• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Nero 8.2.8.0

They pulled that deal from the site about 24 hours after it went up. I'm currently running the RC SP1 on it and my laptop and it definitely seemed to help stability. Definitely did NOT help performance though.

... I keep my HTPC clean of all crap like codecs and stuff that aren't necessary for what I watch. The only codec that's loaded on it is DivX. ...

You are running Vista, right? What codec do you use (or rather your player uses) to play .avi files with ac3 audio? When I was using XP, PowerDVD's audio decoder always worked perfectly in that role. But it does not seem to work in Vista... So for now I also install WinDVD BD for VAIO (which is free since I own Sony laptop) mainly because its audio decoder installs as DirectShow filter just fine. So do you by chance know is there any chance to fix PowerDVD's audio decoder in Vista? I use WMP to play all standalone media files by the way. I use PowerDVD to play DVDs and Blu-rays with menus etc.

Thanks.

That is the ONE issue that irritates me with the setup. I have to use AC3 Decoder to get AC3 audio.

(And yes, I did forget that one when I said I only have divx installed...I do have this codec for audio.)

Last edited:
That is the ONE issue that irritates me with the setup. I have to use AC3 Decoder to get AC3 audio.

(And yes, I did forget that one when I said I only have divx installed...I do have this codec for audio.)

OK. Thanks. I just thought maybe you know the secret how to make PowerDVD work the same way as it works in XP... I'll probably continue to use WinDVD BD for ac3 audio as having an alternative DVD/Blu-ray player can also be useful for some testing.

As to me, in addition to PowerDVD Ultra, WinDVD BD and DivX, I also install VobSub 2.23 for external subtitles and Haali Media Splitter. The latter one I discovered just several days ago and found it great. The only issue with it was that VobSub was not loaded for some reason (so, no subtitles) when Haali was used as default spllitter for .avi files. But I could finally select audio track in .avi files which have many of them. As to .m2ts, .ts and .tp files (Digital TV recordings for example), it worked perfectly with them. It also apparently works (and even was primarily designed for) "matroska" files, but I'm not really familiar with them (never had any such file yet).

Last edited:
MKV's are pretty sweet. It's just another container format. As for PowerDVD, no, I haven't figured out a way to make the audio codecs work for anything else other than PowerDVD. I had to install AC3 Decoder simply so that DivX Converter would stop b!tching about my HD MPEG2 cable box captures. I capture them via firewire into a TS and then use VideoReDo to strip the commercials and write it out as an MPEG2. My hope now is to be able to burn that to a mini HD DVD. That'd rock. Also, Nero 8 is very fussy about letting anyone else use its codecs, as well. Nero 7 apparently didn't have this issue.

When I was trying to find the solution for PowerDVD audio decoder on the Internet, I saw some comment somewhere that this was a licensing issue: like Dolby wants so that AC3 decoders can only be used by programs for which they are licensed. I have no idea, whether this is true or not. I think if it was the case, PowerDVD's audio decoder could not be used by WMP in XP as well. I think it is rather just a bug in PowerDVD.

That seems like nonsense. How is it that the freeware AC3 Decoder could be released if there are licensing issues? I can see encoding, certainly...

nero 8.2.8.0 can't burn hd-dvd evo files from original hd-dvd movies or?
i don't see that there's an option to add evo files to a dvd-r/dl.. :-(

Back