• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

my first dvd that won't copy (simpsons)

linuxworks

just bought a collection of simpsons dvd's (boxed sets) and now am trying to rip them to my HD.

I'm seeing problems with the season1 box set. they seem to rip ok but when I play the ripped version I get a blank screen and simpsons music but that's it. initially there is a short still menu page, it appears for a fraction of a second and then goes to a blank screen and music-only.

player is media-player-classic (latest) on xp sp2. I'm using 6.1.5.5 anydvd.

I have it set to jump to title set (which I thought was the safest option) and not jump-to-movie.

this is the first dvd that I've seen NOT copy well.

any ideas?? if you need me to upload logs, just let me know.

just bought a collection of simpsons dvd's (boxed sets) and now am trying to rip them to my HD.

I'm seeing problems with the season1 box set. they seem to rip ok but when I play the ripped version I get a blank screen and simpsons music but that's it. initially there is a short still menu page, it appears for a fraction of a second and then goes to a blank screen and music-only.

I have it set to jump to title set (which I thought was the safest option) and not jump-to-movie.

this is the first dvd that I've seen NOT copy well.

any ideas?? if you need me to upload logs, just let me know.

I backed up all 9 seasons that are out. I didn't use jump to title set so you might try that. There is nothing hard with all 9 seasons with anydvd and clonedvd2.

very very odd.

I bought 7 boxed sets yesterday (amazing sale at best buy, $10 for each boxed set!) and I had good luck ripping and watching one of the boxes (all 4 dvd's). I think I ripped season 6 just fine.

then I tried season 1 and I can't even WATCH season1 using the regular dvd drive and media player classic.

something funny is going on, here. I disable anydvd and try to 'play by the rules' and just play the dvd DIRECTLY from the dvd drive. I get the same kind of results - blank screen and music - but then when I try to advance to the first chapter, I get video junk (horribly wrong looking video, almost like its encrypted data being sent directly to the display).

I'm thinking they did some really evil things to at least that first boxed set. maybe mine is newer than yours and they changed something?

1. This sounds like a codec issue to me. Try other player software.

2. Also check your driver settings and ensure brightness and contrast aren't down to zero (this happened to me once with an ATI driver after I updated it; the contrast and brightness settings within the driver were extremely low).

3. Update to Anydvd 6.1.6.1 (check the sticky at the top of the forum)

4. Disable "remove annoying adverts and trailers in Anydvd". It doesn't work with all discs.

linuxworks said:
I'm thinking they did some really evil things to at least that first boxed set. maybe mine is newer than yours and they changed something?

No. I almost guarantee it's related to one of the four things I mentioned.

After updating to Anydvd 6.1.6.1 and disabling "remove annoying adverts and trailers", give the Anydvd status window.

I'm now trying it with the option to 'remove adverts' turned off. good idea - I didn't think of that. in the past, it ALWAYS worked. maybe I was just lucky? I've ripped dozens of dvd's and this was the first one I've run into that didn't like the default set of anydvd options (the defaults I use, which is to jump to the titleset and remove 'junk').

maybe this will fix it for me; but it would be nice to have the 'adverts' removed in this dvd, too.

I always use got to title menu by default but play the DVD first in whatever player you choose to ensure there is no issues with this feature turned on. If it does as it is supposed to I go ahead and rip. This saves me time and will do the same with anyone else to so try it before you rip it is my new motto to share. 6.1.6.1 isn't the issue, this user has to be honest. Webslinger I used one of the last versions 5 series of anydvd to do it. Just so you know. :D

I think the 'adverts' option was the problem.

turning that OFF seems to allow the rip. thanks for the idea.

I am still at a loss to understand why the dvd won't play NORMALLY in my system, direct from the dvd drive.

man, they must have really 'worked' on this dvd format to make regular dvd-video break. I have not tried on a set-top dvd player appliance (I stopped using those years ago) - but I find it really disgusting that the industry would make discs that can't even play NORMALLY on a pc.

I have all the auto-run stuff disabled in xp - but I wonder if some program wants to run (autoplay?) and the video won't render without it?

this is the first time I've NEEDED anydvd just to be able to WATCH my paid-for and owned dvd. this makes me hate the industry even more - that I NEED to use a helper program to watch the media I just legally bought. wow ;(

(I know I'm preaching to the choir here)

I don't know if they are playing games with the video stream. I don't have any other decoders to use, really; MPC usually plays what is sent to it.

the only thing I can think of thats different is that I recently upgraded to an nvidia 8500gt card and the new 8series is a total redesign of the video engine. in all other dvd's and mpg sources, it plays VERY well. and with the ripped/fixed simpsons disc, it seems to (now) play as well. but direct from the dvdrom drive using MPC - I get a flash of the title menu, then blank screen, then music.

maybe I should tar up (or zip up) the ifo files and send to SS for analysis. I'm really curious what's up with this disc and why its SO HARD to be able to just watch it as you should be able to, by 'playing by the rules' (no anydvd in the tray, regular old xp pro sp2 with updates, almost nothing else installed and not even on the public network).

weird.

Again if there is a playback issue on the original return it for another set. If it is a backup that's the issue try cleaning out the PC and defrag it. I have backed up all current 9 seasons ( about 14 discs total if I remember right )that are released so there is no copy protection issue it is PC specific. Why not do as webslinger stated and I would express that if there is any packet writing software installed that this is the true issue.

I'm seeing a few issues, which I'm slowly tracking down.

one issue was MPC and its deinterlacing code. on the new 8series (8500gt) card, this was TOTALLY garbaging up the video output! totally random crap on the screen - very very weird! first time I've seen this in maybe 20 dvd's (on this brand new, 2 week old vid card).

trying the same rip and display on an OLD matrox vid card shows no video garbage. so that was not the dvd's fault and not anydvd's fault either ;)

I am able to backup individual chapters using dvddecrypter (that old program). each chapter plays fine, now.

and when I disable to 'adverts' option, anydvd does seem to rip.

I think I may be ok, now. I would still volunteer to upload stuff - if the SS crew would be willing to see if the simpsons dvd I have can be worked-around so that you don't HAVE to uncheck the 'adverts' box. I normally leave that checked and I like it that way :) it would be nice if this dvd also was 'trouble free' and I didn't have to spend time turning things off to make it rip.

btw, I have no packet writing stuff installed. not at all. I don't even LIKE the idea of packet writing on blanks. I never burn dvd's anymore and if I did, it would be full sessions and not packet based.

one thing I'd like to request: is there an option using anydvd that would let me split the ripped output into chapters or episodes? if there are 5 episodes on the dvd, ideally it would be GREAT to be able to get:

episode1.mpg
episode2.mpg

etc. even with no menus - just regular old simple mpg files, one per 'show'.

is there a simple way to do that, short of clone-dvd (which I don't have and am not sure I really want to buy, at least not yet).

I think I may be ok, now. I would still volunteer to upload stuff - if the SS crew would be willing to see if the simpsons dvd I have can be worked-around so that you don't HAVE to uncheck the 'adverts' box.

Have you read the warning message when select that option? I would like to see that feature in Anydvd improved as well, but the warning message exists for a reason.

one thing I'd like to request: is there an option using anydvd that would let me split the ripped output into chapters

That will never happen as that is what Clonedvd is for.

Back