• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Miss Peregrine HFPC and Blu-Ray in General

Broseph

I'm a blu-ray newbie, long time DVD ripper though. It seems Blu-ray gives me a lot of issues. The way I backup my movies is to use AnyDVD's "rip to disk" option, then use handbrake to create a transcoded mpeg-4 movie of the main title.

I tried doing this with the latest "Mechanic" movie and ran into all kinds of problems. After looking into it, it seems like something called cinavia (not sure if I spelled that right) prevented AnyDVD from ripping it correctly and the order of the scenes got all scrambled.

Now I've got a Blu-ray of Miss Peregrine that isn't working either, but I'm not sure if it's for the same or different reasons. It rips to disk OK, leaving a directory on-disk of about 40 GB in size, but when I try to use handbrake to transcode the main feature, I end up with a 22 megabyte file. I think it's boiling down to the same problem -- an inability to autodetect the "main" movie because the playlist files number in the hundreds. Again, I could be wrong, I'm still new at Blu-ray backups.

Anydvd log is attached. Any tips are greatly appreciated! I want to be able to backup Blu-ray's like I do with my DVDs, but it's not clear to me what I am doing wrong.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.0.9.0_Info_D_Miss Peregrine HFPC.ziplog
    920 KB · Views: 3
I'm a blu-ray newbie, long time DVD ripper though. It seems Blu-ray gives me a lot of issues. The way I backup my movies is to use AnyDVD's "rip to disk" option, then use handbrake to create a transcoded mpeg-4 movie of the main title.

I tried doing this with the latest "Mechanic" movie and ran into all kinds of problems. After looking into it, it seems like something called cinavia (not sure if I spelled that right) prevented AnyDVD from ripping it correctly and the order of the scenes got all scrambled.

Now I've got a Blu-ray of Miss Peregrine that isn't working either, but I'm not sure if it's for the same or different reasons. It rips to disk OK, leaving a directory on-disk of about 40 GB in size, but when I try to use handbrake to transcode the main feature, I end up with a 22 megabyte file. I think it's boiling down to the same problem -- an inability to autodetect the "main" movie because the playlist files number in the hundreds. Again, I could be wrong, I'm still new at Blu-ray backups.

Anydvd log is attached. Any tips are greatly appreciated! I want to be able to backup Blu-ray's like I do with my DVDs, but it's not clear to me what I am doing wrong.
Welcome to the Forum.

Some tips for you:

1) You should always rip to ISO for your Blu-ray disc. It is not recommended to rip to hard disc (you can do that for DVDs, yes, but not Blu-ray.)

2) In AnyDVD HD, it can block the Cinavia signal from working on stuff like PowerDVD, but you need it (AnyDVD HD) and CloneBD (offered by elby via this site--it has a trial period until they have the CloneBD app completely bug free) to make a Blu-ray disc or ISO that isn't affected by Cinavia.

A word of caution though: the resulting Cinavia-free ISO/burned Blu-ray disc will have the audio downgraded to AC-3, and any background noise or music will sound off/distorted, so you have been warned.

Good luck.

Welcome to the Forum.

Some tips for you:

1) You should always rip to ISO for your Blu-ray disc. It is not recommended to rip to hard disc (you can do that for DVDs, yes, but not Blu-ray.)

2) In AnyDVD HD, it can block the Cinavia signal from working on stuff like PowerDVD, but you need it (AnyDVD HD) and CloneBD (offered by elby via this site--it has a trial period until they have the CloneBD app completely bug free) to make a Blu-ray disc or ISO that isn't affected by Cinavia.

A word of caution though: the resulting Cinavia-free ISO/burned Blu-ray disc will have the audio downgraded to AC-3, and any background noise or music will sound off/distorted, so you have been warned.

Good luck.

Thanks for the warm welcome. That's really nice, and so are the pointers! The ISO option never occurred to me, because older versions of AnyDVD used to warn me against it, in favor of "Rip to Disk". The warning was something along the lines of "You can't use DVDshrink or other optimization tools if you create an ISO. You should Rip to Disk instead"...

So thank you for that, in particular, @whatever_gong82

Background noise and audio distortion don't sound like very nice side effects, so I hope the distortion isn't too severe. I'm excited to give it a try though, and to support RedFox by purchasing another product from their product suite (once the bugs are worked out of CloneBD). I love the freedom that RedFox gives me to backup my DVDs and Blu-Rays, like the ones I get as holiday gifts, the ones I buy off amazon, and even the ones I get stuck with when I forget to return them to the rental kiosk and they end up charging me 200% for having become the accidental owner of a rental copy. :p

Curiosity has me wondering though if cinavia will continue to present problems to consumers in the long term, or if is this more a short term setback? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
@Broseph,

Welcome to the forums! Scene order scrambling and many playlists are a symptom of ScreenPass protection. That's not Cinavia, and fixing ScreenPass problems won't have any effect on sound. It's a matter of the RedFox developers looking at your logfile (which has to be from the original disc) and figuring out which of the many playlists is the real main feature. They then add that information to their online protection database (OPD) and you just have to put the original disc back into your computer and let AnyDVD HD decrypt your disc again. Most of the time you then have a properly decrypted disc and the AnyDVD HD status page should show you the right playlist to use. Sometimes they may need one more newly generated logfile before the fix is done.

Be aware that Handbrake has its own numbering scheme for playlists and you need to check that the MPLS file listed in AnyDVD HD status matches the MPLS file in Handbrake to get the right main feature. Or you could use the free version of CloneBD which does most transcoding you might need and works really well with AnyDVD HD.

ISO is recommended for Blu-ray rips because the disc structure makes much use of datastructures that can use files or even sectors multiple times. 3D movies do this on purpose and not for copy protection. So the disc can appear HUGE in terms of content (100's of gigabytes if you use Windows Explorer to try and figure out the disc content size) but still fit just fine on a 50Gig disc.

Cheers,

--michael

Your log file looks fine. That disc (Peregrine) is BD+ protected and the protection got removed.
So whatever problems you got, they're probably with Handbrake.

Hot tip: try CloneBD. It's better and works perfectly together with AnyDVD.
Plus it does a lot more.

About the other disc: we'd need to see a log file, but chances are, that you'll get it done in an instant when using CloneBD (which will automatically pick the correct playlist, after AnyDVD has done its job).

I use the same method as you, but in handbrake you must select the correct title. Those disk have screen pass. Use AnyDVD's status window the get the good playlist (mpls). Then select that playlist from the title drop down in handbrake. Example: AnyDVD good playlist 693, in Handbrake you would select title ### 00693.mpls from the drop down.

Thanks for the warm welcome. That's really nice, and so are the pointers! The ISO option never occurred to me, because older versions of AnyDVD used to warn me against it, in favor of "Rip to Disk". The warning was something along the lines of "You can't use DVDshrink or other optimization tools if you create an ISO. You should Rip to Disk instead"...

So thank you for that, in particular, @whatever_gong82

Background noise and audio distortion don't sound like very nice side effects, so I hope the distortion isn't too severe. I'm excited to give it a try though, and to support RedFox by purchasing another product from their product suite (once the bugs are worked out of CloneBD). I love the freedom that RedFox gives me to backup my DVDs and Blu-Rays, like the ones I get as holiday gifts, the ones I buy off amazon, and even the ones I get stuck with when I forget to return them to the rental kiosk and they end up charging me 200% for having become the accidental owner of a rental copy. :p

Curiosity has me wondering though if cinavia will continue to present problems to consumers in the long term, or if is this more a short term setback? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!
You've heard from the other people on here, and their statements are on point and correct.

My opinion on Cinavia--and mine alone---is this: It won't affect at all those that post films/shows on illegal sites (we don't do that here--just to let everyone reading this know right off the bat--we back up our legally purchased Blu-ray/DVDs for our private use only) because they are thieves. Those characters can already go and play Cinavia enabled files with stuff that will play just about anything, such as MPC or VLC.

Cinavia only punishes legitimate and legal people that just want to watch their show or movie, and just want to not have to go through a bunch of steps just to play the disc. There ate times when you can have trouble playing your legit disc on an Cinavia enabled player due to some weird setting or what not, then you have to wait for the manufacturer to do an online update so that you can play your disc--and that could take a week or more.

As long as you use AnyDVD HD with something like PowerDVD, and have the AnyDVD HD settings set to default, you'll never have to worry about your Blu-ray/DVD not playing if it contains Cinavia.

:)

Back