• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

MKV - DTS Sound Help needed please

MK-Slinky

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find a solution in these forums.

I'm new to CloneBD so as a test run I've just ripped my favourite blu-ray 'Fury' to 'MKV' to play on my Sony Blu-ray Player via it's USB socket. During the initial ripping procedure in the audio selection I had a choice of soundtracks to include in the MKV file, these were 5.1 audio or DTS. I chose DTS since my player and cinema system can decode this nicely.

After completing my first successful rip I popped it into my blu-ray player but the audio information displayed on my TV screen suggested that the audio being detected by my blu-ray player was in fact 5.1 AC3 48 kHz not DTS as expected.

However, on my Sony Cinema Receiver the audio was shown as 5.1 (48 kHz PCM) - Normally with DTS titles it will say 'DTS', am I missing something?

The only way the devs can clarify if its a "header" typo, a bug or if actual recoding has taken place is if you submit a CloneBD logfile. Please redo the encode and at the completion screen click the button to create a logfile. Attach that to your next reply. Other than that over the years there have been MULTIPLE debates as to what's best or if anyone can even hear a difference. Sounds all the same to me.

Thanks Ch3vrOn, will do this over the next couple of days. Yes there's plenty of debates about the subject of audio formats, I've been slammed before for saying that 'High Res Audio' (24 Bit FLAC) sounds better than regular MP3's but anyone with a High Res player will no the answer to that one :) DTS does sound better than regular 5.1 on my Sony Cinema System but I think there's lots of variables in peoples perception of quality, speakers and system make a BIG difference to the listening experience.

I'm new to CloneBD so as a test run I've just ripped my favourite blu-ray 'Fury' to 'MKV' to play on my Sony Blu-ray Player via it's USB socket. During the initial ripping procedure in the audio selection I had a choice of soundtracks to include in the MKV file, these were 5.1 audio or DTS. I chose DTS since my player and cinema system can decode this nicely.

After completing my first successful rip I popped it into my blu-ray player but the audio information displayed on my TV screen suggested that the audio being detected by my blu-ray player was in fact 5.1 AC3 48 kHz not DTS as expected.

This is a bit like what you wrote in another thread of yours "audio to choose from".
I feel there is some misconception about what that means.

You're probably talking about the tracks shown on the selection page. That's not a candy shop, where you can select the format of your liking.
Those are the audio tracks that are on the original disc.
They don't have all the same content (main audio track, commentary, ...) - if you want to choose one, please use the integrated preview player and listen to the content, so you know what you're selecting. The audio format is not important.
Later - on the output page, you select the format of the OUTPUT. There you probably selected "AC3". So the DTS track got converted to AC3.

DTS does sound better than regular 5.1
DTS usually is "regular 5.1".

Maybe you mean DTS HD, which is 7.1 a lot these days, but also often 5.1.

Thanks for your help Pete :)

I guess I'm still finding my way round the settings at the moment, it's not quite so easy to understand as CloneDVD. That said I've not created any coasters as yet :)

So with your above advice in mind I've re-applied it to another English speaking film 'Lone Survivor'. On my previous burn to disc I later discovered the forced subs were missing and so I thought I would give it another go. Using the preview player as suggested I have now correctly identified the forced subs track so this does now make sense.

However, in the screenshot below I'm not sure if I need to also select sub titles or not? Does this section of CloneBD respect my choices from the previous page? On the previous page I selected [English DTS] & [English Subs] which showed the forced subs. To put it another way, if I don't select the subtitles check box as shown in the image below, will I still see the forced subtitles when someone speaks in Afghan?

Attachments

• 2017-08-21.png
    2017-08-21.png
    283.8 KB · Views: 8
However, in the screenshot below I'm not sure if I need to also select sub titles or not? Does this section of CloneBD respect my choices from the previous page? On the previous page I selected [English DTS] & [English Subs] which showed the forced subs. To put it another way, if I don't select the subtitles check box as shown in the image below, will I still see the forced subtitles when someone speaks in Afghan?

On the previous page you selected what gets copied, that can be multiple audio/subtitle tracks.
That dropdown in the image selects the "default" track, meaning what is supposed to be active automatically when you start the movie.
CloneBD adds a popup menu (did you know that?) which allows you to change audio/sub languages during playback.

Yes I gathered I could select multiple audio tracks in the previous window. What puzzles me and I still don't fully understand is, MUST I select that subtitle box shown in my screenshot for the forced subs to work?

At a guess I'm assuming that if I do select the subtitles to be active from the start it will only play the forced subs as and when they are needed at specific points in the movie.

No I didn't know about the CloneBD pop-up menu, how is that activated? I did see the other CloneBD menu which replaces the original start movie menu but I don't like the look of that, it's too much like what you'd see on an amateur home movie for my liking, sorry!

Yes I gathered I could select multiple audio tracks in the previous window. What puzzles me and I still don't fully understand is, MUST I select that subtitle box shown in my screenshot for the forced subs to work?

That box let's you select a sub or audio track, that will be active automatically when you start the movie. That's all.
You can still change the audio and subtitle language/track during playback using the popup menu.

So no - you don't have to. But then you'll have to select the subtitle when playing back.

Ah I see, that explains why I wasn't getting DTS as per my first post, I did notice in that final window that DTS was greyed out and AC3 was active.

So how do I activate the CloneBD pop-up menu during playback? Is this like a regular Blu-ray pop-up menu which is activated via the up/down arrows?

I think Pete is talking about the orange slide out menu on the right which is visible on the title selection screen

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Thanks CH3vrOn, trust me to get it wrong. I can imagine I would have had lots of fun trying to activate that on my Blu-ray player! :LOL:

I think Pete is talking about the orange slide out menu on the right which is visible on the title selection screen
No, I meant the popup menu during playback (disc in licensed blu-ray player normal-popup-menu).
In Partial disc copy mode CloneBD adds a popup menu.

I can imagine I would have had lots of fun trying to activate that on my Blu-ray player! :LOL:
Actually no, that's how it was meant. Popup menu button on your remote for your BD player.

LOL.., and you both work for them! :ROFLMAO: Okay so one of you does anyway.

All I need do now is work out how to license my Sony Blu-ray player? :LOL:

Thanks for your help guys :thankyou:

license it? If it's a standalone player it was by the manufacturer or it wouldn't have full BD support (like java menu's). That's nothing you have to worry about.

Yes, just picking up on Pete's comment above... I knew I didn't need a license for it really, not sure why Pete mentioned that?!

"No, I meant the popup menu during playback (disc in licensed blu-ray player normal-popup-menu)".

simple. You have licensed ones like real standalones (Sony, Panasonic,...) and you ahve unlicensed ones like KoDi, android boxes, and things like Oppo 95's. Those arent fully licensed players and only have basic (non-java based) menu support, no menu support at all, or implement a "lite" menu of their own making.

Pah...! Modern technology is becoming far fussy these days. I'm what you might call 'old school' in that respect, if I want a Blu-ray player I buy a Blu-ray player, I can't be doing with devices that only do the easy bits. I did buy a FireTV Stick but that was more a case of having to seeing as my flagship Sony device crashed every time I accessed the Amazon Digital app, same thing happened with YouTube. Thankfully Sony did compensate me with £75 eventually and I did get a brand new machine but that had the same trouble :banghead: I told them all along that it effected all those particular models plus others besides but did they listen? NO!! Rubbish greedy money grabbing company only interested in profits and to hell with customer satisfaction, they lost my custom that's for sure.:mad:

Speaking of that pop-up menu, I did activate it earlier this evening and it worked well, praise be for small mercies!

Back