• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

My 4K UHD Journey Part 2

eviltester

My 4K UHD Journey Part 2

Several months had passed and no word back from Pete.
Six months passed and still nothing!
On the eighth month when I came home from work, I found some mail from Pete.
A nice letter and a small package.
In the letter, Pete thanked me again and said that the enclosed CDs contained samples of the work he promised me.
His work was spectacular. I cannot express how amazing his stills and video were. Breathe taking would be heavily understated.
It was then that I also found out that Pete was not a director or producer from some big Hollywood production company, like I thought, but instead a professional videographer that is hired by companies to travel to various locations and film stuff for that company. Sometimes it would be PR shots, other times it would be documentaries, basically whatever the client wanted. The first time I met Pete he was shooting for documentaries on the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion events. Apparently it is much cheaper for clients to use videographers like Pete than pay millions for a full production company from Hollywood since they are getting the same or superior quality results anyways.

As years passed, Pete's camera systems transitioned from tape/film media (BETA,VHS, 35mm, etc.) to digital.
The copies of his work that he sent me also followed the same transition ( CD to DVD to Bluray).
It wasn't until the RED camera systems came out that I became aware of what films/movies were truly capable of being viewed in.
Once Pete switched over to the RED format, my movie viewing nights were radically changed forever.
Funny tidbit Pete shared --> http://4k.com/news/20-years-movie-titles-filmed-4k-nobody-bothered-save/

Pete's RED camera systems (4K/6K/8K) basically produce a RAW video with the size of ~10GB/hour.
With the 1 TB RED Media drive, that's ~100 hours of video per drive.
Pete's video sizes had long since passed the ability of DVD storage, once he switched over to the RED system, and were slowly creeping past the BDXL media limit he was sending me on 100/128 GB bluray media. I purchased a few large SSD's and sent them to Pete. Easier and cheaper for him to fill them up and send those back to me than discs.

It was during this transitioning, over to the RED system, that caused me a lot of grief in trying to play the 4K UHD content that Pete sent but it also helped us discover a lot about the 4K UHD world and all the lies that are being spread by the industry. Thanks to Pete, his contacts at MIT & UCLA(now mine as well) & others, I have been playing 4K UHD commercial/burnt discs on my AMD system since day 1.

Thanks to my business, I had several hundred bluray readers/writers at my disposal.

Sadly, many of them claimed BDXLcapabilities, but only a handful actually lived up to 100% reliable expectations.

100 GB BDXL R/RE (write-once and re-writeable) discs;
128 GB BDXL R (write-once) discs

have been available since 2010 but very few drives could format these discs let alone read them. Or so I thought until Pete shared his secrets.

https://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/128gb-bdxl-blu-ray-disc-specification-finalized-and-fabulous/
https://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/blu-ray-discs-expand-to-128gb-under-new-bdxl-spec/

1868 bluray 4K UHD titles so far and increasing.

As Ch3vr0n would say...the LG, Pioneer and Lite-on drives were the most reliable ones.

What we have learned & practised since the beginning of burning media (CD/DVD/Bluray) through lots of errors along our journey is that not all readers/writers are the same so we use READERS to read/copy/etc. media & use writers for burning only & never to read.

Although many will dispute this next tidbit(the monkey) but after tens of thousands of successful burns/copies & detailed analysis we no longer give credance to those companies that produce copy software that always default to the LAME excuse that the reason the copy is not working is because of a dirty/defective disc. BS!!!
Yes, we've had our share over the decades of just a few truly defective discs. We are not saying that they never exist but as Pete has indicated to us, since he is involved with those companies that press & distribute masters, it is rare to see a bad batch as that would kill sales if the company was known to produce too many flawed discs. They ALL have rigorous QA testing & extremely rare to have flawed media distributed world-wide. It happens but not very often.

Proof:
Your standalone player that is connected to your TV has the EXACT same laser as your PC reader (not writer). Through decades of bit for bit digital comparison they read the exact same info off the media. So if a commercial disc plays fine on your standalone, it reads the exact same way to play on your PC but if the copy software can't read it properly then it is the programmers that need to fix their software. Their first response is to claim that you have a dirty or defective disc. We have proven this to be a lie in almost all of our decades of testing. You don't need to be highly technical to understand the process.

Insert commercial disc into standalone or PC;
Hit play;
It plays with no issues on your TV or PC (which means the disc is 100% good & NOT dirty nor defective)

Now when you try to copy the disc with their software, it won't read properly. BS!!
All we can say is for the companies to fix their software because they have no excuse since the same laser that read the disc to play it is the exact same laser used to copy it & passes the EXACT same digital bits to the software (whether it be a video player or copier). If the disc played fine on the standalone but not on the PC, then you may have a defective PC reader but the last resort is to claim dirty/defective disc since it played fine elsewhere. BTW, optical burners & optical readers DO NOT use/employ the same laser. A reader has a far better chance at reading a problematic disc than a burner does even though for general purposes (NOT copying) burners read discs just fine.

Back