• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New hardware... fan question

cartman0208

So I burned my year's bonus on new hardware. Everything but one part was delivered yesterday
upload_2022-8-3_9-52-46.jpeg
The experienced eye will spot immediataly, whats missing.
If you want to want to solve the riddle, don't read further, I will name the missing part below.

So I put all together and tidied up nicely.
Added a pair of extra fans (had some left from another CM AiO) to have some push-pull on the AiO... hopefully that setup won't be to loud, else I need to swap the fans for some Noctuas.
I didn't plug in the Graphicscard yet, as that is really a lump ... need to fix that somewhere on the case.
When I turned it on for the first time, I noticed that some fans were running, and others won't ... just sped up for a second and then stopped.

Is that normal behaviour, if the CPU is missing?
I mean, since the fans that were stopping, were the ones dedicated for the CPU (AIO pump and radiator fans)... it would be reasonable.
It will take another day or two for the CPU to arrive, I'm just anxious the Mainboard could be defective...
Any thoughts?

Dude, that MB is probably all sorts of confused to be booted without a CPU. No telling what the behavior would be in that case. In fact if it were me I would not apply power to the MB without it.

I know ... I was kind of puzzled, when the fans spun up ... from my experience without a CPU the board usually stays quiet ... but it's been some years since in put my last one together :oops:

I know ... I was kind of puzzled, when the fans spun up ... from my experience without a CPU the board usually stays quiet ... but it's been some years since in put my last one together :oops:

As you know there is a ton of logic in MB BIOS now so it probably noticed the missing CPU and behaved in a way it normally would not (fan wise) if there was a CPU. I personally would not worry about it but I would not turn it on again either. But that's just me. But I do build a lot of PC's so take it for what it is worth.

Dude, that MB is probably all sorts of confused to be booted without a CPU. No telling what the behavior would be in that case. In fact if it were me I would not apply power to the MB without it.

Noticed the cpu missing pretty quickly. But to answer your statement about being confused. Well some can, but not very far. The only thing some boards can without a cpu is update the bios. For Asus like that its called "Bios Flashback", and wouldn't you know it. That specific board CAN do that.

It's not like always like that. When you push the power button certain power will always flow through the board, it depends on the board if it will do anything. Yours has a function to update the bios WITHOUT a cpu, so that it can become compatible with the cpu you have if it's not compatible out of the box. And for that, the board needs power to update the bios. Nothing unusual nowadays. The board will be fine.

Thanks, that put my mind to rest.
The next worry is the parcel status in the tracking center:
At parcel delivery centre.
Force majeure.

W T H :eek:

Better safe than sorry :cool:
The PSU is only a quarter of the price of the RTX ... doesn't really matter:D

Better safe than sorry :cool:
The PSU is only a quarter of the price of the RTX ... doesn't really matter:D

It's OK because the 4070 you will need to have a "Mr. Fusion" for :p

It's OK because the 4070 you will need to have a "Mr. Fusion" for :p

already have, cause my 3090 wasn't coming in stock. Got an AX1600i sitting in my closet waiting to be used. Hopefully with a 4090TI :p

Well, even the 3070 has 3 8-pin connectors ... I guess all must be connected :rolleyes:
Just needed one of those for my 1660

make sure it has enough pcie cables. nvidia highly recommends using seperate cables with the 3000 series

make sure it has enough pcie cables. nvidia highly recommends using seperate cables with the 3000 series
Yep, already attached 3 of those fat meshed cables to the PSU

Another thing ... the board has 2 power connectors apart from the ATX power ... I just connected one ... is that sufficient?
The CPU is only i7 (when it eventually arrives)

You'll need to connect at least 1 of the CPU pwer 8 pins (left pin), the 2nd 8pin (right) is for additional cpu power if you plan on overclocking. You didn't mention a specific cpu model so i can't speculate on that.

12700k ... probably the most power-hungry of the i7 because of the base clock of the performance cores and integrated graphics ...
And a bit of overclocking could do :whistle:

Oh well ... guess I'm going to connect the second one, too

12700k ... probably the most power-hungry of the i7 because of the base clock of the performance cores and integrated graphics ...
And a bit of overclocking could do :whistle:

Oh well ... guess I'm going to connect the second one, too
Yeah better add that 2nd 8pin, but don't worry about the iGPU lol. Bios behavior 101 (at least on intel systems): Add a discrete GPU, bios disables the igpu. Not sure if that 240mm is gonna cut it if you use the stock motherboard cpu mounting mechanism. With this new cpu design, testing indicates that the bracket doesn't apply equal pressure among the whole cpu and coolers don't have optimal performance because of it. There are alternatives though

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysb25vsNBQI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYU1OskbY-Q

Using those alternates though, there is a chance you void board warranty, but they have proven to increase cpu cooler performance by as much as a full 7°C

Interesting how the CPU fixation could impact thermal performance.
But I better stay with the stock parts and have the thermal paste do it's wonders ;)

There's a separate mounting kit from CoolerMaster for the 1700 socket (the white box), that feels pretty solid when applied to the board.
And if that 240 performs anything as the 120mm CM I cool my 6800K with, I'm happy.
I know it's an older model, but the TDP is not much of a difference to the 12700K
Couldn't get it over 60° even with 27° environment temperature ... and that's already overclocked (y)

You guys know that if you upgrade to the 3090Ti you need 5 X8pin connectors.

You guys know that if you upgrade to the 3090Ti you need 5 X8pin connectors.

That depends. Take the strix 3090 TI OC edition. Only uses a SINGLE (1) of that new pin connector, either way my AX1600i has plenty of cables. At worst i'll need an adapter for 8pin to that new 16pin one

Back