New Auzentech Prelude X-FI Prelude 7.1 might allow TrueHD & lossless sound over spdif

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by bachuka, Aug 23, 2007.

1. bachuka

bachuka Well-Known Member

For those who said SPDIF does not have enough bandwidth to carry a TrueHD or lossless sound signal, I ask you to check out this claim. The new auzentech prelude x-fi prelude 7.1 should be coming out in 1-2 weeks. Here's what the card claims on their website below. With 25mbps bandwidth over optical...that should be plenty of bandwidth to run all the new sounds from HDDVD and Bluray right?

"Optical / Coaxial COMBO Port
    The SPDIF Output port has 25mbps bandwidth and supports DTS-
    HD/DolbyTrue HD. It is possible to shift between Optical and Coaxial in this port."

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_prelude.php

2. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

3. colinhunt

colinhunt Well-Known Member

Yeah, but good luck finding an A/V receiver that supports new audio codecs and non-standard bitrates over SPDIF. Hint: you won't find one.

4. bachuka

bachuka Well-Known Member

I just bought this receiver so I hope it can handle it. I'm confident it can over HDMI 1.3 but not sure about SPDIF.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR805&class=Receiver&p=i

5. colinhunt

colinhunt Well-Known Member

Of course it can over HDMI; it's designed to do that. It's NOT designed for new audio codecs over SPDIF. No receiver is, and never will be as SPDIF spec does not allow it.

6. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

yeah, but he has the auzentech card which doesn't have a "real" hdmi output. It has dvi, and a special adapter for hdmi. And this special adapter also includes the audio, but it only includes the spdif audio. I didn't mention this before (though I've been thinking about it) because I don't know if it includes normal spdif as per the spdif spec's, or if includes its "special" 25mpbs version of spdif or whatever ... :confused: