• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Need for Graphics Card

Well thank you very much Ch3vr0n and all the others who made comment. Particularly appreciate the savings you made Ch3vr0n. I omitted to mention streaming which I presume means watching live tv and programs direct from the internet without downloading. I do quite a bit of that; does this affect your recommendations. Thanks again for your time and interest.
Regarding a GPU. You can always buy one later, if strapped for Cash now.

Streaming is more of a cpu/browser intensive thing. What's the financial savings you made between the 2 systems? Perhaps I can find a dedicated gpu for the difference. Then you'd have an optimized hardware system and a dedicated gpu ;-) . I hope I was right about you having intention of overclocking. One thing you can always do is change the hard drive back to Nas version. If you say the difference I'll be happy to modify that parts list again ;-)

Last edited:
Planned upgrades: another 4TB HDD and 2x 2TB for Raid 1 OS drive backups in the cosmos II's hotswap bays, perhaps even eventually a 2nd 1080 or upgrade to a 1080Ti

Everything (what i have and ordered: € 3700

http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/tR3CJV

usage: heavy gaming, video encoding (h/x-264), dvd/bd encoding / burning. It'll get the crap used out of it ^^

Nice setup. You'll be pleased with the Cooler Master Cosmos II tower, IMO. Having owned one for awhile I love it. The only downside is the size and weight.

Thanks, i hope it'll last me as long as this build did (though i did swap out a HDD over the years) doesn't weigh a lot more than my current case ^^ Thermaltake Xaser VI. Absolutely love the case. I don't mind cases having some weight to them, but the handles on the Cosmos II definitely make it easy to handle. I always go for full steel/aluminium cases for sturdiness, they needed to be for when i went to lan parties and hope to some day return to them. Besides, if you accidentaly kick the case a little when rotating your desk chair it won't do any harm.

Here's a little teaser of the casemod ^^

Attachments

• Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 21
Thanks, i hope it'll last me as long as this build did (though i did swap out a HDD over the years) doesn't weigh a lot more than my current case ^^ Thermaltake Xaser VI. Absolutely love the case. I don't mind cases having some weight to them, but the handles on the Cosmos II definitely make it easy to handle. I always go for full steel/aluminium cases for sturdiness, they needed to be for when i went to lan parties and hope to some day return to them. Besides, if you accidentaly kick the case a little when rotating your desk chair it won't do any harm.

Here's a little teaser of the casemod ^^

I've never tested just how much the handles can take. To make my life easier I actually have the bottom rails on furniture movers at the four corners. When the system needs to be moved to be worked on or whatever I just use the top handles to guide and push. Makes life far simpler. ;) I also improved the dust filtering which was rudimentary. Considering the number of fans it can pull in a lot but it's also surprisingly quiet.

oh i'll be maxing out the fanspace alright, wanna create a positive air pressure inside so dust stays out. Also thinking about getting sound cancellation mats :)

Streaming is more of a cpu/browser intensive thing. What's the financial savings you made between the 2 systems? Perhaps I can find a dedicated gpu for the difference. Then you'd have an optimized hardware system and a dedicated gpu ;-) . I hope I was right about you having intention of overclocking. One thing you can always do is change the hard drive back to Nas version. If you say the difference I'll be happy to modify that parts list again ;-)

Hi Ch3vr0n the recommended PS is a Corsair 650 watts A-PW-COR-CP-9020091-AU. Your suggestions represent a saving of $1,000.00 au excluding labor costs.

That PSU is more than capable to handle the current suggested savings if I'm right that you have no overclocking in mind. If the system will really be up for very long hours at a time it could be worth changing the hdd back to a NAS version. Now it's up to you, you want me to check for a dedicated gpu (those are more powerful when it comes to Blu-ray watching as it takes the load of the cpu). If so, how much of those $1000AUD are you willing to allocate. System assembly by a skilled person including os installation shouldn't take more than 2-3h, I don't know how much your place charges by the hour. Or what the assembly price was, couldn't see it in the image.

That PSU is more than capable to handle the current suggested savings if I'm right that you have no overclocking in mind. If the system will really be up for very long hours at a time it could be worth changing the hdd back to a NAS version. Now it's up to you, you want me to check for a dedicated gpu (those are more powerful when it comes to Blu-ray watching as it takes the load of the cpu). If so, how much of those $1000AUD are you willing to allocate. System assembly by a skilled person including os installation shouldn't take more than 2-3h, I don't know how much your place charges by the hour. Or what the assembly price was, couldn't see it in the image.
sorry about not clarifying the overclocking issue I do not have overclocking in mind. Regarding the amount to be allocated for a dedicated graphics card I would be prepared to set aside $500.00 but I will accept whatever you consider appropriate for my needs. Don't worry about the assembly costs.

Below is the modified build with a dedicated GPU: The Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB factory overclocked A$ 465, the 980 (A$ 650-825) and 980TI (870-1100) are above your allotted A$500. But since you dont have heavy gaming in mind the 970 is more than powerful enough. Last years model. In fact the 970's power was the reason the 980 sold so little.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/YWFsYr

If you rather prefer an AMD graphics card check this list (R9 390X factory overclocked), but going by your Intel CPU i'd say you're not :)

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/qKvjXH

If you do happen to install some modern games, either GPU will be plenty capable to handle them at ultray or very high. If i'm right either build should save you about A$ 500 between what you chose :)

If there's anything else, just give a holler

Below is the modified build with a dedicated GPU: The Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB factory overclocked A$ 465, the 980 (A$ 650-825) and 980TI (870-1100) are above your allotted A$500. But since you dont have heavy gaming in mind the 970 is more than powerful enough. Last years model. In fact the 970's power was the reason the 980 sold so little.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/YWFsYr

If you rather prefer an AMD graphics card check this list (R9 390X factory overclocked), but going by your Intel CPU i'd say you're not :)

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/qKvjXH

If you do happen to install some modern games, either GPU will be plenty capable to handle them at ultray or very high. If i'm right either build should save you about A$ 500 between what you chose :)

If there's anything else, just give a holler
I am indebted to you Thank you very much for your assistance.

Glad I could be of service! As far as the debt, I wish I could collect but you literally live on there other side of the world. Through donations are always welcome ;-)

For those interested, the first round of my parts has arrived :) everything but the ram and GPU

For those interested, the first round of my parts has arrived :) everything but the ram and GPU
I will be most interested to read your report on how the new computer compares with old computer.

it'll blow that thing out of the water. The ssd alone will do that :D. Then there's the cpu

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q9550-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K/m334vs3502

158% speed gain, that'll do it :D

I'll note that when I moved to Windows 10 I moved from from HDD to a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO for my boot drive. That single change made an enormous difference and I'm not even making full use of the speed due to the age of the motherboard. Boot time is exponentially quicker for obvious reasons. I could never move back to a HDD boot drive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's one bottleneck i won't have with my motherboard :D. As soon as the case comes back from paint i'll start my build logs on several sites and post the link to one of them here :)

That's one bottleneck i won't have with my motherboard :D. As soon as the case comes back from paint i'll start my build logs on several sites and post the link to one of them here :)
Hopefully I can begin my upgrade soon. Every time I am about to something far more important comes up and the money gets diverted.

Unfortunately, I'm reaching the end of the line on gaming with my current system. My GTX 780 is fine but, as you know, the Core2 is now not even close to minimum specs on any decent newer games. Yes, I can play most that I've tried but I have to lower the settings significantly which sucks.

You'll greatly enjoy that new system. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

yup, i hope this new rig will last me as long as this one has. This one isnt going anywhere either. Will probably get reused as a HTPC plex server :)

yup, i hope this new rig will last me as long as this one has. This one isnt going anywhere either. Will probably get reused as a HTPC plex server :)

Please let us know if your expectations are met. Certainly hope they are.

Back