• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

MKV from DVD

mr-me

Hello developers, I'm in the process of backing up all my Blu-Rays and DVDs and creating MKVs with the goal of setting up a NAS movie server. CloneBD has been working great (except for lossless on my Oppo 103D, which does't work). My feature request/question is: wouldn't it be relatively simple and easy to add the ability to create MKV, from DVD's, to CloneBD since it already makes MKVs from Blue-Ray? I have CloneDVD as well as CloneDVDmobile but neither one (as far as I know) can make lossless (or near lossless) MKV from DVD. It was suggested I use makeMKV but I'd rather stay with Fox and use CloneBD :)

Hello developers, I'm in the process of backing up all my Blu-Rays and DVDs and creating MKVs with the goal of setting up a NAS movie server. CloneBD has been working great (except for lossless on my Oppo 103D, which does't work). My feature request/question is: wouldn't it be relatively simple and easy to add the ability to create MKV, from DVD's, to CloneBD since it already makes MKVs from Blue-Ray? I have CloneDVD as well as CloneDVDmobile but neither one (as far as I know) can make lossless (or near lossless) MKV from DVD. It was suggested I use makeMKV but I'd rather stay with Fox and use CloneBD :)
This would be a feature request for CloneDVDmobile. But I don't think it makes much sense to make lossless mkvs from DVDs. The MPEG2 data is very big, you can convert it to another, much smaller format with (almost?) no quality loss.
CloneDVDmobile has a losless output called "VOB passthrough". But that's not mkv.

CloneBD doesn't understand the structure of DVDs, so this is out of the question.

CloneBD doesn't understand the structure of DVDs, so this is out of the question.
Thank you for the feedback.. I obviously don't know anything about the structure of DVD or Blu-Ray (n)

you can convert it to another, much smaller format with (almost?) no quality loss.
Did I mention that I'm a newbie?? .. I would greatly appreciate any recommendation as to what format (and program) to use for that no (or almost no) picture quality loss.

This would be a feature request for CloneDVDmobile. But I don't think it makes much sense to make lossless mkvs from DVDs. The MPEG2 data is very big, you can convert it to another, much smaller format with (almost?) no quality loss.
CloneDVDmobile has a losless output called "VOB passthrough". But that's not mkv.

I would love to have lossless mkv from DVD !!!
Maybe it is possible to add this feature in the future ?

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback.. I obviously don't know anything about the structure of DVD or Blu-Ray (n)

Did I mention that I'm a newbie?? .. I would greatly appreciate any recommendation as to what format (and program) to use for that no (or almost no) picture quality loss.

Hello you can try Generic MP4/AVC
and or
MPEG-Passthrough with CloneDVD mobile.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendation as to what format (and program) to use for that no (or almost no) picture quality loss.
In CloneDVD mobile, use Generic MP4/AVC.
You can try encoding a single chapter first to decide if the quality is acceptable to your eyes.
On the Title Configuration section: click the scissors icon then move the markers that show under the preview window to select a single (random) chapter.

On the Output Method section:
Resolution: select the highest available via the drop-down menu.
Video Quality: move the slider all the way to the right & select 2 pass on the drop down menu.

In CloneDVD mobile, use Generic MP4/AVC.
You can try encoding a single chapter first to decide if the quality is acceptable to your eyes.
On the Title Configuration section: click the scissors icon then move the markers that show under the preview window to select a single (random) chapter.

On the Output Method section:
Resolution: select the highest available via the drop-down menu.
Video Quality: move the slider all the way to the right & select 2 pass on the drop down menu.

Is 2pass deinterlace beter than 1pass ?

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Back