• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Memory leak?

ocd

If I try copying VOBs off of a mounted image (via "xcopy"), my system cache (as reported by Task Manager) grows until there's essentially no available memory left, and my system grinds to a halt. The cache also doesn't get released until I reboot.

If I run a program that allocates memory as fast as it can, I don't see the System Cache release any of its memory, instead I see the page file grow as soon as available memory is low. (I would expect the system cache to decrease as the memory requirements increase. System Monitor tells me there's only 44MB in the file cache, even when System Cache in Task Manager says 900MB.)

On the other hand, when doing the copy, available memory simply gets low and the system starts to seize up. I would think it was out of memory, except there's basically no page file usage. Again, even after aborting the copy, the system is still sluggish and the System Cache is stuck high.

If I run a program that simply reads a single VOB (no writing), I see the same behavior.

If I pass FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING to Windows, then the System Cache doesn't grow out of control. (But it looks like it's about half the speed.) Also, ripping with AnyDVD's "Rip Video DVD" doesn't exhibit the problem (I suspect it's using this flag as well).

And, if I do any of these tests from any non-VCD source, there's no problem.

Any ideas? What other information would be helpful for chasing this down? I'm running Windows XP SP3, 1GB RAM, VCD 5.4.5.0, .iso stored locally on a SATA SSD.

If I try copying VOBs off of a mounted image (via "xcopy"), my system cache (as reported by Task Manager) grows until there's essentially no available memory left, and my system grinds to a halt. The cache also doesn't get released until I reboot.

If I run a program that allocates memory as fast as it can, I don't see the System Cache release any of its memory, instead I see the page file grow as soon as available memory is low. (I would expect the system cache to decrease as the memory requirements increase. System Monitor tells me there's only 44MB in the file cache, even when System Cache in Task Manager says 900MB.)

On the other hand, when doing the copy, available memory simply gets low and the system starts to seize up. I would think it was out of memory, except there's basically no page file usage. Again, even after aborting the copy, the system is still sluggish and the System Cache is stuck high.

If I run a program that simply reads a single VOB (no writing), I see the same behavior.

If I pass FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING to Windows, then the System Cache doesn't grow out of control. (But it looks like it's about half the speed.) Also, ripping with AnyDVD's "Rip Video DVD" doesn't exhibit the problem (I suspect it's using this flag as well).

And, if I do any of these tests from any non-VCD source, there's no problem.

Any ideas? What other information would be helpful for chasing this down? I'm running Windows XP SP3, 1GB RAM, VCD 5.4.5.0, .iso stored locally on a SATA SSD.
Sorry for the late reply, I overlooked your post. Is "Buffered I/O" in VCD prefs enabled or disabled? Does changing this setting make any difference? (You need to re-mount the image for the setting to take effect).

Back