• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Minimum Equipment Needed to view HD DVD material on PC

mick2006

Does anyone know the minimum requirements for viewing ripped HD DVD on a pc? In my case I have an FX-51 CPU with a ATI Radeon 9800XT video card. I have windows xp and MCE 2005 as operating systems. I also noticed that someone else asked how to rip HD DVD's to the hard drive using the XBOX 360 HD drive-I would also need to know this info.

Does anyone know the minimum requirements for viewing ripped HD DVD on a pc? In my case I have an FX-51 CPU with a ATI Radeon 9800XT video card. I have windows xp and MCE 2005 as operating systems. I also noticed that someone else asked how to rip HD DVD's to the hard drive using the XBOX 360 HD drive-I would also need to know this info.

http://www.cyberlink.com/english/support/bdhd_support/system_requirement.jsp

EDIT:
The faster the processor, the better. Just watched "Lucky # Slevin" and this MPEG-4 AVC encoded title maxxed out an Intel Core2Duo @2.4GHz in some demanding scenes.
HW acceleration in the Nvidia Graphics card doesn't seem to work with MPEG-4 AVC discs.

Last edited:
http://www.cyberlink.com/english/support/bdhd_support/system_requirement.jsp

EDIT:
The faster the processor, the better. Just watched "Lucky # Slevin" and this MPEG-4 AVC encoded title maxxed out an Intel Core2Duo @2.4GHz in some demanding scenes.
HW acceleration in the Nvidia Graphics card doesn't seem to work with MPEG-4 AVC discs.

There's a shock. The Nvidia driver quality has sucked lately. Although, I still suspect that PowerDVD Ultra has some serious bugs in it at this stage. I really hope we see an update soon.

There's a shock. The Nvidia driver quality has sucked lately. Although, I still suspect that PowerDVD Ultra has some serious bugs in it at this stage. I really hope we see an update soon.
I am not saying it is NVidia's fault (are they saying they support MPEG-4 AVC (H264) HD video acceleration?). I am just saying, it doesn't work. :(
I can't measure any (significant) difference in CPU load (NVidia 7950).

I am not saying it is NVidia's fault (are they saying they support MPEG-4 AVC (H264) HD video acceleration?). I am just saying, it doesn't work. :(
I can't measure any (significant) difference in CPU load (NVidia 7950).

I know you're not saying it's NVidia's fault, but, the fact is if you look at the current driver mess they have going on, it's very likely their issue. (For the record, they CLAIM to do H264 decoding in hardware on the higher cards. ha ha ha).

Ok guys. What about nVidia PureVideo HD technology?

From the PureVideo faq:

What do I need to have the best experience playing Blu-ray or HD DVD movies on a PC?
To enjoy the ultimate HD DVD or Blu-ray experience on a PC, you’ll need:

- A PCI Express graphics card with NVIDIA® GeForce® 7 Series HDCP-capable GPU*, secure HDCP CryptoROM, and 256MB graphics memory
- NVIDIA® ForceWare® graphics drivers that feature PureVideo HD technology
- An optical disc drive that supports Blu-ray and/or HD DVD movie playback
- Blu-ray or HD DVD movie player software with PureVideo HD hardware acceleration of H.264, VC-1, and MPEG-2 high-definition content
- A dual-core CPU with 1GB of RAM is recommended

For nVidio users - is PureVideo a software codec-package to consider to watch HD media (With WMP11/MCE as player software)?

Last edited:
Ok guys. What about nVidia PureVideo HD technology?

From the PureVideo faq:

What do I need to have the best experience playing Blu-ray or HD DVD movies on a PC?
To enjoy the ultimate HD DVD or Blu-ray experience on a PC, you’ll need:

- A PCI Express graphics card with NVIDIA® GeForce® 7 Series HDCP-capable GPU*, secure HDCP CryptoROM, and 256MB graphics memory
- NVIDIA® ForceWare® graphics drivers that feature PureVideo HD technology
- An optical disc drive that supports Blu-ray and/or HD DVD movie playback
- Blu-ray or HD DVD movie player software with PureVideo HD hardware acceleration of H.264, VC-1, and MPEG-2 high-definition content
- A dual-core CPU with 1GB of RAM is recommended

For nVidio users - is PureVideo a software codec-package to consider to watch HD media (With WMP11/MCE as player software)?

It sounds to me that you have to have a graphics card that supports hardware acceleration of H.264 and movie player software that supports hardware acceleration too. It could be either the drivers or the software. I am sure that in a few months everything will start to be more stable.

I was able to play back using a 6600GT with latest drivers. I got slight stuttering, but very watchable. I upgraded to a 7900 GS (without HDCP) with 256mb and it is very smooth.

Back