• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Netflix SD Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I know RedFox is working on it, they are professionals. I guess what I said was it would have been nice to have an idea on progress being made so it doesn't feel like you're in complete dark.

Say you pay for a flight, it gets cancelled due to things unrelated to the airline like the weather.....your first question is "when is another flight". I know, I know, apples and oranges, may not be the best analogy, but I don't think that asking questions about something you care about is wrong.
I agree with you, but 6 page thread repeating the same stuff is not conducive to a good forum experience. All you and the others were doing was squabbling with each other, that when a thread gets closed when it is of no use to anyone anymore.

Nobody said 1080 wasn't there, it's not being offered to AnyStream due to a drm change. What you refer to as WEB-DL are illegal pirate scene releases and are irrelevant to AnyStream. More often than not those are RECORDED streams (via software of hardware capture device) and the recoded using some version of x264 or x265 one way or another.

May i remind you to read the forum rules again, and for the last time. Stay on topic I'm not going to repeat myself a third time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

AnyStream is pirating also. Circumventing any DRM isn't legal so let's not act like one is any less than the other.

AnyStream is pirating also. Circumventing any DRM isn't legal so let's not act like one is any less than the other.
Circumventing DRM isn't illegal everywhere. :)

YouTube-DL was reinstated on GitHub, since it was proven that it wasn't 'circumventing' YouTube's DRM. It uses the DRM system as designed, and captures the resulting stream into a file rather than displaying it on screen. While against the TOS, it wasn't in contravention of the DMCA. Without knowing for sure how AnyStream functions, the same could be true here.

Perhaps, perhaps not. But you can't compare AnyStream to videos captured and processed in an entirely different way and with entirely different tools.

This whole May 31st thing I keep hearing about sounds more like a Mayan calendar reading than an evidence based prediction.

Reactions: DQ

Pirating is theft. Capturing stuff you PAY to access (for personal use only) is not. Could it be against TOS? Sure, TOS is basically against anything not profit creating. You are mixing morality and legality/TOS and they are NOT at all the same things.

Perhaps, perhaps not. But you can't compare AnyStream to videos captured and processed in an entirely different way and with entirely different tools.

Nobody is recording/capturing from HDMI devices anymore LOL, do you see how fast these new titles are being ripped/uploaded? People have been doing these type of WEB-DL's waaayyy before AnyStream came along, both AnyStream and the other DVDFa....tool uses the same *exact* method. Those days of recording via HDMI devices are LONG gone when you are talking about P2P or Scene rips.

This whole May 31st thing I keep hearing about sounds more like a Mayan calendar reading than an evidence based prediction.

I find it more than interesting the forums are suddenly flooded with doomsayers and negative Nancie's almost all of whom just opened a forum account and speak in broken English. A betting man might even conclude it was the competition.

The monkey's tool is a recorder, not a downloader last time some mentioned it. And you'd be surprise how many still use hardware capture devices. But that's a discussion not meant for this forum and I'd like to keep it that way.

The monkey man updated NF to go through directly, same as Hulu/Amazon/Disney/HBO/Para. Haven't tried the other ones. And of course some people still use hardware for recording (used to be fun tbh). But when you're talking the main releases you see those are not recorded from hardware.

And no need to worry folks, the regularly scheduled program will be back soon, ;). Testing can be a little b--- sometimes.

Indeed it will, some people stressing and crying over some thing that may or may not have any effect at all on Anystream on a specific date that's still 2 weeks away.

Quick search here in Denmark i easily found a bunch that not in 1080p anymore...

The Equalizer
Chaos
Bad Boys 1 & 2
Scarface
Contraband
Think Like a Man
National Security
Blue Streak
Identity Thief
The Green Hornet

I downloaded The Green Hornet last month, it wasn't in HD on Netflix. Only SD.

I remember this, because I wanted it in HD, so I put the Blu Ray in my physical DVD queue as a result.

There are titles on Netflix that are not in HD. But they are generally older, obscure, titles.

Mr. Right,
The Mystery Men

There are a few others that I've stumbled across.

How can you "easily" find them? But it looks like you are correct. Looks like Netflix is switching, too.
There have been some titles on Netflix that are only SD to AnyStream for a while, such as Kick Ass 2, etc. I remember encountering a few where Netflix was SD and Amazon was HD (the catalogues can overlap), and/or Netflix had wasted bitrate on encoding black bars to make all their videos 16:9 and Amazon had encoded the literal aspect ratio of the movie itself (and left the black bars up to the playback devices, which is better practice).

Last edited:
There have been some titles on Netflix that are only SD to AnyStream for a while, such as Kick Ass 2, etc. I remember encountering a few where Netflix was SD and Amazon was HD (the catalogues can overlap), and/or Netflix had wasted bitrate on encoding black bars to make all their videos 16:9 and Amazon had encoded the literal aspect ratio of the movie itself (and left the black bars up to the playback devices, which is better practice).
Generally speaking, black bars aren't going to effect codec efficiency since they require 0 bandwidth to reproduce.

Generally speaking, black bars aren't going to effect codec efficiency since they require 0 bandwidth to reproduce.
Compression artifacts tend to gather around sharp edges, but including bars can also compromise display on some devices. Pillar boxing is the worst, because it forces 4:3 displays to display 4:3 content with thick black borders top, bottom and sides, significantly reducing effective display resolution by having the content as a smaller square in the middle of a larger screen.

Nobody is recording/capturing from HDMI devices anymore LOL, do you see how fast these new titles are being ripped/uploaded? People have been doing these type of WEB-DL's waaayyy before AnyStream came along, both AnyStream and the other DVDFa....tool uses the same *exact* method. Those days of recording via HDMI devices are LONG gone when you are talking about P2P or Scene rips.

They believe they hold the holy grail. lol

Pirating is theft. Capturing stuff you PAY to access (for personal use only) is not. Could it be against TOS? Sure, TOS is basically against anything not profit creating. You are mixing morality and legality/TOS and they are NOT at all the same things.

We will agree to disagree!

Circumventing DRM isn't illegal everywhere. :)

As you were saying?

Circumventing Copyright Controls

You may come across digital works that contain copyright controls, such as digital rights management (DRM) technology or a software copy protection system. As a general matter, you should not circumvent these copyright controls, or you may face civil and criminal penalties under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

The DMCA prohibits circumventing access-control measures. 17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(1). For example, if you cannot watch a particular copyrighted DVD on your laptop because of an encryption system, the DMCA makes it unlawful for you to bypass this access-control measure. Access-control measures may also be found on eBooks, Internet streaming platforms, and password-protected sections of websites, among other things. Note that there is no ban on the act of circumventing copy-control measures, but it is illegal for anyone to provide you with the technological tools to do so. In any event, some copyright holders merge access-control and copy-control measures in the same DRM system, making it impossible to circumvent copy-controls (which is not prohibited) without circumventing access-controls (which is prohibited).

The DMCA also prohibits trafficking in devices or tools that help other people circumvent access-control and copy-control measures. 17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(2), (b). "Trafficking" means making, selling, giving away, or otherwise offering these devices or tools to the public. Beware: you can "traffic" in circumvention tools simply by posting them on your website or linking to other websites that host them. For example, in 1999 a Norwegian teenager created a software program called "DeCSS" that allowed users to circumvent CSS, the encryption technology used by movie studios to stop unlicensed playing and copying of commercially distributed DVDs. A number of websites posted the source and object code for DeCSS on the Internet, and other websites linked to them. The Second Circuit held that hosting and linking to the DeCSS code violated the DMCA's anti-trafficking provisions, and that this application of the DMCA did not violate the First Amendment. See Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Corley, 273 F.3d 429 (2d Cir. 2001). This decision is controversial, and it is not clear that other courts would necessarily follow its reasoning. Nevertheless, it illustrates how risky it is to host or even link to devices or tools that enable others to break access- and copy-controls.

Fair use is not a defense to a prohibited act of circumvention or trafficking. It does not matter that you or someone else has to circumvent DRM in order to make fair use of a copyrighted work. This is one of the reasons that the DMCA is so controversial.

Do I care if we break that law? NO!
Do I care about people downloading content that was taken from disc or streaming platforms? NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back