Microsoft investigating Windows activation issues after closing a key loophole

tectpro

Translator (ms_MY)
Just in case anyone has the same problem.

I updated my BIOS to the latest version and got the message that my Windows is not activated after that.

Microsoft is addressing a significant issue where users who upgraded to Windows 10 or 11 from Windows 7 or 8 face activation problems after hardware changes or BIOS updates. This follows their recent move to block the use of Windows 7 and 8 keys for activating newer versions. If you've encountered similar issues, Microsoft recommends contacting their customer support. For more details, check out this article from here:
Code:
 https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/15/23958751/microsoft-windows-activation-issues-windows-7-8-upgrade-keys

Key Points:
  • Microsoft is investigating issues with Windows activation, particularly affecting those who upgraded to Windows 10 or 11 from Windows 7 or 8.
  • Users who upgraded for free and later changed hardware components or updated their BIOS face deactivation problems.
  • A specific case involved a user who, after upgrading PC parts and keeping the same Windows installation, couldn't reactivate Windows 10 Pro due to the discontinuation of support for Windows 7 product keys.
  • This issue arises from Microsoft's recent decision to block Windows 7 and 8 keys from activating Windows 10 and 11.
  • The problem is significant for custom PC builders, as BIOS upgrades can trigger Windows reactivation.
  • Microsoft acknowledges the issue and advises affected customers to contact customer support.

Heh, lemme try ... need a BIOS update anyway...

EDIT: nope, no issues ... guess I'm not in scope as my OS was not an upgrade but a fresh installed Windows 10 :unsure:

Last edited:
Heh, lemme try ... need a BIOS update anyway...

EDIT: nope, no issues ... guess I'm not in scope as my OS was not an upgrade but a fresh installed Windows 10 :unsure:
Did you use a Win 7 key at that time?
It took like 30 minutes before the text appeared at the bottom right of the screen that my Windows is no longer activated.

Back