• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New Burner

I don't know how much you are willing to pay, but the price isn't bad and it has a rebate. This is a Plextor 760-A. I bought one from them.
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/48...gbFShR86g**.node1?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Even with a rebate I still wouldnt buy another Plextor drive, I think there quality has been going down and now with them cutting back production by 90% overseas and for the first time there offering rebates only goes to show that they realise they are in trouble not only sales wise but quality wise. My first 760A drive quit recognising any type of disc after 2 months and the three replacement 760A drives I got from Plextor all had DVD+RW media problems. I know others who had the same problems with DVD+RW media and the 760A and I also know others who had no problems what so ever with DVD+RW media on a 760A. I even went as far as installing all three replacement 760A drives in 4 different pc`s with the same results.

and for the first time there offering rebates

Plextor has offered rebates on all their drives at some point going back to their first burnproof cd-r drive.

My first 760A drive quit recognising any type of disc after 2 months and the three replacement 760A drives I got from Plextor all had DVD+RW media problems. I know others who had the same problems with DVD+RW media and the 760A

While I appreciate you experienced issues, the latest TLAs (which I believe are being sold out now) seem fine. I'm not experiencing any issues with any media.

I would agree, however, that Plextor drive quality is not what it use to be (that said, I still find them to better than average, provided you wait for older tla revisions).

Plextor has offered rebates on all their drives at some point going back to their first burnproof cd-r drive.

While I appreciate you experienced issues, the latest TLAs (which I believe are being sold out now) seem fine. I'm not experiencing any issues with any media.

I would agree, however, that Plextor drive quality is not what it use to be (that said, I still find them to better than average, provided you wait for older tla revisions).

This is the first time I saw a rebate offered on a Plextor drive, if they were offered in the past I wasnt aware of it so on that I`ll take your word for it, as for media problems I only had problems when trying to use DVD+RW media, if the disc had any light scratches it would either not write to it and if it did write to the lightly scratched DVD+RW disc it would make it unreadable, I also had one replacement 760A that would even wreck a brand new DVD+RW disc. The first 760A I had had absolutely no problems with burning to any kind of media for the few months that it did work. The same DVD+RW discs that the 760A wouldnt burn to would burn fine in any other drive I had, so from the experience I had I will never buy another Plextor again.

I had, so from the experience I had I will never buy another Plextor again.

I certainly don't blame you. I doubt Plextor will be making any of its own drives in the near future either.

But the rebates have always been offered.

Hi :)
Just to stir things up. I am not a Lite-On fan. However I do have a Lite-On SHW-16H5S & LH-20A1P.
The 16H5S is an excellent scanner & so so writer.
The 20A1P* however is currently the fastest & most consistant writer I have. Quality being more than exceptable. Surprised therefore to find as a reader/scanner it is ****. (N.B. This is a replacement as the first were total **** 1 didn't write to a full disc, the other unable to read any disc at all.)
If wanting to go for a banker though either the Pioneer 111/112 are excellent. Along with LG H22/42(L/N).
*The f/w issue hasn't been an issue for me at all. I suspect that it's quality control being *** that has resulted in so many problems with this model. It's learned media is suspect too. Making you wonder if there's a problem with the EEPROM. So all in a very mixed result is got from this drive.
N.N.B. I should add that quality wise the Lite-On is still last in quality, but only just. But at least 30 secs quicker than any of my other drives.
A couple of scans:

Last edited:
I suspect that it's quality control being *** that has resulted in so many problems with this model.

N.N.B. I should add that quality wise the Lite-On is still last in quality

Actually, this echoes my thoughts entirely, but, uh, you obviously don't mind facing the wrath of Lite-on fans (so, I think I'll go back to hiding from them . . .) It's easier to post links sometimes and be moderately vague than to face flames. ;)

Back