• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Movie Only BD Guide

Depends on what you mean by play back, exactly. If you use Adbear's method, you can play anything the original contains. (He makes backups onto a blank BD-R/E ;)) If you want to make an AVCHD folder structure and shove that onto an external usb drive, apparently it's possible to play back DTS-HD MA tracks, but, not TrueHD. Streaming, otoh, limits you in a whole bunch of other ways. So, currently the best way to play back on the PS3 is to burn a blank BD-R/E. I don't bother. I just play my ISOs on my HTPC.

Here here, the pq on from my 8600GTS on my HTPC kills the ps3, similarly does the aq from the annalogue outputs direct to my avr. Why is it that the analogue outputs playing back (who knows what, i can't be lossless thru pwrdvd), sounds way better than DTS or DD through spdif?

Because of the bandwidth limitations of SPDIF. By using analog, you can have PowerDVD decode the HD audio formats to LPCM and drive the speakers directly. In my receiver I can bypass all processing on the receiver...the 6 channel input passes the sound directly to each speaker. So, yea, this is going to be a WAY better experience than AC3 or DTS.

Yes i to have 6ch direct input- but what you're saying is that pwrdvd can decode hd-audio and send as pcm but this would infer that pwrdvd can decode hd-audio and i thought it just ignored all lossless formats due to pap and just read core 16bit tracks. If this is incorrect and what i am hearing from my avr is pretty close to bitstream lossless, and it does sound pretty damn good, then why would i bother to upgrade to the lastest avr that can decode lossless via bitstream?

You wouldn't...that's the point. PowerDVD does downgrade the audio slightly. But it's still HD audio and doesn't just do the core audio decoding. It decodes HD audio and down rez's it a bit for very stupid reasons. (Yes, the PAP) And update next month (ha ha) will allow PowerDVD 8.5 to send unmolested audio via hdmi to a receiver. Receivers that can decode the HD audio formats IMO are a waste. I'd rather have the player decode them to LPCM and send that instead. There are reasons for it that I've explained before. Nonetheless, you're getting almost the best audio experience you can get from HD audio with the set up you have.

Thanks for your time and your helping me to not spend up on new gear that i don't need. i don't what time it is where you are but here in Australia it's getting near midnight and I'm ready to hit the sack.

Cheers once agin for the help!

Regards

Paul

Last edited:
You'll need to use something like UltraCompare for that. That's the one I use, but, I'm sure there are others that can do the same thing.
looks like only two files were off. 00000.mpls (tsMuxeR file is bigger) & 00001.clpi (TsRemux file is bigger)
I swapped around the playlists (Mpls) and it didn't matter. it probably the clpi file or a setting I have wrong.
It should be attached for you to look at.

Attachments

• Result.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Strange. Yea, I have no idea. I guess remaster the m2ts file with tsmuxer and then make a bd structure with tsremux for now. You could also try posting these results in the tsmuxer thread on doom9 and see if anyone has any ideas. Very odd.

Lost my road map!!!

I am new to BD stuff, but did do a bunch of SD copying. I ran AnyDisk with Nat Treasure 2. I found stream# 429 which was 29.8GB. I am trying to get it down to under 25 GB to record on one BD. I did Tsremux and kept just the True HD track and put it into a file called NatTreasure.M2ts(4.89 GB). Now I don't know how to proceed further. I will be using Nero 8 later to burn the BD, but after what I did, I don't know how to go on. Please help. Thanks.

That's cause you didn't follow the guide at all. First mistake, you now only have an audio stream with no video. That's probably not good, eh? :) Second mistake, you output to an m2ts file. That's not overly useful, either. You need to redo this keeping the video, TrueHD, and probably the english subtitle track. And you need to output it to a new Blu-ray folder structure, not a new m2ts file. Once you have the folder structure my advice is to use my makeISO batch file and create an ISO from it. Then burn that using ImgBurn. (The reason I recommend making the ISO first rather than just burning the folder structure is that the batch file will set all the correct options for the ISO so when you burn it you won't have any issues)

Yup, good advice. I tend to keep the highest quality, smallest audio stream. What I mean is, because TrueHD is only "recommended" for BD and not required to be supported, a lot of studios add another HD audio track such as LPCM. There is 0 difference in quality between a TrueHD or DTS HD MA track and the LPCM track, but, the size difference is huge. Plus by keeping the TrueHD or DTS HD MA track, your player should be able to decode the core audio if you wanted to output via SPDIF, for example. I also keep the english subs because there could be translations to foreign languages as part of the main movie contained in those.

I thought TrueHD does not carry a "core"? I'm fairly sure about it actually. Do you know for a fact that it does? I am also confused by tyee's post, perhaps he can clarify better:

Just tried this method, here is the output of eac3to

E:\ProgramFiles\Rip\eac3to>eac3to f:
1) 00002.mpls, 00028.m2ts, 1:32:33
- h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
- TrueHD, English, multi-channel, 48khz
- TrueHD, Japanese, multi-channel, 48khz
- AC3, French, stereo, 48khz

2) 00003.mpls, 00029.m2ts, 0:34:44
- MPEG2, 480i30 /1.001 (4:3)
- AC3, Japanese, stereo, 48khz

I loaded 00002.mpls into tsmuxer and the resulting output had nice video but no audio at all! I selected the Dolby TrueHD as the audio I wanted.
Can anyone see why??

There is no English AC3 track there, but he goes on to say that he did play the movie which showed "AC3" in the info. Also, there is no Japanese AC3, nor there is a TrueHD French track. If TrueHD doesn't carry a "core" AC3 track (which I'm fairly sure :D), then shouldn't it have been completely obvious that when he could hear the audio and it showed "AC3" it would have been in French? If he was expecting to hear TrueHD it should have been English or Japanese.

Which brings me to this. Maybe TrueHD does carry a "core"? That would completely destroy my whole worldview! I've lived under that assumption all my life! Think of the children! Is there no God?

Someone at AVS mentioned that TrueHD carries a "hidden" track, not exactly a "core" but just hidden somehow, but I have found no evidence nor info on that besides that post. He links to an article that does not say that exactly, but says TrueHD doesn't carry a "core" and it has to be bundled with a DD track on the disc (which doesn't happen with some discs). In all HD-DVDs I have seen that had a TrueHD track, this was true, there was always a DD+ track.

TrueHD doesn't have a core, exactly. However, I keep it because of this:

All TrueHD players are capable of downmixing the decoded TrueHD audiotrack to an arbitrary number of channels more suitable for player output. For example, all TrueHD-capable players can create a 2-channel (stereo-compatible) downmix from a 6-channel source audiotrack.

In my case I have a PS3 and my HTPC for playback, so, keeping the TrueHD audio track is never a bad thing. PowerDVD knows how to decode it properly even for spdif playback. I'm fairly sure the PS3 can, as well, but, I currently have no way to fully test that theory.

In any case, while it doesn't carry a core track, it's irrelevant to me as the basis is the same...it can be decoded and played back which is all I really care about.

I noticed that about TrueHD when I first started playing those movies in HD-DVD. I love my Dolby Headphone for late-night viewing, but PowerDVD used to read TrueHD in 2-channel mode when "headphone" output was selected (it should first take the 5.1 channels and then apply DH). I suppose it also happened with Dolby Virtual speaker, but that feature is not worth much for me. I don't know if they fixed it yet, I already got my DH love from my Asus cards.

Well, I'll be building a new HTPC sometime this summer or fall for my bedroom now that I have an HDTV in there (samsung 40" lcd...couldn't resist the price), but the sound will likely be downmixed to DTS via spdif. Hopefully PowerDVD can deal with that on TrueHD tracks. I could do the analog thing even with those speakers I suppose so either way it's not really a big deal I guess. For now the only playback I have of HD movies is via the 360 for HD DVD and my PS3 for BD. The 360 looks great on that tv. I haven't tried the ps3 because the hdmi cables I ordered haven't come yet. I think they'll be here on Tuesday and then I can try it out. If I ever upgrade my sound system in the living room I'll move the living room's sound into my bedroom. That's beyond overkill but oh well. :)

Anyway, I do like keeping TrueHD due to the size. Much much smaller, and exactly the same quality as LPCM or DTS-HD MA.

ISO to Folder

Hi SamuriHL,

I am at present using your guide to create movie only bd iso's. I have just one simple question. I ripped most of my bd's in full using imgburn straight to iso on the hdd. How do I convert them back to a folder?

Cheers

Paul

Hi SamuriHL,

I am at present using your guide to create movie only bd iso's. I have just one simple question. I ripped most of my bd's in full using imgburn straight to iso on the hdd. How do I convert them back to a folder?

Cheers

Paul

You need to mount them using a virtual drive program.

................and................rip them using anydvd hd?

Last edited:
................and................rip them using anydvd hd?

Download Daemon Tools, that's what most of us use. Then open it and mount your ISO image. You'll see it as a new optical disc drive, just like if you were playing directly from a disc.

This method of reducing file size is brilliant! Golden Compass BD has 2 complete versions of the main title, one has p-i-p directors comments edited over the movie. By removing this I managed to shrink the iso size from 45gb to 23.8gb! This seems to good to be true. Can someone please point out some draw back to this.

Hi SamuriHL,

Cheers

Paul

Mount them in Daemon Tools and run this process against the mounted Daemon Tools drive. No need to rerip to folders first.

Back