• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Need for Graphics Card

Just waiting on ram and gpu now, saving cash to finalise airbrush and then I can start building. But everything I have, I've already opened and taken a look at. Pictures only do so much, they don't compare to handling the real thing. The 'armor' on that motherboard is damn impressive. Almost a tank lol.

cant see a power supply. do you intend to overclock? Dont think so, cause the main board you're using isnt ideal for overclocking. if not, you don't need the 6700k. You're also using the wrong harddrive type. The one you've inserted is specifically directed towards the NAS section and its using the outdated SATA III not SATA 6and significantly more expensive. Here's an improved list.

changes:

replaced cpu with non-overclocked version -50$
upgraded ram frequency: +20$ (still save $30)
swapped HDD to correct version
swapped SSD (the real world performance between pro and evo is neglible and it saves you $100, which could be pointed towards additional ram or a dedidated lower class GPU)
the case is a different one cause i couldn't find it in the product list)

Parts list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/c8sYJV

i don't know the full price of yours but this one should be considerably cheaper at approx $1500 AUD
I know I'm coming in to this late in the day, but I have to ask why you recommend some of these changes?
The 6700K isn't just for overclocking, it runs at 0.6GHz faster than the 6700 and for the price difference is a good deal for that extra speed even if you don't want to overclock.

Not sure why you think the NAS version of the drive is worse than the one you recommend. They are essentially the same drive except the NAS version has extra features on it. they should both run at the same speed as they are both 7200RPM SATA III drives (6Gb/s)

If it were me I wouldn't bother with the faster RAM. In real world situations your not going to notice the difference and we've found that the higher end speeds tend to be less stable, causing crashes and corruption on rendered video files.

I agree that if using the SSD just for Windows or transferring between the primary drive and the hard drive the speed difference is negligible as the 4TB hard drive is going to be the limiting factor on any file transfers, but the SSD drive you changed to isn't even the same category as the original M.2 he listed. The one you recommend is an SSD running on SATA III (6Gb/s) and has maximum speeds of around 540MB/s Read, 520MB/s Write. The one he was originally looking at is an M.2 with read speeds of 2500MB/s and write speeds of 1500MB/s. Now he may not need that extra speed, but it's not a negligible speed difference between the 2 drives, only in how they are used in this case.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2829999/6700-6700k.html

I'll use the same reasoning, you won't notice the initial small increase in real world scenarios, the cpu is already overkill for what he's going to do why the system. Nas drive: Extra features you don't need in a desktop system unless absolutely needed and you're going to keep the system up weeks at a time. Nas drives are designed with Nas boxes in mind or data centers. Ssd sure it's faster but it's a lot more expensive and as you say the normal hdd will already be a bottleneck. I just made the changes based on his usage for the new system.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, and I see no point to the link you gave as it doesn't really say anything

This i what i'm playing with now .OS: Windows 10 Pro X64 : Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79. CPU: Intel i7 3930K. CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i. RAM: (4X4GB) 16GB Corsair GT Dominator @ 2133Mhz. PSU: Corsair AX-1200i. GPU: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 780ti. Monitors: 3X Samsung BX2450 LED (2D Surround) OS HDD: SSD Intel 520s 240gig. Optical Drive 1: Lite-On BD iHBS212 2. Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR. Speakers: Logitech Z5500 all in a Coolermaster Cosmos 2 case, and i'm just about to start to build another and just working out some parts but i usually spend about 5k.

I just got done a new build using "last years news" early this year.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero (Z97) ($125 Ebay)
Intel i7 4790K ($310 Ebay)
16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 C8 (4x4 sticks is cheaper than 2x8 sticks) ($80 Ebay)
Nvidia GTX 950 (EVGA 2gb card) ($150 Newegg on Ebay)
Corsair 1200W supply ($80 Ebay) (overkill but too good a deal)
SATA 3 spinners left overs) (Free!) (weakest link)
Corsair Spec 01 Case ($50 Ebay)
5 Rocketfish BB fans ($5.55 ea Ebay)
Windows 10 Pro (Free)

Then I did a 2nd one for my wife - almost same specs. (C10 memory, Nvidia 750ti, 850w supply)
Then I FOUR MORE using cheap Celerons, 8gb C10, on board graphics, (using my old cases) for: HTPC, Shop, Network Cloud, Karaoke gigging
All told that's six VII Hero's built since December. (All on Windows 10 - all trouble free.)
Network ID's Gigantic, Romantic, Mechanic, Music, Nordic, and Medic
(Then I got a new i5 ASUS Laptop (8gb / Intel graphics) "Nomadic II" to replace an OLD P4 laptop. - $175 Ebay!)

My big one runs Star Citizen (CRY Engine graphics) wide open with no graphics hiccups)
Wife's can also run SC fine. The 4 "little guys" do their little jobs easily. I'm on one now at work.

Also I got "shit lucky". My "old fleet" was built with top end ASUS P4 (hyper-threading) mobo's.
Same exact mobo was also used (about a dozen years ago) in high-end medical imaging equipment.
I actually sold those for more than the used ASUS VII Hero's cost me! Defraying a lot of the costs.

-W

Update 1 on buildlog

Code:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1603194/project-phoenix

Update 1 on buildlog

Code:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1603194/project-phoenix

Yeah that rig will crank along pretty sweet, i put my H100i in a push/pull config with noctua fans also after i installed win 7 and did all updates than the free win 10 upgrade, after the activation i did another format and installed win 10 from disc but you can use a usb drive aswell, i installed windows with ram at stock speed, than just used XMP settings for the overclocks and timings, than after all updates again and feeling that it felt stable i updated the bios.

Those interested, project Phoenix has been assembled (minus the gtx 1080, on preorder). Pics to follow, right now i got a few terabytes to copy and install from old system onto new.

So, my new rig setup is hardware wise complete, minus the GTX 1080 that's on pre-order and hasn't arrived yet.

Setup for "Project: Phoenix"

Chassis: Cooler Master Cosmos II (custom Airbrush)
PSU: Corsair 860 AXi
CPU: Core i7 6700k (currently at stock speeds, will likely be overclocked)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 (on pre-order)
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Formula
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (v1, boot)
HDD1: HGST 7k4000 4TB
HDD2: Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (2TB, storage)
HDD3: Samsung Spinpoint F1 (1TB, Temp drive)
HDD4: Seagate ST31000520AS (OS Backups drive, 5900rpm, pulled out of an external enclosure)
ODD1: LG BH16NS40
ODD2: LG BH10NS30
ODD3: LG DVDRAM GH20NS10
RAM: Corsair Dominator platinum 16GB ROG edition (currently at stock speeds, XMP to follow)
Sound1: Surround Logitech Z-906 (will be pulled out of storage)
Sound2: Corsair Void Wireless SE (yellow jacket)
Controller: Microsoft Xbox One Elite wireless controller (wireless transmitter on order)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Extra1: NZXT IU01 (internal USB hub, 3x header + 2x full size port to hook up all the USB stuff)
Extra2: 5TB (i think) across 3 external drives **

Processing times: Old rig ran between 3-6hrs depending on the size of the disc with BDRB and 2-4 with CloneBD, new rig: 40GB > BD25 in just over an hour with BDRB and half an hour with CLBD in full disc mode.

Try that one on for size. Should last me another 10+ years hopefully like the old rig smile.gif

So, my new rig setup is hardware wise complete, minus the GTX 1080 that's on pre-order and hasn't arrived yet.

Setup for "Project: Phoenix"

Chassis: Cooler Master Cosmos II (custom Airbrush)
PSU: Corsair 860 AXi
CPU: Core i7 6700k (currently at stock speeds, will likely be overclocked)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 (on pre-order)
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Formula
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (v1, boot)
HDD1: HGST 7k4000 4TB
HDD2: Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (2TB, storage)
HDD3: Samsung Spinpoint F1 (1TB, Temp drive)
HDD4: Seagate ST31000520AS (OS Backups drive, 5900rpm, pulled out of an external enclosure)
ODD1: LG BH16NS40
ODD2: LG BH10NS30
ODD3: LG DVDRAM GH20NS10
RAM: Corsair Dominator platinum 16GB ROG edition (currently at stock speeds, XMP to follow)
Sound1: Surround Logitech Z-906 (will be pulled out of storage)
Sound2: Corsair Void Wireless SE (yellow jacket)
Controller: Microsoft Xbox One Elite wireless controller (wireless transmitter on order)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Extra1: NZXT IU01 (internal USB hub, 3x header + 2x full size port to hook up all the USB stuff)
Extra2: 5TB (i think) across 3 external drives **

Processing times: Old rig ran between 3-6hrs depending on the size of the disc with BDRB and 2-4 with CloneBD, new rig: 40GB > BD25 in just over an hour with BDRB and half an hour with CLBD in full disc mode.

Try that one on for size. Should last me another 10+ years hopefully like the old rig
smile.gif
Congratulations! Are the processing times expected times or are they the times you are already achieving.

ASUS Maximus Extreme VIII
i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz
64 GB G.Skill DDR4-2133
2x Asus GTX1080 FE in SLI
CoolerMaster HAF X Case
512GB Samsung 951 M.2
2x WD NAS 4TB
2x LG WH16NS40 (svc. ns55)
2x Liteon iHES312
ASUS Essence STX II
Belkin/Razer n52te Speed Pad
Razer DeathAdder
Synology 1513+: 2x WD 6TB NAS (red), 3x WD 4TB NAS (red)

4K gaming while hardware accelerated encoding my backups, life is good.

Times I'm already achieving at stock speeds. When ram and cpu get oc'ed that'll probably improve even more. Not bad, full disc clone in 30min's vs 3+ hours.

Back