• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

My thoughts on the evolution of Slysoft/RedFox

I don't have a problem with the New Regime invalidating prior agreements. The same thing happens during bankruptcies, and the like, all the time. And, just as frequently, it's the same people that are the ones picking up the pieces and moving forward whatever new company emerges from those bankruptcies. So, this is not a particularly egregious move on RedFox's part. In fact, I support their right to do what they have done (well, in spirit, anyway... I pretty much used AnyDVD HD only to make ISOs of my DVD collection, and a few HD DVDs that I had. I don't want to devote the disk space to making copies of my BDs. And Ultraviolet will probably satisfy my needs for streaming content that I own. So, I may, or may not, repurchase my own LtL of the product. I haven't made up my mind yet. But the idea of repurchasing it doesn't phase me. I just wanted to be clear on that.)

What I don't understand, however, is this idea that "code don't pay the bills..." Of course "code pays the bills", otherwise no on would be working on this product. The fact is that the New Regime was gifted the Intellectual Property (anydvd) whose development was paid for by all previous licensees (lifetime, or whatever). Yes, I have seen the explanation that this was in lieu of back pay. However, turning over IP which took years to develop is a much bigger deal than simply making up some back pay...

So, in my opinion, it is simply wrong to suggest that the New Regime has not directly benefited from those prior agreements that they have nullified. After all, what now resides between their ears got there because SlySoft licensees paid to put it there...

I'm just sayin'

Yes they got the IP, but you can't make the initial hardware investments with it (servers etc), give the staff the back pay they were owed... so unless they issued new licenses, even with the IP signed over, they'd still have no income. No income : no development. No development: anydvd effectively dead in the water. The fact that they were gifted the IP isn't true. They weren't gifted anything, it was that or nothing. The former CEO didn't want to pay the back wages.

A simple Google search will show why Slysoft became RedFox.
Would you please provide a link ?
The Slysoft staff doesn't think it's neccessary to tell the whole story.
I've already linked an article providing the most details i've found so far: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/what-a-misunderstanding.69464/page-3#post-439963
But unfortunately no comment from the staff.

Also it bothers me a little bit that they still don't think it would have been a good idea to change their homeport after the first trial - just because they felt to be in the right ...and to save Mr. Bettini's honestly earned pennys:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/just-makes-me.68781/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they got the IP, but you can't make the initial hardware investments with it (servers etc), give the staff the back pay they were owed... so unless they issued new licenses, even with the IP signed over, they'd still have no income. No income : no development. No development: anydvd effectively dead in the water. The fact that they were gifted the IP isn't true. They weren't gifted anything, it was that or nothing. The former CEO didn't want to pay the back wages.
Agree and to point out people only see the end product not the investment needed as Ch3vr0n stated. If they really saw that they would have real understanding of what it takes $$$ doesn't grow on tree.

Would you please provide a link ?
The Slysoft staff doesn't think it's neccessary to tell the whole story.
I've already linked an article providing the most details i've found so far: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/what-a-misunderstanding.69464/page-3#post-439963
But unfortunately no comment from the staff.

Also it bothers me a little bit that they still don't think it would have been a good idea to change their homeport after the first trial - just because they felt to be in the right ...and to save Mr. Bettini's honestly earned pennys:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/just-makes-me.68781/

Here you go:

Here and here - warning: this last one's locked, but has 23 pages on the topic.

Have you put my quoted excerpt in an online translator ?
There are some more details - which btw. have been confirmed by another "usually well informed" source.

There are some more details - which btw. have been confirmed by another "usually well informed" source.
I have translated your link. It is interesting though. I don't know if I should post it here. If anyone's interested, use the Google "German to English" translation of Loonier's German link.

Maybe a mod can find out or even confirm if that article is correct. RedFox 1 ? Ch3vr0n ? Any0ne ?

Hi, your quotes or links don't seem to be in this thread any longer, or am I missing seeing them?
Has a Mod been 'over aggressive' here?

Can you please repost it, if it's not here anymore?
(The German article you originally linked to)

Follow the first link in post #24.
Hi, Loonier, thanks for the article.
I'm sort of feeling bad for Mr. Bettini.
All he went thru to keep the company going, and all it cost him.
I hope he's OK, even though some of his old staff may not ...:)
He did keep them happy and paid, while in charge years past, and never allowed disrespect to his customers.

I've heard some tall-tails from others in private chats, and even if true ;) he was always respectful to me...and that's my only real way to judge him.

From Post 24's link

Another (german) article with some more "details": http://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2016-9-Hintergruende-zum-Ende-von-SlySoft-3169841.html

Nach c’t vorliegenden Informationen ist selbst den Entwicklern nicht klar, was der wirkliche Auslöser für die SlySoft-Schließung war. Anders als vermutet soll nicht ein Brief der für den Blu-ray-Kopierschutz verantwortlichen AACS LA an die US International Trade Commission dazu geführt haben. Darin hatte die AACS LA im Zuge der Einführung der Ultra HD Blu-ray gebeten, Antigua & Barbuda auf die Copyright Priority Watch List zu setzen.

Stattdessen soll das US Department of Justice direkten Druck auf die antiguanische Regierung und Banken ausgeübt haben, die komplett abhängig von den USA seien. Demnach stand ein Verbot im Raum, das amerikanischen Geldinstituten untersagen sollte, als Korrespondenzbanken für die antiguanischen Banken zu fungieren. Letzteres ist für Auslandsüberweisungen und sonstige Auslandsgeschäfte der Banken nötig.

Gut unterrichteten Kreisen zufolge sei SlySoft Inc. von Amts wegen ohne Ankündigung aus dem Handelsregister des Landes gelöscht, dem Firmenchef Giancarlo Bettini mit Auslieferung gedroht, sämtliche Bankkonten eingefroren und konfisziert worden. Offizielle Begründungen gab es angeblich nicht. Bettini habe daraufhin angewiesen, alle Server abzuschalten und sei abgetaucht.

Roughly translated from Google...

After c't the information itself is the developers not clear what was the real trigger for SlySoft-closure. Unlike presumed not to have led to the US International Trade Commission to a letter of the responsible for the Blu-ray copy AACS LA. In it, the AACS LA had asked in connection with the introduction of Ultra HD Blu-ray to put Antigua & Barbuda to the Copyright Priority Watch List.

Instead, the US Department of Justice direct pressure on the Antiguan government and banks should have exerted downward completely dependent on the US. Accordingly, there was a ban in the area, should prohibit the American financial institutions to act as correspondent banks for the Antiguan banks. The latter is necessary for cross-border transfers and other external operations of banks.

Well-informed sources said SlySoft Inc. is deleted automatically without notice from the Trade Register of the country, the CEO Giancarlo Bettini threatened with extradition, frozen and confiscated all bank accounts. Official reasons there was not supposed to. Bettini had instructed then, shut down all servers and was submerged.

Slysoft spent years fighting the AACS-LA, paying fines, paying attorneys, its all documented. Slysoft and RedFox have one thing in common, they fight for your right to make a back up of a movie you own. Your rights are important to them. Fighting a giant entity like The AACS-LA is a task almost no one would consider. Yet Slysoft was able to preserve your rights for 13 years. For all the people that lost their lifetime Slysoft licenses, while I understand your apprehension and appreciate the people that support the Project, it was something that could not be avoided, RedFox learned from Slysofts demise, and they will continue to give you the best software of its kind in the world. Thank you.

At the proper time maybe it could be.
But that would have been "unwise": https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/just-makes-me.68781/#post-431213
That's in the past - pointless to speculate.

I still would like to know if the german article is correct.
Is it really that hard to respond to that ?
Yes, its really hard to respond to that, you were chatting with James. Not me. Plus I dont believe half the crap I read on the internet anyway. Even if its good, or bad. So no, I wont respond to the article.

Back