those latest drivers at the time of testing.

That's the problem with customer support from major companies like that. They have no flexibility. If you want real support, you have to ask people online who are not brain-dead zombies.

That's a nonsense answer.
You'll have to play ping-pong with support first.
The purpose of that first generic answer is to weed out the "FAQ"-type questions.
Stay on it and you'll probably get a more educated answer - and one that applies to your question.

Back