• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request MKV support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Chaewon This is not related to how difficult or easy the thing is. It is fairly simple indeed. However, this limitation is intentional and is not going to change.

I'm a little disappointed that Redfox team has refused to give any explanation as to why MKV container isn't supported. You know the benefits of MKV over MP4, and you know that it is a pain to have to use MKVtoolnix for every file that is downloaded. And it's not a simple drag-and-drop operation; every MP4 I've converted has to have 80ms delay added to the audio, otherwise the MKV has a -80ms audio delay. On top of all that, having to convert 100s of GB of files is unnecessary wear-and-tear on your SSD, which has limited write cycles. So, the team needs to understand that this conversion is a huge pain in the "tuhes" (@Prospere) and a major source of frustration for many users.

Respectfully, I must ask you to justify the decision not to support MKV, as I don't see why this should be kept a secret. You can PM me too. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm a little insulted by the fact that Redfox team has denied giving any explanation as to why MKV container isn't supported and isn't already the preferred container for all downloads. You know perfectly well all the benefits of MKV over MP4, and you know that it is a pain to have to use MKVtoolnix for every single file that is downloaded. And it's not a simple drag-and-drop operation; every MP4 I've converted has to have 80ms delay added to the audio, otherwise the MKV has a -80ms audio delay. On top of all that, having to convert 100s of GB of files is unnecessary wear-and-tear on your SSD, which has limited write cycles. So, the team needs to understand that this conversion is a huge pain in the "tuhes" (@Prospere) and a major source of frustration for users.

Respectfully, I must ask you to justify the decision not to support MKV, as this shouldn't be a secret, and if it is kept private for whichever reason I'm not aware of, you can PM me. Thank you.

I never had to resync audio from simply converting an MP4 to an MKV, using mkvmerge or anything else.

As for the drudgery of it, I just script it (as a believe a lot of other members have).

I'm a little insulted by the fact that Redfox team has denied giving any explanation as to why MKV container isn't supported and isn't already the preferred container for all downloads. You know perfectly well all the benefits of MKV over MP4, and you know that it is a pain to have to use MKVtoolnix for every single file that is downloaded. And it's not a simple drag-and-drop operation; every MP4 I've converted has to have 80ms delay added to the audio, otherwise the MKV has a -80ms audio delay. On top of all that, having to convert 100s of GB of files is unnecessary wear-and-tear on your SSD, which has limited write cycles. So, the team needs to understand that this conversion is a huge pain in the "tuhes" (@Prospere) and a major source of frustration for users.

Respectfully, I must ask you to justify the decision not to support MKV, as this shouldn't be a secret, and if it is kept private for whichever reason I'm not aware of, you can PM me. Thank you.
Because the developer said so. Thats final.

unless you work for redfox, which i pretty much guarantee you don't, Prospere doesn't answer to you and doesn't owe you an explanation as to why there are no plans for mkv. That's up to them to decide. You don't know what they do or don't know. There's not going to be a PM.

As to mkvtoonlix, pretty sure it supports command-line operation for batch muxing. Not an anystream problem. Now as to the write cycles. Unless you write dozens of terrabytes a day on your ssd (even a "low grade sata" one), your SSD will be replaced by a larger one LONG before you hit the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) and TBW (Total Bytes Written)

You know perfectly well all the benefits of MKV over MP4 and you know that it is a pain to have to use MKVtoolnix for every single file that is downloaded. And it's not a simple drag-and-drop operation; every MP4 I've converted has to have 80ms delay added to the audio, otherwise the MKV has a -80ms audio delay. On top of all that, having to convert 100s of GB of files is unnecessary wear-and-tear on your SSD, which has limited write cycles. So, the team needs to understand that this conversion is a huge pain in the "tuhes" (@Prospere) and a major source of frustration for users.

Just tried converting an episode with ffmpeg 4.3-1 with no additional switches other than -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s srt (I use embedded subs) and A-V sync is perfect, chances are, MVKtoolnix ignores something it shouldn't. So you just need to download the binary and batch process, don't even need to drag and drop, & voila! ;)

But I don't get the benefits of MKV over MP4 bit though?.. o_O

Because the developer said so. Thats final.

Sorry, but this is not a normal way to respond to any paying customer. You can flex your muscles and ignore the complaints, but this "deal with it" attitude towards your customers won't help you or your product.

You may not like the answer, and that's fine, but this "limitation" has been there since the beginning and it has been stated several times now that the developers are not going to add MKV support. If you bought this product thinking that you could somehow bully the development team with the following:

I must ask you to justify the decision not to support MKV,

Then you are mistaken. They don't owe you an explanation and made no secret of not supporting MKV from the very beginning. I'm not a big fan of people who feel entitled...

Sorry, but this is not a normal way to respond to any paying customer. You can flex your muscles and ignore the complaints, but this "deal with it" attitude towards your customers won't help you or your product.

As I already said above (even before Redfox 1) that's not your decision to make.

It's also not normal for a user to dictate to a developer which file containers they should support and which one they should use as a default. It's even less up to a user like yourself to demand an explanation on why they do it the way they do.

But hey, have you ever checked the debug log or used the provider's default apps? Here's a hint, the providers THEMSELVES serve the streams in mp4 for video and m4a for audio? Are you going to dictate to them that they should swap to mkv as well? Doubt they're going to listen to you.

It's not going to happen any time soon or is even planned said the developers, and that's the end of that discussion. Do i make myself clear?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

There is also EIA-608 I have noticed in Amazon's case what you get is dependent on what masters they have been supplied with.
I also convert everything to mkv it's usually very easy (say 95% of the time) but in the case of the other 5% can sometimes be more work than what people here seem to think.

There is also EIA-608 I have noticed in Amazon's case what you get is dependent on what masters they have been supplied with.
I also convert everything to mkv it's usually very easy (say 95% of the time) but in the case of the other 5% can sometimes be more work than what people here seem to think.

For that statement to be true, we would all to have equivalent datasets. I've rarely had an issue converting to MKV, definitely not 5%.

DrX

For that statement to be true, we would all to have equivalent datasets. I've rarely had an issue converting to MKV, definitely not 5%.

DrX
I was just being impressionistic for the 5%, I wasnt counting.
My point: If you started to automate that stuff it would end up being a never ending tunnel of work.

I was just being impressionistic for the 5%, I wasnt counting.
My point: If you started to automate that stuff it would end up being a never ending tunnel of work.

And my point was our experiences differ.

Also, I don't know this "never ending tunnel of work" is. I automated the process long ago. Haven't had to touch it since.

As I already said above (even before Redfox 1) that's not your decision to make.
Do i make myself clear?

I have now spoken to the mods in private and their courteous response satisfies me. However, I have to say, Ch3vr0n, you made yourself clear in your first reply and that's why I didn't respond to you. When you treat adults condescendingly, like children, that's the kind of response you can expect.

This will be the final thing I say about this topic: contrary to what has been stated, I did not dictate to the developers what features they should support. I simply requested an explanation as to why the feature request was denied, and it's perfectly normal for a paying customer to request a reason, any reason (e.g. it's too hard to implement, it must be kept confidential, etc.), if the developers are accepting feature requests. So, let's please stop pretending that I'm some kind of entitled 15-year-old that has to be put in his place.

Again, thank you to the mods that responded in private. I accept that there will be no further discussion on why this feature will not be implemented.

And my point was our experiences differ.

Also, I don't know this "never ending tunnel of work" is. I automated the process long ago. Haven't had to touch it since.

Then you haven't come across for example EIA-608 yet.
Of course if you only do the TV series type things, probably these issues never turn up.
It's not possible to automate the process in general I am really sure.
Yes our experiences differ of course. Try some Arrow films on Amazon with a mixture of forced subs for example. OK maybe I should have said 99% or 99.9% or whatever not 95% but in the end once you start to do something you end up having to support all the oddities.

Last edited:
Then you haven't come across for example EIA-608 yet.
Of course if you only do the TV series type things, probably these issues never turn up.
It's not possible to automate the process in general I am really sure.
Yes our experiences differ of course. Try some Arrow films on Amazon with a mixture of forced subs for example. OK maybe I should have said 99% or 99.9% or whatever not 95% but in the end once you start to do something you end up having to support all the oddities.

My MP4 to MKV script automatically handles forced subtitles. Marks them as forced when it creates the MKV.

I have now spoken to the mods in private and their courteous response satisfies me. However, I have to say, Ch3vr0n, you made yourself clear in your first reply and that's why I didn't respond to you. When you treat adults condescendingly, like children, that's the kind of response you can expect..

Well, if your going to make condescending demands, act like a child and tell the developers what they can and can't do, and should or shouldn't be doing, that's the kind of response you can expect.

In the interest of keeping it constructive, I won't respond to any more remarks by users like Ch3vr0n.

My MP4 to MKV script automatically handles forced subtitles. Marks them as forced when it creates the MKV.

Do you mind sharing the MP4 to MKV script you're using with other users who may be doing this manually? TIA.

When you advise someone of being childish when responding to a demand for explanation, when you have no right to demand anything... You get treated like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back