• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

MediaPortal 1 + Reclock: Is it possible to get playback without dropped frames?

I changed XP to Vista and now the problems are much worse than earlier. Once in every 2 seconds the video "jumps" several frames.

Where should I look first?

Is there a list of recommended settings for MediaPortal, ATI CCC and ReClock?

Is this consistent (always happens) or does it only happen every now and again, say on average one in 5 or one in 10 times you start playback?

All video types - DVD, mkv, avi - or just some?

What about if you use WMP instead? Same?

Just x264 (mkv) in 1080p24. Haven't yet tried other video types though, but 50 Hz material seems to work.

I really do not know. I would try a few different players and renderers and see if you get consistent results.

I would try using 23.976Hz and 24Hz refresh rate, if you can, and see if that changes things. If all else fails I would use Reclock to speed up 24p material to 25p@50Hz. That is as smooth as can be and with pitch correction you will not notice the difference, unless you are using a stop watch!

I do not have a 24p capable set but, from reading elsewhere, it seems 24p is not yet well implemented in many displays and/or drivers.

I tried 50 Hz and the result was terrible. Frames were skipped approximately 3 times a second. I suspect there is something wrong with my Vista setup. Just don't have a clue what I should check.

Last edited:
I did some more experiencing and now I'm completely puzzled!

First I used an x264 video with 23.976 fps and tested different frame rates:
1080P24 - seems like one frame is skipped once every 5-10 seconds
720P50 - terrible stutter several times per second
1080P50 - no stutter at all, finally! (sound and video massively out of sync though ;)

Then I tried briefly 1080P50 with x264@24 fps, and the result: lots of stutter! (I didn't have time to test that video with other modes, could do it later.)

I really don't understand how this is so difficult??

I did some more experiencing and now I'm completely puzzled!

First I used an x264 video with 23.976 fps and tested different frame rates:
1080P24 - seems like one frame is skipped once every 5-10 seconds
720P50 - terrible stutter several times per second
1080P50 - no stutter at all, finally! (sound and video massively out of sync though ;)

Then I tried briefly 1080P50 with x264@24 fps, and the result: lots of stutter! (I didn't have time to test that video with other modes, could do it later.)

I really don't understand how this is so difficult??
What do you mean "x264 video with 23.976 fps " and " x264@24 fps" are you saying some of your x264 videos are encoded at exactly 24fps, not 23.976fps? :confused: What is their source? Are you sure they are properly encoded?

What do you mean "x264 video with 23.976 fps " and " x264@24 fps" are you saying some of your x264 videos are encoded at exactly 24fps, not 23.976fps? :confused: What is their source? Are you sure they are properly encoded?

Yes, I have mkvs at 24 fps and 23,976, and both are perfectly legitimate.

From reclock's readme:
"Do you remember that DIVX can be 24 fps, 25 fps, 23.976 fps, 29.97 fps, or even 25.001 fps?"

I tested five x264 files, all at 23.976 fps. In 1080P50 two of those gave "perfect" playback with MP and Reclock, three of them stuttered! Gets even stranger...

With 1080P24 I tried all different display modes, but in all cases there was so much stutter that it was unwatchable.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the CPU usage for all of them? Some may be DXVA conformant and some not. CPU does not need to max out to cause stutter.

Have you looked at the CPU usage for all of them? Some may be DXVA conformant and some not. CPU does not need to max out to cause stutter.

I'm not using DXVA at all, because the CPU is (with 720P) only 25%.

This has to be related also to Vista, because with XP I never experienced such terrible stutter (though I never accomplished perfect playback either, but it was bearable). I suspect there is something I should change in Vista's config.

Yeah maybe. This no longer sounds like a Reclock problem. I would head over to AVSForums and pose your problem there. You may get some fresh ideas. I am still on XP and not looking forward to trying to move this delicate house of cards to Win7 maybe late this year!

I think I found the solution. I uninstalled ATI's generic drivers v9.2 and installed the latest ATI drivers found in Gigabyte's (mobo's vendor) web site. They are an older version, but there has to be some differences compared to the generic drivers, as now all videos I've tried so far work perfectly with 720@50!

Back