• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

multi-format drive, right?

Frank

SlySoft Support Team
No comment necessary:

Am I correct in understanding that the Blu Ray disc is meant to play on a
Regular DVD player? (even if mine is a multiformat player and burner that
does many things except Blu Ray)

:confused:

I'm sure my good ol' cd player from 1992 will play dvds as well.

Yeah

And it doesn't play on my BSR 310X even ith a cardboard insert.

Am I correct in understanding that the Blu Ray disc is meant to play on a
Regular DVD player? (even if mine is a multiformat player and burner that
does many things except Blu Ray)

Gee, Why I didn't think of that I could have at least save lot of money :rolleyes: On a second thought good thing I didn't. I love my LG GGW H20L Y07 Drive.

Last edited:
Hey, you shouldn't laugh at the noob. There was a time when I didn't know s***-from-shinola either. And I'll bet that some of you younger guys still don't.
Shinola is shoe polish, back in the day all kids polished their shoes and their Dad's at least once a week.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I do expect people to think logically. I do not agree to the today's manner of laws and courts proving every airhead right. (Especially in the USA this has taken on a dramatic scale) :disagree:

Hey, you shouldn't laugh at the noob. There was a time when I didn't know s***-from-shinola either. And I'll bet that some of you younger guys still don't.
Shinola is shoe polish, back in the day all kids polished their shoes and their Dad's at least once a week.;)

i hope they didn't polish it with the other thing :)

Yes, I remember

I may even be older than you are and yes, I remember shinola comparison very well - I grew up outside of NY and even in 50's this was still an expression.
:D

No, I do expect people to think logically. I do not agree to the today's manner of laws and courts proving every airhead right. (Especially in the USA this has taken on a dramatic scale) :disagree:

HUH?

Webslinger: Is sh*t a swear word? The expression just doesn't work if your say "You don't know poo-poo from shinola.":D

When in high school I had a science teacher tell her class, "The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. Because a question is a quest to increase your knowledge, and who knows, many other people may have the same need for the answer."

I knew a man who asked this question while on vacationing in Colorado. "Do they measure the acreage of the land by the way the land is sloped, or is it still figured on the horizontal like in Kansas and Oklahoma?"

He was poo pooed about it, but when I asked for an answer also, it turned out that nobody knew.

Rick

Yes the underappreciated country.....:rock:

HUH?

Webslinger: Is sh*t a swear word? The expression just doesn't work if your say "You don't know poo-poo from shinola.":D
Actually, the saying (which may have started in the military) was "you don't know spit from Shinola". In other words, the person couldn't tell if someone really shined their shoes (i.e., with Shinola) or merely rubbed spit on them to dissolve spots & dull places and make them *look* clean. Though other old military expressions originally contained expletives (i.e., the F in both "snafu" and "fubar"), that's not the case here; you just can't clean shoes with poo-poo. ;):doh:

Actually, the saying (which may have started in the military) was "you don't know spit from Shinola". In other words, the person couldn't tell if someone really shined their shoes (i.e., with Shinola) or merely rubbed spit on them to dissolve spots & dull places and make them *look* clean. Though other old military expressions originally contained expletives (i.e., the F in both "snafu" and "fubar"), that's not the case here; you just can't clean shoes with poo-poo. ;):doh:

I never heard that before, it was alway sh** where I came from (Bronx). We always figured that brown shinola looks alot like... well you know. From Phrase Finder:
Doesn't know shit from Shinola
Meaning

Possessing poor judgment or knowledge.
Origin

doesn't know shit from SinolaShinola was a brand of shoe polish previously manufactured in the USA. The alliteration and the fact that the two commodities in the phrase could possibly be confused is the derivation. The distinction is well made; only one of them would be good to apply to your shoes and only particularly dim people could be expected to muddle them up. Of course, outside America, most people don't know Shinola from anything at all, as they've never heard of it. Even in America it would probably not be widely remembered but for this phrase.

The 'ola' suffix is popular in the USA as part of trade names, e.g. Crayola, Granola etc. This leads to the pronunciation of Shinola as shine + ola. That spoils the alliteration a little as it would work better as shin + ola.

This phrase is typical of the barrack room vulgarity of WWII, which is where it originated. Other "doesn't know" phrases, also mostly from the military are, "doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground" (or elbow, or a hot rock, or third base), "doesn't know enough to pee downwind", "doesn't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his ass". The tone is lifted a little by the English conductor Sir Henry Wood who expressed a similar opinion with "he doesn't know his brass from his woodwind".

also from Wiki:

Shinola
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about a brand of shoe polish. For other meanings, see Shinola (disambiguation).
A tin of Shinola.

Shinola is a brand of wax shoe polish that was available in the early- to mid-20th century. The original trademark was filed in 1929 by 2-in-1 Shinola-Bixby Corporation, New Jersey.[dubious – discuss][1][2]
[edit] In popular culture

Shinola was immortalized in colloquial English by the phrase You don't know sh*t from Shinola which first became widely popular during World War II.[3]

and Wikitionary:

English
Wikipedia has an article on:
Shinola

[edit] Etymology

A colloquialism which dates back to the early 1940s in the United States. [1] Shinola is a once-popular, now-defunct shoe polish brand, which had a color and texture not unlike feces; the joke in the idiom being that only a stupid person could confuse the two upon more than a passing glance.

Back