• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Nero 8 officially released

In the past I have always disabled the NMIndexingService service which is part of Nero 7 w/o any problem. Doing this when running Nero 8 results in the inability to use Nero StartSmart. It crashes. I never make use of this, personally, but I did discover the problem and figured I'd make note of it.

They've got to be freaking kidding me. They expect me to download all of these individual help files (much less install them all) after they conditioned me to download only one with Nero 7. WTH??

Sorry.

I rule when it comes to getting bitter over something not very important. :D

They've got to be freaking kidding me. They expect me to download all of these individual help files (much less install them all) after they conditioned me to download only one with Nero 7. WTH??

Sorry.

I rule when it comes to getting bitter over something not very important. :D

Ummm... yer a guy, right? We don't need no stinkin' help files! ;)

Ummm... yer a guy, right? We don't need no stinkin' help files! ;)

*sigh* My girlfriend isn't a guy though. And she tends to ask questions about software . . . And I'm use to telling her to click "help" :D

Last edited:
*sigh* My girlfriend isn't a guy though. And she tends to ask questions about software . . . And I'm use to telling her to click "help" :D

Wait a little bit. Maybe they'll release it as a one-shot installer. You could always email them and politely demand it. ;)

That said, people who let Nero 8 uninstall Nero 7 check to see what's leftover in the Nero 7 program directory. For whatever reason I was left with a Nero 7 program directory with subfolders containing just shy of 100 MB of files. Now 100 MB really isn't much these days but why are they still there? :doh:

Ah, Webslinger. Would you like me to email the president and ask him if they plan on releasing it as a single download any time soon? :) I've had pretty sweet conversations with him before. He's a nice guy.

Manually uninstall Nero7 "BEFORE" installing 8. Download and run Nero's "Clean Tool". Then your PC will be rid of all remnants of any previous version and assure you of a trouble free install.

While I didn't run the clean tool, I did uninstall and manually clean the registry of Nero 7. Yes, this is a very wise thing to do.

Ok, Webslinger, I sent him an email about it. We'll see what he says. I haven't emailed him since the Nero 6 launch but he was incredibly helpful back then. I really appreciate a company who's president takes the time to respond personally to their customers.

Just got a response. Bad news for Webslinger. It's going to be separate downloads and they don't currently have plans to change that. He's passed along the suggestion to put out a single download but I don't expect they'll do so. Sorry. At least I tried. :)

Manually uninstall Nero7 "BEFORE" installing 8. Download and run Nero's "Clean Tool". Then your PC will be rid of all remnants of any previous version and assure you of a trouble free install.

Knowing full well how long installing or uninstalling Nero takes I just figured I'd let Nero 8 do the uninstalling for me. Yeah, that was a mistake since it left files on my HDD that shouldn't be there. I was a lazy git. I guess I got what I deserve, eh?

While I didn't run the clean tool, I did uninstall and manually clean the registry of Nero 7. Yes, this is a very wise thing to do.

Well, I decided to uninstall Nero 8 so I could wipe the Nero 7 files from my system w/o totally hosing something when I ran the Nero Clean Tool. Unfortunately, when I went to Add/Remove to uninstall Nero 8 I got a lovely error message! In short, Nero 8 didn't want to uninstall. Wow. Freakin' lovely! So... I said screw it and ran the Nero Clean Tool. Well, folks, it supports Nero 8 as well. That's one to remember. So, I ran it and removed Nero 8, then rebooted pointed it to the old Nero 7 directory and told it to wipe that, was given the option of removing Nero 6 license stuff and whatever was left in the registry from that, and heck even Nero SIPPS still have garbage somewhere on my system. The annoying part is that I did run the Nero Clean Tool sometime within the last year to do a clean removal of one of my Nero 7 installs. How come it missed all this stuff then? Hmmm...

Anyway, make sure you have a copy of the newer Nero Clean Tool somewhere handy just in case. :)

Hilarious...I was JUST coming on to report my BS issues with Nero 8. You think the uninstall problem you had is bad? How about Nero completely crashing to the point of rebooting 2 separate machines? I tried it on both to make sure it wasn't an issue with one machine or the other. One is Vista Ultimate the other is MCE 2005. Both show the EXACT same problem. I bring up Nero Home....insta reboot. Whoever beta tested this damn thing did a *SUCKY* job! This is what I've, unfortunately, come to expect from Nero. :( Bloated products that don't work. I'm SERIOUSLY starting to regret this purchase already. That's pretty sad. All I want to do is share some video with my PS3 and 360. That doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

Hilarious...I was JUST coming on to report my BS issues with Nero 8. You think the uninstall problem you had is bad? How about Nero completely crashing to the point of rebooting 2 separate machines? I tried it on both to make sure it wasn't an issue with one machine or the other. One is Vista Ultimate the other is MCE 2005. Both show the EXACT same problem. I bring up Nero Home....insta reboot. Whoever beta tested this damn thing did a *SUCKY* job! This is what I've, unfortunately, come to expect from Nero. :( Bloated products that don't work. I'm SERIOUSLY starting to regret this purchase already. That's pretty sad. All I want to do is share some video with my PS3 and 360. That doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

Now that feature I'd have assumed they've have tested into the ground since it's one of the newer and nice things about Nero 8. Yeah, looks like some bad beta testing and QC unless you have some seriously tweaked systems in which case they can't predict all problems in all situations.

Nonetheless, give them a little time to release updates. So far the Burning ROM, Express, Recode, Vision, and ShowTime have appeared pretty decent to me. I have no use for the Home part yet. I'm sure bugs will be discovered for some time to come.

Now that feature I'd have assumed they've have tested into the ground since it's one of the newer and nice things about Nero 8. Yeah, looks like some bad beta testing and QC unless you have some seriously tweaked systems in which case they can't predict all problems in all situations.

Nonetheless, give them a little time to release updates. So far the Burning ROM, Express, Recode, Vision, and ShowTime have appeared pretty decent to me. I have no use for the Home part yet. I'm sure bugs will be discovered for some time to come.

Bug I can live with. System crashes I can't. And since it's on 2 different systems, you can't blame the crash on any weird system nonsense. I'm running the clean tool right now and will install "typical" but so far, I'm not amused.

Bug I can live with. System crashes I can't. And since it's on 2 different systems, you can't blame the crash on any weird system nonsense. I'm running the clean tool right now and will install "typical" but so far, I'm not amused.

No, I definitely wouldn't be amused. I can't say I'm overly surprised at any bugs that exist, either. System crashes suck and yeah because you are talking different 2 different systems with different OSes that's pretty nasty. :(

I just noticed I received an email at some point from Nero. Apparently people are having problems downloading Nero 8. There's a surprise. They've added mirrors.

I also noted another interesting thing in the email. It says you cannot have Nero 7 and Nero 8 installed concurrently however it doesn't say anything about not being able to have Nero 6 & Nero 8 installed concurrently...

No, I definitely wouldn't be amused. I can't say I'm overly surprised at any bugs that exist, either. System crashes suck and yeah because you are talking different 2 different systems with different OSes that's pretty nasty. :(

I just noticed I received an email at some point from Nero. Apparently people are having problems downloading Nero 8. There's a surprise. They've added mirrors.

I also noted another interesting thing in the email. It says you cannot have Nero 7 and Nero 8 installed concurrently however it doesn't say anything about not being able to have Nero 6 & Nero 8 installed concurrently...

Email...email....oh, yea, right. That thing I've still not received about Nero 8 being available yet. Same exact situation as Nero 6 only they took my advice and implemented a different system rather than relying strictly on email notifications. At least now you can log in and get your serial number. My original conversation with the president of Nero was about this very issue. He put a team of people on it and that's what they came up with. In any case, this latest nonsense is pissing me off. I can get Nero Media Home to work on my laptop, but, on either of my HTPC's it completely crashes. Um, ya think most of my media is, oh, I don't know, probably on my HTPCs?! Grrrrrr. I got Nero Media Home to open up on one of them, but, as soon as it did it BSOD'd the machine. WTF.

Oh FFS. I tracked down this LOVELY bug. (They better be glad I work as a software engineer and know how to track this kind of crap!) It's crashing the driver I use to connect my cable box to the HTPC through firewire. I have this same driver on both machines that are crashing, and it does in fact BSOD in the driver when I open Nero Media Home. YIPPIE. I guess I get to send them a support email and let them know that it completely crashes their product. They'll be thrilled to hear from me I'm sure...

When I open Nero Media Home or Nero Home, my machine crashes with a BSOD in meistb.sys. This driver is used as a firewire capture device to capture video from my Motorola cable box. Note that I'm not trying to do anything with that device when this happens. I'm guessing Nero is trying to enumerate the capture devices on the machine and crashes when it gets to that one. I have tried this on two systems that use that device and one that doesn't. The machine without the capture driver works fine. The two that use this capture driver both BSOD...one is Vista Ultimate the other is MCE2005, so, OS doesn't make a difference. The driver in question can be found here:

http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/firewire/readme.htm

The download for MCE2005:

http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/firewire/firestb.msi

And the download for Vista:

http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/firewire/firestb-vistarc1.msi

If there's any more information you require, please email me. Thanks!

That's the support email I just sent. Hopefully they can fix this and get a patch out as it's COMPLETELY useless to me until they do. I don't even need them to be able to capture from that device...I simply want to be able to open Home and Media Home without the machine rebooting.

Oh FFS. I tracked down this LOVELY bug. (They better be glad I work as a software engineer and know how to track this kind of crap!) It's crashing the driver I use to connect my cable box to the HTPC through firewire. I have this same driver on both machines that are crashing, and it does in fact BSOD in the driver when I open Nero Media Home. YIPPIE. I guess I get to send them a support email and let them know that it completely crashes their product. They'll be thrilled to hear from me I'm sure...
You think they don't want to hear from you? Its people like you that make the product better. People that take the time to actually tell them what is wrong. I am sure their R&D people will take your request seriously. They just have to be able to duplicate it.:agree:

You think they don't want to hear from you? Its people like you that make the product better. People that take the time to actually tell them what is wrong. I am sure their R&D people will take your request seriously. They just have to be able to duplicate it.:agree:

Duplicating it won't be a problem considering the detail I sent them. They just need to install the driver. They don't even need to connect it to anything. As long as it's loaded the damn thing will crash. I can understand having a device not be supported, but, seriously, a freaking BSOD? None of their beta testers had this driver installed??? I realize it's not the most common thing out there, but, one would think SOMEONE would have encountered it in the extremely lengthy beta they appear to have gone through. Anyway, I'm hoping it'll get fixed for the next release. It sucks, though, as I was hoping to use it to stream video to my PS3 in HD. That would have been quite nice.

Back