• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request MKV support

Status
Not open for further replies.
That will burn in the subtitle into the video and not what I want. As I understand it, mp4 doesn't allow subtitle tracks.

I think what he means is...
He thinks the subtitles are forcefully burned on the video picture...
No they are not... the subs are embedded in the file.
You can either set them on or off.

That will burn in the subtitle into the video and not what I want. As I understand it, mp4 doesn't allow subtitle tracks.

As some people already said...
the subtitles are embedded in the video file,not BURNT on the video picture....
example from one of my mp4 video with subtitles embedded in it..
by default all subtitles are OFF, you have to turn them on manually,if you want to see them.

Text #1
ID : 3
Format : Timed Text
Muxing mode : sbtl
Codec ID : tx3g
Duration : 1 h 3 min
Source duration : 1 h 3 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 102 b/s
Stream size : 47.4 KiB (0%)
Source stream size : 47.4 KiB (0%)
Title : English / English
Language : English
Forced : No
Encoded date : UTC 2020-10-13 12:59:49
Tagged date : UTC 2020-10-13 12:59:49

Text #2
ID : 4
Format : Timed Text
Muxing mode : sbtl
Codec ID : tx3g
Duration : 1 h 3 min
Source duration : 1 h 3 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 97 b/s
Stream size : 45.2 KiB (0%)
Source stream size : 45.2 KiB (0%)
Title : 中文(繁體) / 中文(繁體)
Language : Chinese
Forced : No
Encoded date : UTC 2020-10-13 12:59:49
Tagged date : UTC 2020-10-13 12:59:49

MP4 and MKV are both just container files, with the difference that MKV has better support for various (aka newer) formats...
Good reading: difference between mp4 and mkv

Bottom line: anystream does NOT burn any permanent subtitles on the video.. it just embeds, aka attaches the subtitle files into the mp4 file. :)

Last edited:
I stand corrected. Thanks all! Just tried it, and indeed it adds subtitles track to the mp4 file. That was not clear to me.

Interesting is that MKVToolNix doesn't seem to recognize these tracks. VLC Player does and shows them nicely. PowerDVD 18 sees the tracks, but cannot display them.

I stand corrected. Thanks all! Just tried it, and indeed it adds subtitles track to the mp4 file. That was not clear to me.

Interesting is that MKVToolNix doesn't seem to recognize these tracks. VLC Player does and shows them nicely. PowerDVD 18 sees the tracks, but cannot display them.

If you happen to download some videos with eg. youtube-dl off some sites which it supports..
If the video has subtitles embedded by default in the mp4, you will see that mkvtoolnix does not notice them at all... (use eg. mediainfo to check the specs of the video,it will show you the embedded subtitles..)
so it is not an issue with anystream, more like... with the mp4 container itself,and mkvtoolnix not supporting it properly (or it has some bugs..)
(...i used to wonder myself why does some videos which i downloaded have doubleset of subtitles attached to it... when i added external .srt subs into the mp4 file,which already had them by default.. )

Last edited:
Correct. Didn't blame AnyStream. Just saying I noticed the mp4 subtitles tracks don't seem to be as widely recognized. mkvtoolnix doesn't see them and PowerDVD cannot show them. Has nothing to do with AnyStream but good to know depending on what player you use.

Correct. Didn't blame AnyStream. Just saying I noticed the mp4 subtitles tracks don't seem to be as widely recognized. mkvtoolnix doesn't see them and PowerDVD cannot show them. Has nothing to do with AnyStream but good to know depending on what player you use.

No worries.
We all know you did not blame anystream, you just misunderstood some things. :)

edit:
actually,might be good idea to include in anystream's FAQ some info about the embedded subtitles that they are NOT burnt on the video.. and they are all OFF by default,and have to be switched on manually... :)

personally,i now download all the videos as they are with the settings set to embed the subtitles in the video file,so i don't have to mux them manually later on..
(unless there is several audio tracks,which i, for some reason, would like to include in the final video, then i have to mux the video+audio tracks+subs into mkv ..)
ofcourse, if you want to set a certain language subtitle set ON by default,or forced ON, you need to mux the video into mkv with a seperate .srt file.
atleast i haven't found a way to edit the mp4 properties to set any of them subtitles by default, ON

edit 2: thanks for letting us know it's not working with powerDVD .. but it is an issue with the mp4 container..(or powerdvd for that matter..)
if you need the subs to display,then better download them seperately,and mux them into the video file... (i use VLC/media player classic, and they display the subtitles fine in the mp4 file,didn't try powerdvd as of yet..)

edit3:
Which version of PowerDVD you are using ?
I have v19.0.1912.62 and the embedded subtitles in the mp4 file display just fine.

Last edited:
Just saying I noticed the mp4 subtitles tracks don't seem to be as widely recognized. mkvtoolnix doesn't see them and PowerDVD cannot show them.
Additional subtitle implementation methods are planned i believe.

Yes, I remember the developers saying the method used to embed is not compatible with all players, so they were looking to improve that.

BUT -- it should work fine in PDVD.

I had no trouble using them in PDVD 20.

Let me check a movie in 18....

T

If the PowerDVD version the person is using,is not genuine (aka pirated/cracked),it is known some interesting anomalies may happen with the videos played with it. ;-)

Let me check a movie in 18....

Ok, you're right.

The movie's embedded subtitles showed in PDVD 20 but didn't work in 18.

Kamala says 19 is fine so maybe just 19 and 20...

P.S. Good to know they're working on it!

T

Ok, you're right.

The movie's embedded subtitles showed in PDVD 20 but didn't work in 18.

T

i had v19 bundled with this "high-end" laptop of mine, don't know about other versions, but works with v19, and now we know,works with v20, since u said so.

i had v19 bundled with this "high-end" laptop of mine, don't know about other versions, but works with v19, and now we know,works with v20, since u said so.

Yeah, I've checked 4 or 5 now.

All worked in PDVD 20 and didn't show in PDVD 18.

T

Yes, I am still using PowerDVD 18. Good to know it will work if I upgrade.

PowerDVD seems slower getting all these little things fixed in their players, especially in regards to subtitles. I reported a few issues in that area in their player a few years back and never got fixed with 18. Will have to try 20 at some point. VLC is much more compatible. I guess big companies are a little slower to fix things and/or the VLC base are better reporting issues.

There's a bit of confused thinking in some of the above. There are two basic types of subtitles (apart from just burned in of course).
1. Subtitles which are embedded in the video stream, often known as closed captions. Neither mkvtoolnix nor AnyStream will even see these, as far as they are concerned they are just part of the video, but players like vlc will see them and play them. Many Amazon streams include these.
2. Subtitles which come as a separate stream either in the mp4 or as a separate file such as srt.
These are two totally different things. I had to learn this too.

1) Is referred to as hardsubs, hardcoded, or burned in. 2) Is referred to as softsubs and can be either embedded (in the same file) or external (a separate file with the same filename).

In my experience embedded MP4 subtitles have sketchy support across playback devices, so I would suggest that if you're a person who wants or needs subtitles that you should choose the external SRT subtitles option in AnyStream and then either use that file alongside the MP4 file, or take one more step and remux the MP4 and SRT file together into a single MKV via MKVToolNix, etc. The last one is easily the best, but it takes an extra minute or two of work.

I would suggest that if you're a person who wants or needs subtitles that you should choose the external SRT subtitles option in AnyStream and then ... use that file alongside the MP4 file

That's what I've been doing until the embedded format in AnyStream is more universally accepted.

I set up my download file template in Settings to create a folder for the movie/episode which holds the .mp4 and the .srt files.

T

Last edited:
Anyhow, I already have a python script to do the job so I won't bother you any further with it.
HI!

Can you share the script with me? I'd also rather use MKV containers and as the dev's have said it's off the table I'm happy to copy your homework :D

ffmpeg -i file.mp4 -i file.srt -c copy file.mkv

the above is all you need to turn an mp4 with an external srt into an mkv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back