• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Need for Graphics Card

antipodes

I have discovered that some of the major components of my computer are incompatible with Windows 10 accordingly I am arranging to have a new computer built. The technician advised me that if I am not playing games on the computer I will not need a graphics card; is this correct? The other issues are should I opt for water cooling or fan cooling and what do people think about the Pioneer 209 Blu-ray reader/writer is there anything better?

If you have no plans of gaming then you do not need a dedicated graphics card no, modern cpu's have a built in Intel hd graphics chip in them. More than sufficient for basic tasks and even light gaming. Cooling is a different matter. What will the system be used for, what's the hardware setup you've got in mind? Pioneer, can't say I've ever used them. I like LG's better. I'm pretty skilled in the hardware component picking list. Just ordered parts for my new rig.

I currently use a Pioneer 205 and two Pioneer 209s (2209 with BDXL support). I've been more than pleased with the Pioneer drives.

While things have gotten better these days I would avoid liquid cooling unless you really push a system.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I didn't have the funds for a full custom loop, but what I'm going to do with the rig I opted for an AIO liquid cooler. The corsair h100i, affordable and excellent performance.

@antipodes if you say your budget, location and intended use for the system I'd be happy to pick some parts.

new computer.jpg
I didn't have the funds for a full custom loop, but what I'm going to do with the rig I opted for an AIO liquid cooler. The corsair h100i, affordable and excellent performance.

@antipodes if you say your budget, location and intended use for the system I'd be happy to pick some parts.

Thanks DrinkLyeAndDie and Ch3vr0n
@Ch3vr0n I would like the benefit of your advice and take you up on your offer. My location is Melbourne Australia, budget is AUD3,500.00 maximum
usage: recording Blu-rays and DVDs, emails, Internet browsing,Skype and watching TV shows et cetera. I am attaching a screen shot of a proposed list of parts. By the way I usually use the computer for long hours daily.

cant see a power supply. do you intend to overclock? Dont think so, cause the main board you're using isnt ideal for overclocking. if not, you don't need the 6700k. You're also using the wrong harddrive type. The one you've inserted is specifically directed towards the NAS section and its using the outdated SATA III not SATA 6and significantly more expensive. Here's an improved list.

changes:

replaced cpu with non-overclocked version -50$
upgraded ram frequency: +20$ (still save $30)
swapped HDD to correct version
swapped SSD (the real world performance between pro and evo is neglible and it saves you $100, which could be pointed towards additional ram or a dedidated lower class GPU)
the case is a different one cause i couldn't find it in the product list)

Parts list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/c8sYJV

i don't know the full price of yours but this one should be considerably cheaper at approx $1500 AUD

Ch3vr0n.... You mind posting some screen shots of your setup. Just recorded my new build in third party forums. I run old hardware but bought good stuff.

You're also using the wrong harddrive type. The one you've inserted is specifically directed towards the NAS section and its using the outdated SATA III not SATA 6and significantly more expensive.

Just a note - SATA III is 6.0Gb/s.
Depending on price it may be worthwhile to stick with the NAS drive, especially if the PC is going to be running for long hours.
I don't know about Hitachi but NAS drives tend to have longer warranties, I've had so many HDDs fail a month outside of warranty :mad:
Try and get the longest warranty you can because it will fail at some point and the $15 RMA cost is better than buying again ;)

Ch3vr0n, did you get your new PC yet? :cool:

I currently use a Pioneer 205 and two Pioneer 209s (2209 with BDXL support). I've been more than pleased with the Pioneer drives.

While things have gotten better these days I would avoid liquid cooling unless you really push a system.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I'm using a 209 as well, had some trouble with an LG drive where it wouldn't burn to certain makes of blanks and would even have trouble reading some discs for ripping, the Pioneer has been flawless in both read and write functions.

Just built a new machine also and installed an SSD as the OS/boot drive, wow, I had no idea these drives were that fast, I'll never use a mechanical for OS drive again! :)

true @ddjmagic , but there's no point in having 6G ports in your motherboard if you're going to use SATAIII drives. Especially in the case of NAS drives. They're designed for high speed performance (in case of streaming) and then you need the extra sata bandwith.

@gereral1 my list? sure: knock yourself out: http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/vjD3Cy. Did i get it yet, no. Ram is supposed to arrive at the shop on friday. Then they'll ship everything out but the GPU. Asus hasn't released a release date yet for that one.

NOTES: SSD, HDD, headset, keyboard, case already in possession. ODD's will be re-used from current system.
ordered a while ago: Speakers
Parts ordered: CPU, CPU cooler, MB, RAM, GPU & PSU
planned orderd: mouse
Planned upgrades: another 4TB HDD and 2x 2TB for Raid 1 OS drive backups in the cosmos II's hotswap bays, perhaps even eventually a 2nd 1080 or upgrade to a 1080Ti

Everything (what i have and ordered: € 3700

http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/tR3CJV

usage: heavy gaming, video encoding (h/x-264), dvd/bd encoding / burning. It'll get the crap used out of it ^^

Last edited:
true @ddjmagic , but there's no point in having 6G ports in your motherboard if you're going to use SATAIII drives. Especially in the case of NAS drives. They're designed for high speed performance (in case of streaming) and then you need the extra sata bandwith.

@gereral1 my list? sure: knock yourself out: http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/vjD3Cy. Did i get it yet, no. Ram is supposed to arrive at the shop on friday. Then they'll ship everything out but the GPU. Asus hasn't released a release date yet for that one.

NOTES: SSD, HDD, headset, keyboard, case already in possession. ODD's will be re-used from current system.
ordered a while ago: Speakers
Parts ordered: CPU, CPU cooler, MB, RAM, GPU & PSU
planned orderd: mouse
Planned upgrades: another 4TB HDD and 2x 2TB for Raid 1 OS drive backups in the cosmos II's hotswap bays, perhaps even eventually a 2nd 1080 or upgrade to a 1080Ti

Everything (what i have and ordered: € 3700

http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/tR3CJV

usage: heavy gaming, video encoding (h/x-264), dvd/bd encoding / burning. It'll get the crap used out of it ^^
Nice hardware. You will be set for 8 years with that build. I usually upgrade every 8 years.

Thanks. That's the plan, current rig (see sig) is 10+ years old. Dates back to the early vista days. Another hopefully planned upgrade is a full custom liquid cooling loop.

I have discovered that some of the major components of my computer are incompatible with Windows 10 accordingly I am arranging to have a new computer built. The technician advised me that if I am not playing games on the computer I will not need a graphics card; is this correct? The other issues are should I opt for water cooling or fan cooling and what do people think about the Pioneer 209 Blu-ray reader/writer is there anything better?
You need a graphics card to have a display-if this is a on-board graphics then a separate graphics card isn't needed if no gamer but if your board has no graphics on-board then you will need a graphics card. But for your board having a GPU is better then none or on-board so your technician isn't thinking right game or not having a GPU to replace you on-board is better. I myself game or not would get a separate GPU have better graphics output and less strain on your system.

The 6700(k) has a built in gpu as I stated earlier. For the planned use see post 5, he doesn't need an dedicated gpu.

The 6700(k) has a built in gpu as I stated earlier. For the planned use see post 5, he doesn't need an dedicated gpu.
I got a built in for my i5-4690K but I prefer a Dedicate GPU for better overall system performance.

That I won't deny, a dedicated gpu will always outperform a built in one. But going buy op's intended use for the system be doesn't need one. The built in one can pay Blu-ray just fine.

That I won't deny, a dedicated gpu will always outperform a built in one. But going buy op's intended use for the system be doesn't need one. The built in one can pay Blu-ray just fine.
That is true and hope that is all but eventually they will have a itch to play games and get a surprise. That does happen it's a matter of when it will happen. But then again that is their choice to decide now. But GPU midrange are not that expensive if they want to consider.

Well I posted a modified parts list, now it's up to @antipodes to let us know if there's any room left in the budget compared to his original list

Well I posted a modified parts list, now it's up to @antipodes to let us know if there's any room left in the budget compared to his original list
Well thank you very much Ch3vr0n and all the others who made comment. Particularly appreciate the savings you made Ch3vr0n. I omitted to mention streaming which I presume means watching live tv and programs direct from the internet without downloading. I do quite a bit of that; does this affect your recommendations. Thanks again for your time and interest.

Back