• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

My Take on the Samsung UBD-K8500

Jeff R 1

A few weeks ago, I just had to satisfy my curiosity about UHD so I went out and blew the almost 700.00 Canadian dollars on a machine and disappointingly it wasn't the revelation I was expecting. :(
My Sony 300es can't do HDR or a wider colour range beyond REC. 709, but still the reports from others with the same projector over at AVR was very positive, but I think most of that was just new equipment syndrome _ seeing something that really isn't there...

Don't get me wrong, there was some improvement in sharpness, but this was only apparent in a movie that was produced from a 4K master eg. "Chappie".
At the very beginning of the 3rd scene, the trees and grass did appear much sharper then the 1080p version, all things being equal.
For reference the 1080p version was played on my HTPC with MPC-HC and MadVR as the output filter with the GTX 980 doing the upscaling to 2160p, this gives a slight edge over the Samsung upscaling.
But in the end the native UHD disc was cleaner over-all and small back ground images like trees and grass did look better.

However when it came to an UHD disc created from a 2K master, I could not see any real improvement in definition, certainly none in the "Peanuts Movie" and none that I could see in "X Men Days Of Future Past"
There were some scenes of trees, but they were in the back ground on a "pan" and there was so much frame judder, I couldn't tell if they were any sharper in the UHD disc or the 1080p disc.
The mess from all the frame judder destroyed any discernable definition.

So what does this mean, I am still looking forward to movies that were produced from a 4K master, like "The Revenant", although I don't know if it was produced from a 4K master.
The numerous scenes of trees and landscapes should be like looking through a window, but with out some sort of FI in the chain, I think any gain here will be lost.

As for my 700.00 bucks, it's back in my pocket, the marginal gain from UHD (with my setup) was not worth it.

Back