• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

My modified ReClock script to automatically change refresh rate without PowerStrip

cbemoore

ReClock includes a VB script which can automatically change resolution and refresh rate using PowerStrip.

Traditionally, PowerStrip has been the only way to create custom resolutions. But now, this functionality has been added to the latest NVidia drivers. So instead of using PowerStrip, you can create your custom resolutions using the NVidia drivers, and then use a small program called DisplayChanger (aka ResChange) to select a particular resolution.

So here's my steps to get this working with ReClock:

1) Create your custom resolutions using the NVidia control panel. I created the following custom resolutions:

1280x720 48Hz (Cinema)
1280x720 50Hz (PAL)
1280x720 60Hz (NTSC)

2) Copy the attached RunEvent.vbs script to your "C:\Program Files\ReClock" directory.

3) Download DisplayChanger from this link, and store dc.exe in the following path: "C:\Program Files\DisplayChanger\dc.exe".

4) In the ReClock configuration program, select "Enable event notifications to VBS script when display mode is changing".

Now, when you start a video with a non-matching refresh rate, the script should automatically run, and set the resolution and refresh rate to the correct value.

If you want to use different refresh rates or resolutions, you can easily modify the script - it should be quite self-explanatory.

I've only come across one minor bug so far - the ReClock tray icon stays yellow after the resolution has changed, even though ReClock itself is working correctly. See my bug report here for details.

Good luck - let me know if it works for you!

Chris

Attachments

• RunEvent.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
You don't even need this if you're on a nvidia card.
just use:
If currentRefreshRate <> "48" Then WshShell.Run ("""rundll32.exe""nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1920 1080 32 48")
(this exemple switches to 1920x1080@48hz on first monitor)
adapt to your needs of course.
Later,

TSR
edit: of course you must create the rez first in nvidia panel before it works with this command line

Last edited:
You don't even need this if you're on a nvidia card.
just use:
If currentRefreshRate <> "48" Then WshShell.Run ("""rundll32.exe""nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1920 1080 32 48")
(this exemple switches to 1920x1080@48hz on first monitor)
adapt to your needs of course.
Later,

TSR
edit: of course you must create the rez first in nvidia panel before it works with this command line

I didn't realise you could do that!!

But as you say, that would be strictly for NVidia drivers. I guess an advantage of my script is that it should work with any graphics drivers, so long as the drivers allow you to create your desired resolution....

Can you get the same 3 decimal place control of the refresh rate than you can in Powerstrip?

why would someone skip the more accurate powerstrip for this?

I assume Rick Wang is working on version that s compatible. Powerstrip has always been up-to-date. But for the time-beeing I have to agree that it is a good solution.

I own the 7600GT so no troubles here with powerstrip!

Unless something has changed in the last few months, Powerstrip cannot work with 8 and 9 series Nvidia cards because Nvidia doesn't want it to.

Rik is powerless.

(I have just browsed the Powerstrip forum, and there is occasional mention of later Nvidia cards, but I couldn't find anything definitive.)

3) Download DisplayChanger from this link, and store dc.exe in the following path: "C:\Program Files\DisplayChanger\dc.exe".
You could use the wonderful SlySoft program "SetDisplayFrequency" instead. Comes with every AnyDVD installation.

e.g.

SetDisplayFrequency 60
SetDisplayFrequency 50
SetDisplayFrequency 48

optional /keep parameter to keep the frequency across reboots

Last edited:
With HD DVD/Blu feature movies, which speed should I be trying to achieve on my LCD, 23.976 or 24.0 hz ?

I have it at 24hz now, but I get a small skipped frame every 3- 5 secs if I look close.

If 23.976, does SetDisplayFrequency allow for decimals?

"Nearly all" are actually 23.976. I hear that 24fps is allowed for but I haven't seen any using it. Slysoft with their much wider collection of discs may know some.

With HD DVD/Blu feature movies, which speed should I be trying to achieve on my LCD, 23.976 or 24.0 hz ?

I have it at 24hz now, but I get a small skipped frame every 3- 5 secs if I look close.
You shouldn't if you use ReClock correctly, as it will play the stream synced to you refresh rate.

If 23.976, does SetDisplayFrequency allow for decimals?
No. This is the GDI refresh rate (an integer). The actual refresh rate will be the rate assigned to the integer value.

You shouldn't if you use ReClock correctly, as it will play the stream synced to you refresh rate.
Not quite true. For the last 2 years I have been sending s/pdifed AC3/DTS to my AV amp, but still using Reclock to sync clocks and auto-switch refresh rates.

If using AC3/DTS output (other than encoded after Reclock e.g. by DTS Connect/Dolby Digital Live) you will get dropped/repeated audio packets if the refresh rates are not spot on (although the video should still be smooth, if your TV can handle it).

Not quite true. For the last 2 years I have been sending s/pdifed AC3/DTS to my AV amp, but still using Reclock to sync clocks and auto-switch refresh rates.

If using AC3/DTS output (other than encoded after Reclock e.g. by DTS Connect/Dolby Digital Live) you will get dropped/repeated audio packets if the refresh rates are not spot on (although the video should still be smooth, if your TV can handle it).

You're right, but you really, really shouldn't use ReClock with SPDIF. It sucks. It doesn't work well. Never did. Until I'll add an AC3 encoder to ReClock, SPDIF should be avoided, or a soundcard with real time DTS or AC3 encoding should be used.

I think this might be a case of YMMV.

Honestly, it seemed to work perfectly here for the last couple of years, with very finely tuned 50Hz and 48.952 timings, although now with multi-channel LPCM I am converting to PCM. :clap:

I think this might be a case of YMMV.
Certainly. I'll prefer a (good) analogue multi channel connection over SPDIF with ReClock anytime.

Honestly, it seemed to work perfectly here for the last couple of years, with very finely tuned 50Hz and 48.952 timings, although now with multi-channel LPCM I am converting to PCM. :clap:
Wise move. I had high hopes for the new ATI 4xxx cards with 8 channel LPCM output over HDMI, but ATI managed to screw things up ... again. In 7.1 channel configuration they have swapped the side & back surround assignment. :mad: And with 24fps the driver behaves .... weird. Can't describe it much better. And PowerStrip timings are a "no go", because audio over HDMI doesn't work with "non out-of-the-box" timings, e.g. 48Hz.

And PowerStrip timings are a "no go", because audio over HDMI doesn't work with "non out-of-the-box" timings, e.g. 48Hz.
Very interesting!! I did not know that. Why does this stuff have to be so hard!! It is always one step forward and 9/10th of a step back (sometimes more!). Is this a linitation of just the ATI cards or all HDMI audio?

Very interesting!! I did not know that. Why does this stuff have to be so hard!! It is always one step forward and 9/10th of a step back (sometimes more!). Is this a linitation of just the ATI cards or all HDMI audio?
I don't know. But it does make (at least a little bit) of sense, as video & audio are transported via the same digital stream. If you use PowerStrip to alter the video timings (but the "audio part" doesn't know?) you'll get silence. You *can* alter the timings a little bit with ReClock, e.g. setting the ATI card to 24fps and then using PowerStrip to tweak it to 23.98. But setting the card to 60fps and then applying the PowerStrip 23.98 timing will cause silence.

It is also possible, the amplifier - which has to separate video & audio from the data stream - cannot do this with "non standard" timings which are very different from the standard HDTV timings (24p,25p,50p/i, 60p/i).

But the most annoying bug is the switch of the side/back surround channels. In the end, I'll have to use .... analogue sound connections to watch the Dark City director's cut BD with 7.1 audio... because with HDMI you can't simply "switch" the wrong channels through re-wiring the audio cables. :bang:

Last edited:
Makes me glad I stuck with 5.1 sound!

Anyway, your new product has persuaded me to go with PCM and DDL (which I already had) for now and hope that the ATI 5xxx series will give me glorious HD audio. If not, I guess I will have to go back to the stone age and get a good analogue sound card.

Back